Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

#1 Jesus on hell

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?v ... 18%3A21-35
21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”

22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. 23 Therefore the kingdom of heaven is like a certain king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. 24 And when he had begun to settle accounts, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. 25 But as he was not able to pay, his master commanded that he be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and that payment be made. 26 The servant therefore fell down before him, saying, ‘Master, have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 27 Then the master of that servant was moved with compassion, released him, and forgave him the debt.

28 “But that servant went out and found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii; and he laid hands on him and took him by the throat, saying, ‘Pay me what you owe!’ 29 So his fellow servant fell down [a]at his feet and begged him, saying, ‘Have patience with me, and I will pay you all.’ 30 And he would not, but went and threw him into prison till he should pay the debt. 31 So when his fellow servants saw what had been done, they were very grieved, and came and told their master all that had been done. 32 Then his master, after he had called him, said to him, ‘You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you begged me. 33 Should you not also have had compassion on your fellow servant, just as I had pity on you?’ 34 And his master was angry, and delivered him to the torturers until he should pay all that was due to him.

35 “So My heavenly Father also will do to you if each of you, from his heart, does not forgive his brother [c]his trespasses.”

Jesus tells a parable where the master actually tortures the unforgiving servant until he pays all that was due to him and after the parable says God will do this to each of us if we do not forgive each other.

* You can't torture a dead person or an annihilated person, so we know we have to be alive to be tortured.
* We can't pay our debt against God so we know the punishment is eternal.

How is that not a judgement of hell that supports traditional doctrine?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: #1 Jesus on hell

Post #121

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm The punishment is what is everlasting, not the torment...
Well, both are. God condemns, because of sin, to punishment, which is everlasting. No one, much less God, torments anyone. But being in that punishment is a torment. A bit like me having to repeat the same things over and over again to the same tin assertions you keep making.
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm And these shall go away into everlasting punishment... ( Matthew 25:46)
Exactly. And the punishment is a torment to the person who is condemned and sent away into it. This torment is eternal, because the punishment is eternal. Sure. But God surely does not torment anyone.

Grace and peace to you, myth-one.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #122

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:33 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm The punishment is what is everlasting, not the torment...
Well, both are. God condemns, because of sin, to punishment, which is everlasting. No one, much less God, torments anyone. But being in that punishment is a torment. A bit like me having to repeat the same things over and over again to the same tin assertions you keep making.
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm And these shall go away into everlasting punishment... ( Matthew 25:46)
Exactly. And the punishment is a torment to the person who is condemned and sent away into it. This torment is eternal, because the punishment is eternal. Sure. But God surely does not torment anyone.

Grace and peace to you, myth-one.

How do you torment the dead? :lol:

onewithhim
Savant

Post #123

Post by onewithhim »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:17 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:45 pm
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal. ( Matthew 25:46)

And the punishment which is everlasting is death:
Another scripture that uses the word κολαζομένους for punish is 2 Peter 2:9, which is translated literally as to prune, lopped off, or cut off. This is the word's first definition. To so the Greek word offers a double meaning. Not just to punish but to punish in the way of pruning like you would branches off a tree. Cutting someone off verses a person that lives forever, there is only one contrast a person can conclude and that person is cut off from what else but from life.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 2849: κολαζο

κολαζο: present passive participle κολαζόμενος; 1 aorist middle sub. junc. 3 person plural κολάσωνται; (κόλος lopped); in Greek writings:

1. properly, to lop, prune, as trees, wings.
Yes, I understand that punishment by absolute death is what is meant here. That is the ultimate punishment. A person doesn't have to be alive to be punished. As you say, being "cut off" really means to be taken away from life. Someone who is cut off is dead, and that means without life.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #124

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm How do you torment the dead? :lol:
Nobody torments anybody. But the eternally dead do experience torment. :lol:

Grace and peace to you.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #125

Post by 2timothy316 »

Those that believe in torment of the dead no matter what the Bible says are torment doctrine fanatics.

A fanatic is defined as: a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatic

There is no reasoning with a fanatic. It has been my experience that their intense devotion and their opinions are the only thing that matters. There are some great Bible points here why there is no torment after death. Intense devotion and opinions don't win debates. Thus for the reasoning person it is simple to see that the doctrine that there is a place of torment after death is simply not true.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #126

Post by PinSeeker »

2timothy316 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:37 am Those that believe in torment of the dead no matter what the Bible says are torment doctrine fanatics.

A fanatic is defined as: a person exhibiting excessive enthusiasm and intense uncritical devotion toward some controversial matter.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatic

There is no reasoning with a fanatic. It has been my experience that their intense devotion and their opinions are the only thing that matters. There are some great Bible points here why there is no torment after death. Intense devotion and opinions don't win debates. Thus for the reasoning person it is simple to see that the doctrine that there is a place of torment after death is simply not true.
My goodness. I'll just dismiss your calling me a fanatic... certainly graceless. As for me, I certainly have no enthusiasm for or enjoyment or pleasure in discussing the eternal wrath and judgment of God and the unrepentant sinner's experience in it. That would actually be maniacal and sadomasochistic. No, it's a fearsome -- even terrifying -- thing, and my personal plea for anyone would be to avoid it at all cost, certainly.

