The Biblical Jesus - John 10:38

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Biblical Jesus - John 10:38

Post #1

Post by William »

“But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.”

Q: Should all the actions attributed to the biblical Jesus be taken literally?

William
Savant

Re: The Biblical Jesus - John 10:38

Post #21

Post by William »

tam wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:51 pm Peace to you,
William wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm I ask the question because I think most Christians agree that the Biblical Jesus should be taken literally...so this makes me wonder why they also believe that the resurrection happened, that Jesus could possibly had died - given the superpowers his body had.

That is why I created the thread
"Belief in The Resurrection - Faith, or Fact Based"
HE Himself had power (from His Father), but His flesh was just flesh (of a man), capable of being injured and dying.

Peace again.
Capable of pain and death, why ignore the possibility that could be staged to look that way?

tam
Savant

Post #22

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
William wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:56 pm
William wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 pm I ask the question because I think most Christians agree that the Biblical Jesus should be taken literally...so this makes me wonder why they also believe that the resurrection happened, that Jesus could possibly had died - given the superpowers his body had.

HE Himself had power (from His Father), but His flesh was just flesh (of a man), capable of being injured and dying.

Peace again.
Capable of pain and death, why ignore the possibility that could be staged to look that way?
It is not so much a matter of ignoring it, as it is a matter of there being no reason to think that it had been 'staged to look that way'.

Peace again.

tam
Savant

Post #23

Post by tam »

[Replying to tam in post #23]

I will also add to my previous response that we also have reasons to reject that it 'had been staged to look that way'. Because Christ is the Truth and He spoke the truth. He said that He was going to die and be resurrected.

“The Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.”

I also don't see how staging something to look one way (when it is not at all that way) is truthful.

Peace again.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

tam wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:00 pm Peace to you,

Peace again.
It is not so much a matter of ignoring it, as it is a matter of there being no reason to think that it had been 'staged to look that way'.

Peace again.
Of course there are reasons. How else where you to become a devoted slavish sheep of Christ, if the event never happened just as it were reported?

And what reason would there be for you to believe that it couldn't possibly have been staged?

tam
Savant

Post #25

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
William wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:15 pm
tam wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:00 pm Peace to you,

Peace again.

Peace again.
Of course there are reasons. How else where you to become a devoted slavish sheep of Christ, if the event never happened just as it were reported?
Reasons to believe that the death, resurrection and ascension of Christ happened, yes. Reasons to believe that it had only been staged to look like his flesh was capable of pain and death, no.
And what reason would there be for you to believe that it couldn't possibly have been staged?
A - I do not need a reason NOT to believe something. I would need a reason TO believe something. I have no reason TO believe in this 'staging' suggestion.

B - Despite that, I did provide reasons I have to reject the 'staging' suggestion, in my previous post (the post I had added, just above).

Peace again.

(edited in the bolded words for clarity)
Last edited by tam on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

I think part of the realization is that a lot of Christians are claiming faith in [possible/glass half full] 'fact' rather than faith in [possible/glass half empty] 'fiction' by attempting to conflate belief with knowing.

They "know'" it is true/fact because they "believe" it is true/fact, as it sounds-out more convincing when worded that way.

aka; as "to still hold the cake one has eaten".

aka 'magic' /***

HarlanGeorge
Student

Post #27

Post by HarlanGeorge »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #19]

That is a valid point and an error on my behalf. However, are the two mutually exclusive? Would not one trigger the other?
The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.

ALBERT EINSTEIN