The Atonement

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

The Atonement

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

To all true Christians there is nothing more important to our salvation than "The Atonement of Jesus Christ".

Having said that, is it not therefore extremely important to every individual to understand fully what and how the atonement works for our benefit?

What does the atonement do or does not do?

What is required on our part to receive the full benefits of the atonement?

What and when and by whom did the atonement begin?

Can anyone clearly show all scriptures pertaining to the atonement?

I look forward to hearing your "take" on this most important topic.

Kind regards,
RW

Brightfame52
Sage

Re: The Atonement

Post #431

Post by Brightfame52 »

It took away our sins, if He died for you !

Another accomplishment of the Death of Christ for all whom He died, He has taken away their sins, forever !

John the Baptist had it right when he stated this fact Jn 1:29

29The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

The world here cannot mean every single person in the world without exception, because Jesus makes it clear that some shall die in their sins John 8:24

I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

If they had sins they could die in, then Christ did not take them away as the lamb of God, simple as that !

But world here identifies the scope of which those whose sins have been taken away are word wide, bot jew and gentile !

And Christ bare them away, removed them as far as the east is from the west as David said Ps 103:12

12As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

The word removed is the hebrew word rachaq:

to be or become far, be or become distant, be removed, go far away

a) (Qal) to be far, be distant

b) (Piel) to send far away, extend

c) (Hiphil)

1) to make or exhibit distance, be gone far

2) to remove, put far away

2) (Niphal) loose

The Ideal is like that of the scapegoat on the Day of Atonement, observe Lev 16:21-22

21And Aaron shall lay both his hands upon the head of the live goat, and confess over him all the iniquities of the children of Israel, and all their transgressions in all their sins, putting them upon the head of the goat, and shall send him away by the hand of a fit man into the wilderness:

22And the goat shall bear upon him all their iniquities unto a land not inhabited: and he shall let go the goat in the wilderness.

But as you can see, the type here pertained to only ethnic jews of Israel who were Nationally a Chosen People, but John makes it clear that the Antitype, Christ, He took away the sins of people all over the world, the gentiles also !

Now other scriptures that prove that those Christ died for, it was for the purpose of taking away their sins 1 Jn 3:5

5And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

1 Jn 4:10

10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. or to take away our sins by appeasing Divine Law and Justice on our Behalf !

Daniel prophesying of this Great work accomplished by Christ for His People states it Like this Dan 9:24

24Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Daniel here is really saying the same thing as John in Jn 1:29.

So none for whom Christ died has one sin to be punished for, not even unbelief, which is a one of the many sins Christ made an end of !

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #432

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #430]

Did you read this accomplishment of the atonement ?

viewtopic.php?p=1081902#p1081902

Lets discuss this ?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #433

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #430]

Did you read this accomplishment of the atonement ?

viewtopic.php?p=1081902#p1081902

Lets discuss this ?

Sure. In that posting your conclusion was as follows:
Brightfame52 wrote:No one Christ died for owes any debt of sin against God's Law. That goes for Believer or Unbeliever who Christ died for, because Christ has already paid their debt to God's Law and Justice.
So what? What is your point?

Here is the one requirement to gain everlasting life under the New Testament Covenant:

John 3:16 wrote:For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.

If the entire human race is free from sin thanks to the atonement, as you claim, but none of them believe in Jesus Christ, how many of them will become an heir to everlasting life under the New Testament?

The correct answer is zero!

On the other hand, how many humans having sins imputed against them and believing in Jesus as their Savior will live forever?

Correct answer: All of them!

Why? Because our works under the law to remain sinless no longer saves anyone.

Atonement or forgiveness of sins was required for salvation under the Old Testament.

We are no longer under the laws of the Old Testament.

Thus, atonement for our sins is no longer necessary to gain everlasting life.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #434

Post by Brightfame52 »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #433]

I cant believe you asked me what my point was when I made it clear:

No one Christ died for owes any debt of sin against God's Law.