Grace and peace to you. Especially grace... :)

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #127

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:50 am
myth-one.com wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:41 pm How do you torment the dead? :lol:
Nobody torments anybody. But the eternally dead do experience torment. :lol:

Grace and peace to you.
You claim that the dead experience torment.

But nobody causes their torment.

And of course, you do that while the scriptures state that:
  1. Nonbelievers will die the second death.
  2. And the dead know not any thing.
Do they know they are being tormented by nobody?

And do they know that nobody is causing their torment?

But if they know any thing at all, then they are not dead according to the scriptures -- as the scriptures confirm that the dead know not any thing.

So if the "dead" experience torment, they are not dead.

How can that work?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #128

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm You claim that the dead experience torment.
Because the Bible does, yes.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm But nobody causes their torment.
Right, extreme sadness and the emotions that go with it are certainly tormenting.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm And of course, you do that while the scriptures state that (n)onbelievers will die the second death... (a)nd the dead know not any thing.
See, here, for what seems like the one thousandth time (see what I did there? :) Well, no, probably not... :D), you're conflating two vastly different things without even realizing it. You're equating dead people who haven't even died the first death yet (those under the sun; physical death) to dead people who die the second death (enter into eternal punishment, after the resurrection, and after the Judgment). Do you see? Well, no, probably not, but it is what it is.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm Do they know they are being tormented by nobody? And do they know that nobody is causing their torment?
Hmmm... let me try to redirect you here: Those that experience the second death will certainly know they are in a state of torment. In some sense, I guess you could say they are tormenting themselves... :)
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm But if they know any thing at all, then they are not dead according to the scriptures -- as the scriptures confirm that the dead know not any thing.
The Scriptures do in fact confirm that the dead know not any thing, but if you actually put it in context -- Ecclesiastes 9 and Ecclesiastes as a whole, as we are talking about Ecclesiastes 9:5 (yet again) -- then you quickly realize (or at least some do) that they are gone from this world, this life, "life under the sun," and they know nothing of this life anymore. But they are not non-existing... :)
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm So if the "dead" experience torment, they are not dead.
Well, the dead -- those having experienced the second death, which hasn't occurred yet -- will dwell in an emotional state of torment and in anguish, yes.
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm How can that work?
If you think about it, I think you can figure it out. But, maybe not. God said it; it is what it is.

Grace and peace to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #129

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:54 pm The Scriptures do in fact confirm that the dead know not any thing, but if you actually put it in context -- Ecclesiastes 9 and Ecclesiastes as a whole, as we are talking about Ecclesiastes 9:5 (yet again) -- then you quickly realize (or at least some do) that they are gone from this world, this life, "life under the sun," and they know nothing of this life anymore. But they are not non-existing... :)
myth-one.com wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:28 pm How can that work?
PinSeeker wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:54 pm If you think about it, I think you can figure it out. But, maybe not. God said it; it is what it is.
I figured it out!

God said: "the dead know not any thing."

PinSeeker said: "the dead know not any thing of this life."

I see how it works -- You added the words "of this life."

Please be aware of the following warnings:

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: (Revelation 22:18)

Knowing this first, that no prophesy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. (II Peter 1:20)

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #130

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:54 pm See, here, for what seems like the one thousandth time (see what I did there? :) Well, no, probably not... :D), you're conflating two vastly different things without even realizing it. You're equating dead people who haven't even died the first death yet (those under the sun; physical death) to dead people who die the second death (enter into eternal punishment, after the resurrection, and after the Judgment). Do you see? Well, no, probably not, but it is what it is.
No, I do not see? Probably because there are so many big words.

=============================================================

Death: the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an animal or plant.

According to the Bible, two separate and distinct deaths can befall man. The first and most obvious death ends our short physical life which we are presently living on the earth. This death is appointed to all mankind.

When the first death of any man is discussed in the Bible, the words used to describe that event are sleep, slumber, or rest. Only man, among all the animals is said to sleep, slumber, or rest when he dies.

If true death is final, then our first death is not death at all, as it does not meet the definition of death. That is, it is not final.

Thus, when Jesus raised people from the "dead", He often stated that they were not dead, but simply asleep.

During this death, we know and are aware of nothing. For every human who dies, it will seem as if they are instantly being resurrected to a second life. This is due to their having no consciousness during their sleep -- knowing no thing.

Christians will be awakened and born again into everlasting life as spiritual beings at the Second Coming.

Nonbelievers will be resurrected as human beings a thousand years later.

Nonbelievers will then face the White Throne judgment.

Following judgment, those whose names are not written in the Book of Life will be cast into the lake of fire and quickly suffer their second physical death. That will be the end of them forever. The Bible calls this a "death." That is, it is permanent.

This "second death" is the wages for our sins.
===========================================================

Where is the conflation?

Let's clear this up so that you do not have repeat your claim the 1,001th time.

Thanks in advance!