Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

#3 Jesus on Hell

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Matthew 13
The Parable of the Weeds Explained
36 Then he left the crowds and went into the house. And his disciples came to him, saying, “Explain to us the parable of the weeds of the field.” 37 He answered, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. 38 The field is the world, and the good seed is the sons of the kingdom. The weeds are the sons of the evil one, 39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the reapers are angels. 40 Just as the weeds are gathered and burned with fire, so will it be at the end of the age. 41 The Son of Man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and all law-breakers, 42 and throw them into the fiery furnace. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth. 43 Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.
How can there be a place with weeping and gnashing teeth if all the people are dead or annihilated?

How is that not a judgement of hell that supports traditional doctrine?

#1 Jesus on hell: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38453
#2 Jesus on hell: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38457
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Re: #3 Jesus on Hell

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am
The ible never describes God as "a tormenting fire" or "a torturing fire".

It does, however, describe Him as "a consuming fire".
Perhaps, but this is not a description of God, but rather of the fiery furnace he has folks thrown into. In any case, being consumed by fire would be both tormenting and torturous. There is no reason to suggest it would not be. The weeping and gnashing of teeth is the direct result of being burned alive.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:59 pm Tcg and others,

If the weeping and gnashing of teeth are temporary.

If you were thrown into a fiery furnace how long would you weep for?
If you were thrown into a fiery furnace how long would you gnash your teeth for?
Both questions are irrelevant. The verses under consideration contain nothing that indicates permanence.
You might say the O in ouch but would you actually weep?
This grasping at straws doesn't support your case. The only way you could do so would be to point out where in the passage permanence is implied. You haven't done this because there is no place in which this passage does so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by PinSeeker »

Have any of you guys ever heard of something being called "trial by fire?" Of course you have; the question was rhetorical in nature. But the point is, there is no literal fire regarding any of the things we're talking about in these Hell threads. Therefore, nothing is literally burned. To explain:

God is described several times as a "consuming fire," as pointed out by Tcg. You might also remember that James, in the third chapter of his epistle, says the tongue -- the human tongue -- "is a fire," capable of "setting afire a great forest," and "no human being can tame" it. We can talk about what it means that the human tongue is a "fire" in another thread if someone wants to create one; it's out of the scope of this particular thread. The same applies to hell itself, and the "lake of fire," as mentioned in Revelation 20. In order:

* That God is a "consuming fire" is figurative, closely related to His characterization even of Himself as a jealous God. Put simply, the concept of God both as jealous and as a consuming fire include both the idea of God's jealous, holy nature and His judgment upon those who oppose Him. Used in more than one way in the Bible, the overall idea is one of power, both positively in the sense of deserving worship and negatively in punishing those who oppose Him.

* The human tongue is a figurative fire because of our ability to use it in very harmful ways; it is "a restless evil, full of deadly poison" (James 3:8). It can even be used to "murder" (again, figurative) other people, as Jesus Himself says in Matthew 5 by saying, "You fool!" -- or even by being angry, in the sinful sense rather than the holy sense, with a brother (Matthew 5:22).

* The "lake of fire" likewise is not literal, and annihilationism is a terrible misunderstanding of the consequences of this lake of fire (hell). A lake, of course, is a body of water -- bigger, of course, than a pond, but smaller, of course, than a sea or an ocean. The lake of fire is not made up of water; such an idea is ridiculous. But what we should seen in this symbol is the possibility of being totally immersed. And when this concept is combined with the properly understood fact that that God is a consuming fire, then it is total immersion in -- and inability to escape; thus it's eternality -- the judgement and wrath of God. Hell is a real place, only describable really as a horrific place where its dwellers, the unrepentant, along with Satan, "will be tormented day and night forever and ever" (Revelation 20:10).

As I said, it is a horrific, terrifying thing to even think about. But, it is what it is, a real place of conscious, never-ending, everlasting torment and anguish.

Grace and peace to all.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #14

Post by PinSeeker »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am
Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am The ible never describes God as "a tormenting fire" or "a torturing fire". It does, however, describe Him as "a consuming fire".
Perhaps, but this is not a description of God, but rather of the fiery furnace he has folks thrown into.
God Himself (ultimately speaking) says He is a consuming fire (Deuteronomy 4:24, Hebrews 12:29).
Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am In any case, being consumed by fire would be both tormenting and torturous.
Well, being under the unending judgment of a Holy God will be both tormenting and torturous. To a lesser degree, of course, we today can be under the judgment of God, and it can be both tormenting and torturous.
Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am The weeping and gnashing of teeth is the direct result of being burned alive.
Sure, as long as you understand being burned alive is figurative, but just as terrible a fate being physically burned alive. Actually infinitely worse than being physically burned alive, because that's only fleeting. The weeping an gnashing of teeth is a result of dwelling -- forever -- under the judgment of God, in a place away from and totally devoid of His His grace and blessing.

Grace and peace to you.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:41 pm There is no reason to speculate. The passage spells it out perfectly. Their pain is due to being thrown into the fiery furnace. The fire that burns is the fire that burns.
To me it is not clear what the fire actually is, because it is said:

And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by Gehenna [=”hell”].
James 3:6

I don’t think that is regular fire.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:41 pm There is no reason to speculate. The passage spells it out perfectly. Their pain is due to being thrown into the fiery furnace. The fire that burns is the fire that burns.