I explained why, did you understand ?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #435

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #433]

Actually, you claimed that Christ died for believers and nonbelievers alike. So there would be no sin imputed against any human as Jesus had paid the wages for all of mankind's sins. Thus freeing us to do whatever we so desire.

What you do not understand is that being sinless no longer gains one everlasting conscious life.

Salvation is no longer tied to atonement. That was in the Old Testament.

The word atone or atonement appears 70 times in the King James Bible. Sixty-nine times in the Old Testament and once in the New Testament in Romans 5:11.

And Romans 5:11 is translated using the word "atonement" in only four of the other numerous different translations.

"Reconciliation" is the most widely word used. For example:

Romans 5:10-11 New International Version wrote:
10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #436

Post by Brightfame52 »

The Accomplishments of Christ ! Redeem from all iniquity

What did the Death of Christ actually accomplish for all whom He died for ? You know there is no Preaching Christ and Him crucified 1 Cor 1:23;2:2 as a object of Faith if what He accomplished and effected are not publicized, as well as whom He accomplished it for. Now did the Death of Christ redeem from all iniquity those He gave Himself for ? Lets read Titus 2:14-15

14Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

15These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

And notice the beginning of vs15 Paul said " Speak these things" or Preach them. Paul was telling Titus to Preach these Truths of the Gospel, what Christ has done. Peter wrote of the same things about Christ redemptive effects 1 Pet 1:18-19

18Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

19But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:

However the False Gospel, preached by false witnesses, tell us that Christ's Death does not redeem all for whom He died, but that it [His Death] merely makes all men without exception redeemable !

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #437

Post by Brightfame52 »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:32 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:16 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #433]

Actually, you claimed that Christ died for believers and nonbelievers alike. So there would be no sin imputed against any human as Jesus had paid the wages for all of mankind's sins. Thus freeing us to do whatever we so desire.

What you do not understand is that being sinless no longer gains one everlasting conscious life.

Salvation is no longer tied to atonement. That was in the Old Testament.

The word atone or atonement appears 70 times in the King James Bible. Sixty-nine times in the Old Testament and once in the New Testament in Romans 5:11.

And Romans 5:11 is translated using the word "atonement" in only four of the other numerous different translations.

"Reconciliation" is the most widely word used. For example:

Romans 5:10-11 New International Version wrote:
10 For if, while we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life!

11 Not only is this so, but we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received reconciliation.

Obviously you dont pay attention to my posts, or you dont understand them.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #438

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am Obviously you dont pay attention to my posts, or you dont understand them.
It's the latter. Here is an example:
Brightfame52 wrote:No one Christ died for owes any debt of sin against God's Law. That goes for Believer or Unbeliever who Christ died for, because Christ has already paid their debt to God's Law and Justice.
Myth-one.com wrote:You claimed that Christ died for believers and nonbelievers alike. So there would be no sin imputed against any human as Jesus has paid the wages for all of mankind's sins.
Did I understand what you wrote above correctly?

Brightfame52
Sage

Post #439

Post by Brightfame52 »

myth-one.com wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:10 pm
Brightfame52 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:49 am Obviously you dont pay attention to my posts, or you dont understand them.
It's the latter. Here is an example:
Myth-one.com wrote:You claimed that Christ died for believers and nonbelievers alike. So there would be no sin imputed against any human as Jesus has paid the wages for all of mankind's sins.
Did I understand what you wrote above correctly?
How can anyone Christ died for owe any sin debt, when Christ took away their sin debt ? If anyone dies in their sins, its obvious Christ didnt die for them.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #440

Post by myth-one.com »

Brightfame52 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:07 pm No one Christ died for owes any debt of sin against God's Law. That goes for Believer or Unbeliever who Christ died for, because Christ has already paid their debt to God's Law and Justice.
Christianity divides humanity into two groups -- believers and nonbelievers.

So believers plus nonbelievers equals all humanity.

Are you claiming that Jesus has already paid the wages of sin for all humanity?

It's a yes or no question.