Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #1

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

First off, let me preface this by saying the following..

1. As mentioned on another thread, I have many years invested in dealing with Jehovah's Witnesses (JW's), from family, to friends, to strangers. I am very familiar with them and their theology.

2. I am beginning a series of threads attacking their "Christian" theology and doctrine. This one, as titled, deals with Jehovah's Witnesses and their false prophecies.

3. I have beef with, not only JW's, but ANYONE of whom I believe to be spreading false Christian doctrine. This includes, but not limited to...

A.) Mormons
B.) Catholics
C.) World Mission Society Church of God
D.) Hebrew Israelites

Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of many false Christian denominations. But, we are talking about Jehovah's Witnesses for now.

So, the question is ultimately; Why do I feel as if Jehovah's Witnesses are false teachers? There are many reasons, and one of those reasons is their many failed attempts at predicting prophecy.

Before I continue on post #2, keep in mind that future threads in this series will go straight to the gusto, with no preface.

Just FYI.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Re: Jehovah's Witnesses: False Prophecies

Post #71

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:35 am Not at all. Firstly, there are a number of what we call "time prophecies" in the bible, ie prophecies that would enable the reader to discern in advance, the year of a particular event.
Well, why weren't they able to discern in advance, the year of the particular event? :D
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:35 am Jehovahs Witnesses long understood that the Daniel Chapter 4 was one such prophecy. They were wrong as to what the year would mean for them and only with hindsight did they understand it was the beginning not the end of the last days (they never claimed to know the day or the hour ie the exact date ).
Then maybe they should have left the prediction/prophecy game to actual prophets that were, you know, actually chosen by God.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:35 am That said those early bible students (as Jehovahs Witnesses were then known) showed admirable qualities. I'm sure Jesus was pleased they were attentive to the times and happy they corrected their views when needed without (as was the case with so many "adventist" movements) giving up. Jehovahs Witnesses are I believe the people whose attitude Jesus rewarded with continued enlightenment(see Daniel 12:1)
I'm sure Jesus is pleased with me, as I expose false religions and false teachers.

Just take it from me, as we were having the conversation about heaven/new earth on the other thread. I said specifically, before I began my spiel about how I interpreted the given scriptures, that everything that I spoke of was MY OPINION, and my opinion was not to be taken as doctrine.

I never said nor implied that "I am God's chosen one, so take my interpretation as God's given truth". If this is not explicitly said by Jehovah's Witnesses, it is certainly implied.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #72

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 am In Jehovah's Witness vernacular, "having" the truth means accepting the body of bible truths as revealed in scripture through Jesus and living up to one's conviction. For more on this point see post #23 linked HERE
viewtopic.php?p=1044948#p1044948 Neither on an individual nor an organisational level does it imply infallibility.
Ohhh, so it is the "truth", until it is proven false? Gotcha. :approve:
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 am
As a group/organisation we believe are superior in their efforts and message.
Superior in efforts, yes. Inferior in message quality.

Charles Manson was superior than most in his efforts to captivate the minds of his followers through charisma and drugs.

However, his message...well..
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 am We believe we have the truth and belong to the only True Christians organisation on earth today. That however does not mean we are perfect or that we will not make mistakes.
Again, I commend you for owning up to it.

But, the problem is, the WTS is currently misleading millions of people in one what or another, with an overall flawed message that, (in my opinion) is not inspired by God and has no place in Christianity.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:16 am
Scripturally, we can. God has used imperfect people who at times have made terrible errors in judgement in the past and biblically there is no reason to assume that is not the case today. I often say, we have made mistakes but unlike the churches of Christendom, we havent gotten in bed with them.
Assuming that God is using your organization for anything. That in itself isn't even scriptural.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #73

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 am
Are you God? God's people only have to live up to his expectations not yours.
Well, if you guys are out there telling us (the public) that you are God's chosen organization, then with that comes a certain expectancy.

Otherwise, anyone claim anything...and we will be like blind sheep just following any ole Joe Schmoe.
That is true; but biblically he allows for them and forgives those that promote them if he judges them to be worthy of such mercy.
Agreed.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 am No inaccuracy have resulted from divine direction; inaccuracirs have arisen from not seeing clearly what direction God wanted (compare Proverbs 4:18)
But perhaps maybe you should have saw things clearly. Remember, God has chosen your organization? Surely he will direct and guide you to the right interpretation of his word?

Really? Says who?! What scripture do you have to support this conclusion.
Scripture? Off the top of my head..

Daniel
Joseph
Nathan
Samuel

Since we are talking about predictions/prophecy...each of those 4 men of the Bible were actually directed by God, they accurately predicted and interpreted future events....accurately.

See, when you are actually chosen by God, your predictions do not prove to be false, but rather are Proven to come true.

Do you see the difference?
Last edited by We_Are_VENOM on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:44 pm Even Jesus' disciples who followed him when he was on the earth made mistakes. Were they phonies? They thought that he would perhaps "restore the kingdom to Israel at this time" (Acts 1:6). They hadn't gotten the proper understanding of what Jesus had taught them, right up to the time he ascended back to heaven. They went on to preach to thousands of people. Did they not have the truth?
And what did Jesus say?

7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority.

He didn't say, “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority, however, if you read the Book of Daniel, I'm sure you will figure something out".
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:58 pm
He did not know the exact day or hour of the Great Tribulation. That is what he was referring to. He had just described the Great Tribulation, and he said he didn't know when that would happen. I don't think that JWs have ever said that they knew the exact day.
Ohhh, so it was more like "The Father did not tell me the exact day, but he did, however, tell me the exact year. The year is 1975. Be ready, be alert."

J/K. :D

But still..
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #76

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:06 pm According to Bible chronology, the times of the Gentiles would end in 1914. That commenced to be the beginning of "the Lord's Day." The Lord's Day would start, logically, with what Jesus said would mark the last days, and unprecedented wars was one of the signs. (Matthew 24:7-14) Lo and behold---the "Great War" to end all wars, supposedly, began in 1914.
First of all, anyone who claims to know what "the times of the Gentiles" means, is speculating.

Second, the "Great War to end all wars, supposedly, began in 1914".

Yet, here comes WWII, in 1939.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #77

Post by JehovahsWitness »

PinSeeker wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:59 pm That Jesus has ruled from heaven since Pentecost ...
Scripture please?

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #78

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:29 pm
I never said nor implied that "I am God's chosen one, so take my interpretation as God's given truth". If this is not explicitly said by Jehovah's Witnesses, it is certainly implied.
No, Jehovahs Witnesses have NEVER said this nor have they implied there interpretation are infaillible. I have already dealt with the relationship between interpretation and having "the truth" as Gods peolple (with scripural examples) and explained why and how in our literature being Gods people is not to be taken as synonymous with never making mistakes.

We sincerely believed we were correct on our understanding and believed we were given such understanding by God. Since God is never wrong, when our interpretation was proved to be erroneous we have humbly recognised we had in fact stepped beyond scripture and attempted to not repeat such an error again.

We retain the same attitude today,

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #79

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:40 pm
Superior in efforts...

Charles Manson was superior than most in his efforts to captivate the minds of his followers through charisma and drugs.
Are you implying Jehovahs Witness official policies encourage dishonest or unscriptural methods? If so would you be so kind as say what those dishonest or unscriptural methods are?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #80

Duplication (sorry)
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.