Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Jehovah's Witnesses: Birthdays and Holidays

Post #1

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

This is a good one. So, one of the most recognizable “features” of the Jehovah’s Witness organization is the fact that they do not celebrate birthdays or holidays (BH).

Even if you know NOTHING else about them, you know that the celebration of BH is prohibited in their organization.

It is one of those "their reputation precedes them" kind of things.

You won’t find any JW children at birthday parties. You won’t find members of the WTS partaking in any holiday/birthday events at work.

I recall watching a VLADTV interview, where VLAD is interviewing a comedian. During the interview, the comedian began sweating, a lot. And in the comment section, people were posting funny comments like “He is sweating more than a hooker at church” or any variation of funny comments like that.

My comment was “He is sweating more than a Jehovah’s Witness at a birthday party” :D , and I received many “likes” and it was by far one of the better comments as it relates to the joke.

Many ex-JW’s commented and could relate to the joke. But as funny as the joke is/was, it is true.

Birthdays and Holidays are a no-no to JW’s. But why?

Jehovah’s Witnesses offer 2 reasons why they don’t celebrate BH. Of the two reasons, one is a non sequitur, and the other is inconsistent logic..in other words, hypocrisy. Also, they commit the genetic fallacy.

https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/log ... ic-Fallacy

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, lets unpack the 2 reasons…

Reason 1 (non sequitur): Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t celebrate birthdays (in particular) is because “the Bible only mentions two birthday celebrations, and they were both celebrated by pagan rulers of whom committed murderous acts”.

A). The Egyptian Pharaoh: Joseph accurately prophesized that in 3 days, Pharaoh would execute his chief baker, who was in prison with Joseph. And within 3 days, on Pharaoh’s birthday, the chief baker was hanged. (Gen 40:18-22).

B). King Herod: On Herod’s birthday, he celebrated his birthday by having a banquet, which subsequently lead to the events of John the Baptist’ death (Mark 6:17-29).

Jehovah’s Witness logic: Because the Bible records these men committing heinous acts on their birthdays, that this is God’s way of covertly telling us that we should not celebrate our birthdays.

That has the be the most blatant, text book example of a non sequitur that one could possibly give.

This is like saying..

1. Every Thursday, before he committed a murder, Ted Bundy ate an ice cream sundae.

2. Therefore, we should not eat ice cream sundaes on Thursdays.

No, I cannot make this stuff up. This is the rationale of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Just plain silly.

Reason 2 (genetic fallacy): Their second reason is, most holidays have pagan origins. Their reasoning is since X holiday has pagan origins; we should not partake in it, because to partake in something that has pagan origins would not be pleasing to God (their belief).

The problem with that is, JW’s partake in a lot of things which have pagan origins.

I won’t get in to those specifics until this thread has gained some steam. But here is what I think is happening…

You see, Jehovah’s Witnesses has this “we are better than everyone else. We are God’s organization. We are the truth” mentality.

They try their best to be so different, mighty, and holy than everyone else, that slowly but surely they begin to venture further and further from Biblical truth and when that happens the fallacious non sequiturs begins to develop….which is so very obvious when you really think about it.

You see, the further you get from God's truth, the closer you get to other "stuff". We see this time and time again. The further we got from the truth (Jesus' death), all types of "stuff" began to creep into the system (all kinds of wacky, unBiblical doctrines).

The further Peter got from God's truth (message of faith), the more he began to sink (Matt 14:22).

Every time the Israelites strayed from God's truth, negative things began to happen to them.

The same can be applied here, because two evil men in the Bible committed heinous acts on their Birthday, that mean that I can’t have cake, ice cream, pizza, and soda on my birthday? Like, huh?

Seriously?

That is the kind of rationale that comes from leaving God’s truth and replacing it with your own. I have much more to say about this, but surely, more to come.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!