God's Plan For Your Life

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

God's Plan For Your Life

Post #1

Post by Miles »

"God has plans. From the very beginning when He created this world, He had a plan. For day and night, heavens and earth, land and sea, sun and moon, birds and fish, animals and humans, He has always had a plan. And just four verses into His Word, we see that He likes His plan. He calls it good. Indeed, near the end of creation, He calls His plan very good. (Genesis 1).

His plan is good because of the purpose it will serve. It is good because of the hope it will give. It is good because of the lives it will save. But really, it is good simply because of the God who calls it so. Creation had only to be created for it to be called good.

But still, God has plans. He has them for you. He knew the span of your life before you were formed in your mother’s womb. He knows the hairs on your head, the thoughts in your mind, and the hours that you will live on this earth. He would not leave such attention to detail merely to chance. God has plans for you, and they are good.

source

................................ Image

So, why would god plan to have your three-month old baby die of SIDS, or suffocation, or an atrioventricular septal defect, or . . . ?

Why would he plan that you die in an automobile accident at the age of eight?

Why would he plan that you starve for your entire life, eating insects while sitting in a dirt floor hut in the Democratic Republic of Congo?

Why would he plan that your sister never attain an IQ over 55?

If these are god's plans then he must be some kind of ubersadist. But if none of this is the result of his plan, why did he let them occur? Why bother making plans in the first place? Are his plans really that ineffectual, but, in fact, worthless?

OR, are god's plans only for people like Wally Cleaver and the "Beaver," and all the other good folk of Mayfield?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

Miles
Savant

Re: God's Plan For Your Life

Post #21

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:06 am
Miles wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:06 pm ... why wouldn't I think they're his plans? Or are his plans so easily thwarted that the result is meaningless suffering and distress?...
I don't think they are His plans, because nothing supports that idea. i believe God created everything good.
And everything bad, or at least he's let everything bad exist----he does have the ability to stop it does he not? Of course he does he's omnipotent.
And that good includes the possibility to reject God.
So it's good to reject god. Hmm . . . . Boy, this isn't making any sense at all.

I think it is good that God gave us freedom, even though it can lead to suffering.
Freedom to do what? Kill others at our discretion? Why not, he's certainly set a good example: "Kill the kids."

1 Samuel 15:2-3
2 The Lord All-Powerful says: ‘When the Israelites came out of Egypt, the Amalekites tried to stop them from going to Canaan. I saw what the Amalekites did. 3 Now go fight against the Amalekites. You must completely destroy the Amalekites and everything that belongs to them. Don’t let anything live; you must kill all the men and women and all of their children and little babies. You must kill all of their cattle and sheep and all of their camels and donkeys.’”

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by Purple Knight »

Miles wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:17 pmBecause, what? God is incapable of resolving issues created by Satan's rebellion without taking it out on humans? Of course. God isn't that powerful.
This is a good point. God made the rules. He could have made those rules so that suffering wasn't necessary to rectify sin. He could have made the rules similarly to what people tend to think the rules are, which is that only the perpetrator of an act is culpable for it, and no one else should suffer for it. So let Adam and Eve rebel, under those individualistic rules their children could have been fixed up for free and perhaps gone back into Eden.

Now I don't believe in individualism. I don't believe this is the way the world works. I think it's stupid and insufficient especially in group conflicts such as war. When a unified front of armed men is marching toward you, you can't afford to refrain from shooting into them because guy #147 hasn't aggressed yet and you can't prove he's going to. And I'm right. But the point is, God made individualism to be stupid and insufficient. He had every option to make individualism the way the world works.

Now maybe - maybe - we all wake up in Heaven and all this suffering has been just a bad dream. Most people will think this solves the problem but I'm not sure it does. We suffer (ultimately) because we think we can die, and it turns out we can't? Well then there's been no suffering, right? Just a trick?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:07 pm
So it's good to reject god. Hmm . . .
No, its not good to reject God, but it is good to have the possibility of rejecting God because that possibility represents being a free moral agent. Having the capacity to make one's own CHOICES is what makes us human rather than humanoids/ sophisticated robots or animals...it means we have free will. And that is a godlike quality and a great gift.
GENESIS 1:36 NLT

Then God said, “Let us make human beings in our image, to be like us.
And its only by having free will can we really love. And LOVE is good.

RELATED POSTS

Can free will and destiny co-exist ?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 73#p999173
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:07 pm ...
So it's good to reject god.
No, it is good to have freedom.

Miles
Savant

Post #25

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:19 am
No, its not good to reject God, but it is good to have the possibility of rejecting God because that possibility represents being a free moral agent. Having the capacity to make one's own CHOICES is what makes us human rather than humanoids/ sophisticated robots or animals...it means we have free will. And that is a godlike quality and a great gift.
Then it must be equally good that it's possible we can burn people at the stake or slaughter infants because they represent being a free moral agent. Image

Prove it. Prove that love can only come from having free will.

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:56 am
Miles wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:07 pm ...
So it's good to reject god.
No, it is good to have freedom.
But this isn't what you said. You said:

"And that good includes the possibility to reject God."

Consider: if doing X is bad why would the possibility of actually doing X be good? It wouldn't be. So only if doing X was good would the possibility of doing it be good.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #27

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:26 pm
Then it must be equally good that it's possible we can burn people at the stake or slaughter infants because they represent being a free moral agent

Yes it us. That us exactly right.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:19 amAnd its only by having free will can we really love. And LOVE is good.
I think he's talking about the idea of love for another; that if I built a woman from the ground up and programmed her personality to be exactly what I wanted, I wouldn't really love her. And she wouldn't really love me because she could never have chosen not to love me, so it would hardly be genuine love.

Okay, so be it. What if we don't want anybody's love and we just want to be moral robots? If we're really free moral agents why don't we have that choice?

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:40 pm
Then it must be equally good that it's possible we can burn people at the stake or slaughter infants because they represent being a free moral agent

Yes it us. That us exactly right.
Fine, it's always nice to be right, but what about my challenge?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:59 pm
And its only by having free will can we really love.
When I said "really" love I was refering to real love, which is biblically agapé. Scripturally agapé is the highest form of love and is an intellectual choice (rather than an chemical driven instinct). By defintion then "real" love ("to really love) is by choice and this necessitates free will.

Thus, as defined, a logical inevitability,

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

LOVE, HATE and ...POLITICAL INVOLVEMENT