Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

#1 Jesus on hell

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?v ... 18%3A21-35
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

28 “But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down [a]at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. 32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.

35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother [c]his trespasses.”

Jesus tells a parable where the master actually tortures the unforgiving servant until he pays all that was due to him and after the parable says God will do this to each of us if we do not forgive each other.

* You can't torture a dead person or an annihilated person, so we know we have to be alive to be tortured.
* We can't pay our debt against God so we know the punishment is eternal.

How is that not a judgement of hell that supports traditional doctrine?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: #1 Jesus on hell

Post #291

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm Life is much better if God is Love.
I guess that's all you got. Hey, I agree. He is. Not punishing sin, as well as annihilation, would very much not be love.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm I can leave it at that.
Somehow I doubt it, but if so, good on ya.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm Someday you're going to have to explain your tangled interpretation to a loving, not sadistic, God.
Nope, and neither will you.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm You need to be working on that conversation -- not ours.
Well, when I need advice from you, I'll be sure and let you know. LOL! :D

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #292

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:35 pm Not punishing sin, as well as annihilation, would very much not be love.
How is annihilation not out of love?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #293

Post by JoeyKnothead »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #290]

Life is much better if God is Love.

I can leave it at that.

Someday you're going to have to explain your tangled interpretation to a loving, not sadistic, God.

You need to be working on that conversation -- not ours.
Naw now, I thought you had the better of this, til ya got all eye pokey.

Someone call Miss tam. See what she has to allow.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #294

Post by myth-one.com »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:51 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #290]

I can leave it at that.

Someday you're going to have to explain your tangled interpretation to a loving, not sadistic, God.

I did a search on "eye pokey" and got:

A poke in the eye is a form of trauma. It can occur during events where there are multiple people in close quarters, such as sporting events, concerts, or parties.

Probably not what you're talking about.

Define eye pokey.

And I've known you a long time, and always wanted to ask this question -- Is "Under Probation" part of your name?

I've never seen the two separated. :confused2:

Tcg
Savant

Post #295

Post by Tcg »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 pm And I've known you a long time, and always wanted to ask this question -- Is "Under Probation" part of your name?

Moderator Comment

You should stick to addressing a poster's comments rather than questioning details in their profile.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #296

Post by JoeyKnothead »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:56 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:08 pm

I can leave it at that.

I did a search on "eye pokey" and got:

A poke in the eye is a form of trauma. It can occur during events where there are multiple people in close quarters, such as sporting events, concerts, or parties.

Define eye pokey.

And I've known you a long time, and always wanted to ask this question -- Is "Under Probation" part of your name?

Where "eye pokey" is I felt you were a bit rude, uncharacteristically of you. That said, I still think you're on the right theocratic angle, but what do I know.

The probation thing reflects the many times I've been out of line, and now I use it to help remind me that I should be more respectful and polite to help keep me, and this site from becoming like American politics.
-Punkinhead Martin

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #297

Post by myth-one.com »

Responding to PinSetter, Myth-one.com wrote:Life is much better if God is Love.

I can leave it at that.

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pmNaw now, I thought you had the better of this, til ya got all eye pokey.

Myth-one.com wrote:I did a search on "eye pokey" and got:

Define eye pokey.

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pm Where "eye pokey" is I felt you were a bit rude, uncharacteristically of you. That said, I still think you're on the right theocratic angle, but what do I know.
I did not mean to be -- I apologize, and thanks for pointing that out. Let me know when I step out of line.

And don't count yourself short on what you know. You're certainly a different point of view, which needs to be addressed. And you're always entertaining.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pmThe probation thing reflects the many times I've been out of line, and now I use it to help remind me that I should be more respectful and polite to help keep me, and this site from becoming like American politics.
OK, but I remember many, many years ago (seems like about year 2008 when you were "under probation." as Joey Funicello or something.

And when you recently returned, it seemed that you were "under" almost immediately -- like you were being "profiled."

It's no big deal, it's comical to me. I've been moderated a few times recently also, guess I'm walking that line.

I'm identified as a "savant." I know it's just based on the number of posts -- but that's funny also:

Savant: a learned person, especially a distinguished scientist. See also idiot savant.

Well that ain't me!

Idiot savant: a person who has an exceptional aptitude in one particular field, such as music or mathematics, despite having significant impairment in other areas of intellectual or social functioning.

That ain't me either.

Always good to hear from you Joey! :D

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #298

Post by JoeyKnothead »

myth-one.com wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:10 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pm Where "eye pokey" is I felt you were a bit rude, uncharacteristically of you. That said, I still think you're on the right theocratic angle, but what do I know.
I did not mean to be -- I apologize, and thanks for pointing that out. Let me know when I step out of line.
That sure wasn't it a stone I throwed ;)
And don't count yourself short on what you know. You're certainly a different point of view, which needs to be addressed. And you're always entertaining.
Many thanks. With no more'n an eighth grade education, I hope I never come across as some know-it-all.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:56 pmThe probation thing reflects the many times I've been out of line, and now I use it to help remind me that I should be more respectful and polite to help keep me, and this site from becoming like American politics.
OK, but I remember many, many years ago (seems like about year 2008 when you were "under probation." as Joey Funicello or something.
An ex told me once, funning around, "You ain't a Knuccione (fake Italian name, long story), you're a knothead". I still love her, even if she stole all the furniture.
And when you recently returned, it seemed that you were "under" almost immediately -- like you were being "profiled."
Predicated on my previous difficulties. otseng saw fit to offer me a forgiveness for which I can't offer enough thanks. I ended up going into a facility for a time of years that really helped me get over some of my paranoid and hateful behaviors. Won't never be cured, but seek to do better all the same.
It's no big deal, it's comical to me. I've been moderated a few times recently also, guess I'm walking that line.
I remember I used to just rail on you, ahollering and fussing, and carrying on, and you always set the example of kind understanding, and maybe a bit of pity for my problems. You're among the reasons I try to do better.
I'm identified as a "savant." I know it's just based on the number of posts -- but that's funny also:
Savant: a learned person, especially a distinguished scientist. See also idiot savant.
Well that ain't me!
Idiot savant: a person who has an exceptional aptitude in one particular field, such as music or mathematics, despite having significant impairment in other areas of intellectual or social functioning.
That ain't me either.
Always good to hear from you Joey! :D
Mine got mixed up somewhere, it should say "Mayor of Doofusburg".

Thanks for your kind words. Know that I often seek out your posts because your theology comes from what the bible says. You're one who doesn't contort the words to fit your ideas, but who fits your ideas to the words. Respect - if I disagree on the particulars.
-Punkinhead Martin

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #299

Post by myth-one.com »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:22 pm I remember I used to just rail on you, ahollering and fussing, and carrying on, and you always set the example of kind understanding, and maybe a bit of pity for my problems. You're among the reasons I try to do better.
I never noticed any problems, and had no reason to "pity" you.

Let's call you a challenge!

onewithhim
Savant

Post #300

Post by onewithhim »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:58 am
onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 am Yes, of course Satan cannot stop the spread of the good news to the nations.
Right. He's totally bound from doing so, which is exactly what John says in Revelation 20:1-3.
onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:49 am When in the abyss, he will not be doing anything.
No, but when he's in the "lake of fire," he will be exerting no influence on anyone here in the new heaven and new earth. There, he will be in torment for eternity (day and night forever).

Grace and peace to you.
Yes, he will be (when thrown into the LOF) annihilated and that way be unable to do anything at all. In the meantime he is now fully able to do his dirty deeds and he is obviously doing so around the globe. We look forward to the time when he is bound in the abyss, during the Millennial Reign.