Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #1

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

First off, let me preface this by saying the following..

1. As mentioned on another thread, I have many years invested in dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's), from family, to friends, to strangers. I am very familiar with them and their theology.

2. I am beginning a series of threads attacking their "Christian" theology and doctrine. This one, as titled, deals with Jehovah's Witnesses and their false prophecies.

3. I have beef with, not only JW's, but ANYONE of whom I believe to be spreading false Christian doctrine. This includes, but not limited to...

A.) Mormons
B.) Catholics
C.) World Mission Society Church of God
D.) Hebrew Israelites

Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations. But, we are talking about Jehovah's Witnesses for now.

So, the question is ultimately; Why do I feel as if Jehovah's Witnesses are false teachers? There are many reasons, and one of those reasons is their many failed attempts at predicting prophecy.

Before I continue on post #2, keep in mind that future threads in this series will go straight to the gusto, with no preface.

Just FYI.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #51

Post by Tcg »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:06 pm
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:12 pm DID JEHOVAHS WITNESSES PRONOUNCE A FALSE PHROPHECY REGARDING 1914?

They correctly understood, many decades in advance, that 1914 would prove to be pivotal in human history (It was indeed the year the first world war would start). They were wrong about what those events would mean for God's people.[/indent]
Well, if they had predicted an actual world war set to take place in 1914, then I will be more impressed.

But they didn't.
According to Bible chronology, the times of the Gentiles would end in 1914. That commenced to be the beginning of "the Lord's Day." The Lord's Day would start, logically, with what Jesus said would mark the last days, and unprecedented wars was one of the signs. (Matthew 24:7-14) Lo and behold---the "Great War" to end all wars, supposedly, began in 1914.
Another odd claim of the JWs. WW2 resulted in 75 million deaths. WW1 resulted in 20 million deaths. It's always interesting to observe the arbitrary selection of dates by the JWs. Absolutely nothing in scripture lists the date of 1914 and yet JWs stick to it as if it did.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #52

Post by Tcg »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:20 pm [Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #31]
We aren't saying that we are "just like everyone else" across the board. That is being said, on a limited basis, because harshness is coming down on our heads which can be applied to all religions. Every one of them has made (most continue to do so) mistakes, including JWs to some extent (though this can be debated), so what do we have to look at? How JWs act according to Matthew 7:21. We seem to be, do we not?, the only religion "doing the will of the Father." The will of the Father is what Jesus presented to mankind.....love our enemies (Matthew 5:44), be no part of the world (John 17:14), proclaim God's name (John 17:6,26; Exodus 3:15), to name a few. JWs have been and still are being put in prison for abiding by God's will set forth by Jesus Christ. All other religions outright ignore those things or they compromise.
JWs are not a separate religion. They are a branch of Christianity. They are in fact one of the newer and of course smaller branches of Christianity.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

onewithhim
Savant

Post #53

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Tcg in post #52]

WWI was unprecedented. That means that there were FORMERLY no wars throughout the world that were as great as this.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #54

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Tcg in post #53]
JWs are not a branch of "Christianity." We have not branched off from some other religion of Christendom. We have gone back to what Jesus taught from A.D. 30 to A.D. 33. and what his disciples taught up to A.D. 98 or thereabouts. We never got involved with the pagan traditions that Christendom incorporated into their doctrine.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #55

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #48]
NO. We believe that the earth is at least 5 billion years old, and the earth was created ---not in 6 24-hour "days," but---in 6 periods of time that were undisclosed, some perhaps millions if not billions of years.
Thanks ... exactly what I was trying to learn. There are genuine young earth creationists our there who take the biblical chronology literally and believe the universe is only ~6000 years old, and I was curious if that was the case with JWs given the comments in post 22 (by JW), and my disagreeing relatives from long ago.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

tam
Savant

Post #56

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #17]

In one of your related posts, you referenced,
Did JWs confess in a 1968 article to being False Prophets?
viewtopic.php?p=1038819#p1038819
The article quotes:
True, there have been those in times past who have predicted the "end to the world", even announcing a specific date. Some have gathered groups of people with them and fled to the hills or withdrawn into their houses, waiting for the end. Yet nothing happened. The "end" did not come. They were guilty of false prophesying.

So what is the difference between 'them' and the WTS... that 'they' were guilty of false prophesying while the WTS was not?

Peace again.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #57

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #48]
According to Bible chronology, the times of the Gentiles would end in 1914.
What Bible chronology?

How do you know when it started?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #58

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #48]
What Bible chronology?
That found in the books of Jeremiah and Daniel.
Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm
We believe we know from the prophecies recorded by Jeremiah and Daniel.

RELATED POSTS

FURTHER READING:

Are We Living in the Last Days?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/

1914 A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/
RELATED POSTS

How do Jehovahs arrive at 1914 being a pivotal year in bible chronology?
viewtopic.php?p=891124#p891124

For more on this topic please go to other posts related to...

LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *and ... 1914,
*The Return of Christ
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #59

Post by Checkpoint »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:41 am
Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #47]
What Bible chronology?
That found in the books of Jeremiah and Daniel.

Checkpoint wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm
We believe we know from the prophecies recorded by Jeremiah and Daniel.
From which specific prophecies, JW?

How do you know they are in fact about what Jesus called ""the times of the Gentiles"?

What event did Jesus state would end those "times"?

If that specifically happened, in which year was that?

Thanks.

RELATED POSTS

FURTHER READING:

Are We Living in the Last Days?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... last-days/

1914 A Significant Year in Bible Prophecy
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... -prophecy/
RELATED POSTS

How do Jehovahs arrive at 1914 being a pivotal year in bible chronology?
viewtopic.php?p=891124#p891124

For more on this topic please go to other posts related to...

LAST DAYS and ...THE SECOND COMING *and ... 1914,
*The Return of Christ

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by PinSeeker »

I'm going to ask the question this way, JW, from looking back at some of those neat little Watchtower visual aids you have provided:

I understand that from 607 B.C. (when Jerusalem was destroyed) to 1914 is 2520 years -- that's simple math, of course... subtraction.

NOTE: Actually, the seige was in the late 500s B.C., but we'll go with 607 for now...

So anyway, yes, I understand that this number, 2520, is figured based on the seven "periods of time" mentioned in Daniel 4:16. So again, using simple math (this time division), the thinking seems to be that one "period of time" is 360 years. How do Jehovah's Witnesses arrive at the conclusion that a "period of time," as referred to in Daniel 4:16, is exactly 360 years? Or anywhere close to that, really... What I'm asking is, in the Jehovah's Witness view, is the number 2520 specifically referred to and/or mentioned in the Bible? Or is the number 360, alternatively, specifically referred to and/or mentioned in the Bible? One or the other would allow the multiplication or division by seven, right? So what has God (Jehovah) said that this simple math is based on?

Too, that same visual aid seems to indicate, following from those conclusions, that Jesus's reign in heaven began in 1914. But we know that Jesus had already said (to Pilate, before His crucifixion, of course) that He was a king, and that His kingdom was not of this world, and that He ascended into heaven 40 days after His resurrection 2000 years ago, and sat down at the right hand of God. So how did Jesus's reign start in 1914 and not in... well, 33 A.D.?

Like Checkpoint, I would like to hear specifics.

Grace and peace to you.