Did He Ever Really Have a Human Experience - re "Biblical Jesus"

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Did He Ever Really Have a Human Experience - re "Biblical Jesus"

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Given the information available, how can anyone claim that Jesus was ever really a human being, other than the form he occupied appeared to those who saw it, to be human?

Some bullet points re that information available.

° He was not the off-spring of two human parents.

° He remembered a prior existence and spoke about it to his followers, often.

° He was able to do things which appeared to be magic, but were actually miracles, because they were not the product of human invention [underhanded trickery] but rather the product of some type of channeling. [overhanded [divine] trickery]

The above examples are enough to get the ball rolling...

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Did He Ever Really Have a Human Experience - re "Biblical Jesus"

Post #91

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to William in post #2]
Jesus was anointed by God, receiving his spirit in a special way. He was a spirit person near his Father before becoming human (John 1:1-3; Heb. 1:1-3), and came here for a mission. That is why he was born as a total perfect human. To do what he was intended to, he needed a special portion of the holy spirit of God.

Luke 4:16 He then went to Nazʹa·reth, where he had been brought up, and according to his custom on the Sabbath day, he entered the synagogue and stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor. He sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away free, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.” 20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed on him. 21 Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.”

John 11:39 Jesus said: “Take the stone away.” Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to him: “Lord, by now he must smell, for it has been four days.” 40 Jesus said to her: “Did I not tell you that if you would believe you would see the glory of God?” 41 So they took the stone away. Then Jesus raised his eyes heavenward and said: “Father, I thank you that you have heard me. 42 True, I knew that you always hear me; but I spoke on account of the crowd standing around, so that they may believe that you sent me.”

William
Savant

Post #92

Post by William »

[Replying to Eloi in post #88]
Jesus Christ in heaven DOES NOT HAVE the same nature as he did when he was human.
Re He remembered a prior existence and spoke about it to his followers, often.
Does he have the same nature as he did before he donned a Human suit/form, or did that also changes through his experience as a Human?

[What is it about the Human Experience that changes ones nature?]

William
Savant

Post #93

Post by William »

[Replying to Eloi in post #91]
Jesus was anointed by God, receiving his spirit in a special way. He was a spirit person near his Father before becoming human (John 1:1-3; Heb. 1:1-3), and came here for a mission. That is why he was born as a total perfect human. To do what he was intended to, he needed a special portion of the holy spirit of God.
Exactly - and that is the reason why it cannot be claimed that Jesus had a genuine Human experience.

Because what is actually claimed is that Jesus was NOT like the rest of us. So either we are the ones not having a genuine Human experience, or he is.

And since the common garden variety is always considered 'ordinary' and thus 'genuine', it is better to conclude that Jesus did not have a Genuine Human Experience.

For that matter, nor did his Mother.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #94

Post by Eloi »

William wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 pm [Replying to Eloi in post #88]
Jesus Christ in heaven DOES NOT HAVE the same nature as he did when he was human.
Re He remembered a prior existence and spoke about it to his followers, often.
Does he have the same nature as he did before he donned a Human suit/form, or did that also changes through his experience as a Human?

[What is it about the Human Experience that changes ones nature?]
He did not occupy a carcass as a human, he WAS BORN as a human. Obviously, a human IS NOT a spirit being like he was.
He is not a human with a fleshy body any more. He regained his nature he had before coming here to born as human ... and more.

William
Savant

Post #95

Post by William »

[Replying to William in post #92]
Luke 4:16 He then went to Nazʹa·reth, where he had been brought up, and according to his custom on the Sabbath day, he entered the synagogue and stood up to read. 17 So the scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him, and he opened the scroll and found the place where it was written: 18 “Jehovah’s spirit is upon me, because he anointed me to declare good news to the poor. He sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and a recovery of sight to the blind, to send the crushed ones away free, 19 to preach Jehovah’s acceptable year.” 20 With that he rolled up the scroll, handed it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were intently fixed on him. 21 Then he began to say to them: “Today this scripture that you just heard is fulfilled.”
Further evidence in support of Jesus himself thinking himself as more than simply Human.

Could he have spoken those words while having a genuine Human experience. He was different and said so.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #96

Post by Eloi »

William wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:17 pm (...) it is better to conclude that Jesus did not have a Genuine Human Experience. (...)
You can "conclude" for yourself whatever fits you. Other thing is if that is true. Anyway, Jesus was NOT an imperfect man like we are, but all human beings were supposed to be like the human Jesus, like the pre-fall Adam. That will happen in the paradise when humans will reach perfection again.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #97

Post by Eloi »

William wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:20 pm [Replying to William in post #92]
Further evidence in support of Jesus himself thinking himself as more than simply Human.

Could he have spoken those words while having a genuine Human experience. He was different and said so.

Jesus considered his disciples as something more than servants or apprentices, as any family or business owner would ... He also considered them as friends and as brothers.

Mattathias
Student

Post #98

Post by Mattathias »

William wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:04 pmThat is another way of asking what the OP is asking.

Clearly there is no other single human character from a book who has been portrayed in such a way that makes it obvious he was different from all the rest.

The impression given overall about the character is that he was a magic-god within human form and that character was tied into another character from other books - another magic-god who in that case, was not in human form.

That in itself shows us clearly enough that the character of Jesus was not as human as Christians seem to want us to believe that he was - which is why the thread exists - in order to study the reasons for the Christian claim that "Jesus was Human - like the rest of us".

According to the actual story, "No - he was not".
It is my contention that scripture - “the actual story” - presents Jesus of Nazareth as a unique human person. My contention was rejected by historical orthodox trinitarianism - the majority view in Christianity since the fourth century of the common era - which teaches us that Jesus is a divine person, not a human person.

According to the actual story, “Yes - he was a mortal human person. Yes, - he is now an immortal human person.”
The hound of Jewish monotheism

William
Savant

Post #99

Post by William »

[Replying to Eloi in post #94]
He did not occupy a carcass as a human, he WAS BORN as a human.
As I actually said, He [Spirit] occupied a human form - not that he 'human' occupied a human carcass. A spirit occupying a human form can experience being born through the portal provided, which does not mean that his life as a Human was a genuine Human experience.
Obviously, a human IS NOT a spirit being like he was.
Well actually, it is not obvious at all.
He is not a human with a fleshy body any more. He regained his nature he had before coming here to born as human ... and more.
You write as if you think that one loses ones nature [as Spirit] when one goes through a Human Experience.

Jesus clearly tells it differently. He claims to have maintained his nature [understanding himself as Spirit in Human Form and saying so] regardless of the Human Experience.

We - on the other hand - lack all knowledge of any prior existence. We start off in "Blank Slate Default Position" which is what allows for us to have a Genuine Human Experience.

William
Savant

Post #100

Post by William »

Eloi wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:23 pm
William wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:17 pm (...) it is better to conclude that Jesus did not have a Genuine Human Experience. (...)
You can "conclude" for yourself whatever fits you. Other thing is if that is true. Anyway, Jesus was NOT an imperfect man like we are, but all human beings were supposed to be like the human Jesus, like the pre-fall Adam. That will happen in the paradise when humans will reach perfection again.
I conclude then, that until such evidence presents itself, it is an unsupported claim about "what will happen one day" and has no direct bearing on the subject of the OP re 'related argument'