And the tongue is a fire. The world of iniquity among our members is the tongue, which defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature, and is set on fire by Gehenna [=”hell”].

That is irrelevant. This thread isn't about James 3:6.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

tam
Savant

Post #17

Post by tam »

Peace to you.

I'm quoting the exchange between tcg and checkpoint, but the post addresses more than that.
Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:06 am
Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:44 am
The ible never describes God as "a tormenting fire" or "a torturing fire".

It does, however, describe Him as "a consuming fire".
Perhaps, but this is not a description of God, but rather of the fiery furnace he has folks thrown into. In any case, being consumed by fire would be both tormenting and torturous. There is no reason to suggest it would not be. The weeping and gnashing of teeth is the direct result of being burned alive.

Tcg
That would depend on the kind of fire. A fire hot enough could consume/devour in an instant. People tend to think of the kind of fire that we light with a match, but not of the kind of fire that is just energy (albeit extremely powerful energy, such as a radiating energy). If a person was suddenly tossed into the sun, they would not have time to weep or gnash their teeth. If a fire burned so hot that suddenly being exposed to it consumed/devoured that person at once, there would be no weeping and gnashing of teeth.

God is not a consuming fire - as in a campfire. He is a consuming fire as in a radiating, dynamic energy. Enough to have brought the entire universe (and all things) into creation. That kind of power can create - and destroy. This is why angels/seraphs are often described as glowing, or of burning, or of being "fiery" (in appearance) - because they have come from presence of God, and His dynamic energy. Hence, the bush appeared to be burning, but it was the seraph IN the bush.

To the question of the fire being literal or just being symbolic of judgment:

If we are to go back to the reference of 'fiery furnace', from the OT (in the book of Daniel, chapter 3), the three men were tossed into the fiery furnace because they would not obey the king and bow down to other gods. But the three men tossed into the fiery furnace were protected from being harmed by the fire, while the guards who carried the men up to toss them into the fire, were themselves killed by the fire because the king had had it burn much hotter than usual.

The judgment (from the king) was for the men to be tossed into the fire (and obviously to be killed; put to death)... but the fire itself was real.

Likewise, from revelation, we have the fire that comes down out of heaven and devours 'gog and magog' who were riding out to attack the people God loves. Gog and magog are devoured by that fire; ending their attack before they can harm anyone.

In addition, just as something to consider, I would also suggest that James 3:6 is relevant, because it goes to the point that 'fire' does have different meanings in what is written. Sometimes symbolic, sometimes literal, sometimes real but described in terms that people from 2 or 3 thousand years ago would have known and used. Note also that the passage under question in the OP does not state that the weeping and gnashing of teeth is a direct result of being burned alive.

I agree that it is from pain (weeping and gnashing of teeth indicates some kind of pain), but people can and do weep and gnash their teeth perhaps even more often from emotional pain - such as jealousy and regret and hatred (though these emotions can manifest as physical pain as well. Like anxiety is an emotional distress that you can physically feel, in the abdomen.) People will literally gnash their teeth in anger (or jealousy), as well as weep for those same reasons. That is the kind of weeping and gnashing of teeth being referenced.

If you were being burned alive (slowly, not fast or instantly), there would be screaming. Not just weeping or gnashing of teeth.

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #18

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:59 pm
1213 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:53 pm

That is irrelevant. This thread isn't about James 3:6.

Tcg
I think the whole Bible IS relevant, but is James 3:6? I little bit. Here we see the word fire being used a symbolic way and even denoting that fire is the like natural fire. It burns up and keeps going as long as there is something to burn.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #14]
That God is a "consuming fire" is figurative, closely related to His characterization even of Himself as a jealous God.

Put simply, the concept of God both as jealous and as a consuming fire include both the idea of God's jealous, holy nature and His judgment upon those who oppose Him. Used in more than one way in the Bible, the overall idea is one of power, both positively in the sense of deserving worship and negatively in punishing those who oppose Him.
Hi there, Pinseeker.

So, we cross paths again, on the same subject!

Guess it was inevitable, sooner or later.

Yes, I agree, "the overall idea is one of power, both positively ... and negatively".

The positives and negatives are the two sides of one coin, as are "jealous" and "zealous".

God puts it this way:
Deuteronomy 32:39

... " I kill, and I make alive. I wound, and I heal. There is no one who can deliver out of My hand.

Isaiah 45:7

I form the light, and create darkness. I make peace, and create calamity. I am Yahweh, who does all these things.
There are several statements or expressions of God's nature. I am aware of these:

God is love. God is light. God is holy. God is Spirit. God is a consuming fire.

I suggest if one is literal, all are literal. If one is figurative, all are figurative.

However, this is not really a question of literal or figurative.

What it is about is just how God has negatively used that "power ", on those who opposed Him.

And whether that is biblically reliable as a guide to how He will use His power in carrying out the Judgment's negative decisions.

Grace amd peace to you, and to all.

Wootah
Savant

Post #20

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Tcg in post #13]

If there was a place of singing and dancing then we would expect singing and dancing in that place. It's a pretty simple extrapolation.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."