Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

On women preachers

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Howdy y'all, how y'all doing?
I know I aint much sposed to here, but here we go...

It seems as if there's a thing there, where the womenfolk're to be hushed in church.

But what if I'm in church, and it didn't done burn down, and there's a male preacher there, apreaching and carrying on, only he either can't sale him the tale, or I can't me understand it.

But theres a woman there, who sets me right on the path, straight and true.

For debate:

Should women preachers be allowed to do em it from the pulpit?

I remind folks that in this section of the site, well how bout that :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

onewithhim
Savant

Re: On women preachers

Post #41

Post by onewithhim »

OnceConvinced wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:33 pm
onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:18 am [Replying to OnceConvinced in post #34]

You misunderstand the whole thing about "slaves" and owning human beings. The situation is not like what we know happened with Black people in recent centuries. The term "slave" has a bad connotation because of their horrible treatment. It was not like that in Biblical times. Jehovah always made provisions for the "slave" to be treated fairly.
Nope I don't misunderstand it. The bible makes it quite clear there is a difference between slavery and indentured servitude. Your arguments are only convincing to the choir. But this is not the thread for that discussion.
I wonder how we got on this subject of slavery. You're right, this is not the thread for that discussion.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #42

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #38]
I understand your abhorrence of the fact that people could be beaten and "owned." I respect your point of view. As for myself, I cling to the portions of the Bible (and there are many) that show Jehovah to be merciful and loving, and I hope that all of this will become clear one day, as to why anyone should be beaten.

"Two sparrows sell for a coin of small value, do they not? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground without your Father's knowledge. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. So have no fear; you are worth more than many sparrows." (Matthew 10:29-31)

I can't bring myself to believe that a God like that would condone someone being literally beaten. Someday we shall be informed of everything, during Christ's Millennial Reign.

Miles
Savant

Post #43

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:23 pm [Replying to Miles in post #38]
I understand your abhorrence of the fact that people could be beaten and "owned." I respect your point of view. As for myself, I cling to the portions of the Bible (and there are many) that show Jehovah to be merciful and loving, and I hope that all of this will become clear one day, as to why anyone should be beaten.
Yeah, it's called cherry picking.

............................................. Image

I can't bring myself to believe that a God like that would condone someone being literally beaten.
Of course not because your requirement for an acceptable god won't let you. "I don't care what the Bible says about him, god HAS to be all good."

Someday we shall be informed of everything, during Christ's Millennial Reign.
And you know this because . . . . . . . ?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #44

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #44]

I know because (1) Jehovah would not keep his children in the dark about all that has gone on in this world. We all want to know. And (2) I have confidence in the scripture at Ist Corinthians 13:12 which says:

"For now we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known."

Miles
Savant

Post #45

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:34 pm [Replying to Miles in post #44]

I know because (1) Jehovah would not keep his children in the dark about all that has gone on in this world. We all want to know.
Boy, considering he's the self admitted creator of evil,

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

I wouldn't put anything loathsome past him, including deception about the accuracy of what you might "know" when Ist Corinthians 13:12 materializes.

And (2) I have confidence in the scripture at Ist Corinthians 13:12 which says:

"For now we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face-to-face. At present I know partially, but then I will know accurately, just as I am accurately known."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #46

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Miles in post #46]
Isaiah 45:7

"Evil" is not the evil you are trying to pin on God. When he says "evil," it means "calamity" or difficulty for the wicked people whose actions have caused Jehovah to turn His attention to them to discipline them for their odious deeds.

"I form light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity." Calamity for the wicked, who deserve it. (NWT, New American Standard)

"I form the light, and create darkness, I make well-being and create woe." (New American Bible) Again, woe for the wicked who make life difficult for good people.

Miles
Savant

Post #47

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:08 pm [Replying to Miles in post #46]

"Evil" is not the evil you are trying to pin on God. When he says "evil," it means "calamity" or difficulty for the wicked people whose actions have caused Jehovah to turn His attention to them to discipline them for their odious deeds.

"I form light and create darkness, I make peace and create calamity." Calamity for the wicked, who deserve it. (NWT, New American Standard)

"I form the light, and create darkness, I make well-being and create woe." (New American Bible) Again, woe for the wicked who make life difficult for good people.
I see your "woe" and "calamity" and raise you 26 "evils"

KJ21
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things

ASV
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

JUB
I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil: I am the LORD that does all this.

WYC
forming light, and making darknesses, making peace, and forming evil; I am the Lord, doing all these things.

LEB
I form light and I create darkness; I make peace and I create evil; I am Yahweh; I do all these things.

KJV
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

DRA
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

BRG
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

DARBY
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.'

AKJV

GNV

WBT (Webster's Bible Translation)
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

ERV (English Revised Version)
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things.

BST (Brenton Septuagint Translation)
I am he that prepared light, and formed darkness; who make peace, and create evil; I am the Lord God, that does all these things.

JPS (JPSTanakh 1917)
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things.

LEB (Lexham English Bible)
I form light and I create darkness; I make peace and I create evil; I am Yahweh; I do all these things.

CPB (Cambridge Paragraph Bible)
I form the light, and tcreate darkness: I make peace, and ucreate evil: I the Lord do all these things.

AFV (A Faithful version )
I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil. I the LORD do all these things.'

AB (Amplified Bible)
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and I create evil ; I am the Lord, Who does all these things.

LDS (Latter Day Saints)
I form the alight, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

WR (Websters Revision)

HEB (Hebrew English Bible)
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things. {P}

OUB (Orthodox Union Bible)
I form light and create darkness. I make peace and create evil. I am G-d, the One Who does all these things.

RV (Recovery Version)
He who forms the light and creates darkness, / He who makes peace and creates evil, / I am Jehovah who makes all these things.

JPSB) (Jewish Publication Society Bible)

William
Savant

Post #48

Post by William »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:32 pm

KJ21
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I, the Lord, do all these things

ASV
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things.

JUB
I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil: I am the LORD that does all this.

WYC
forming light, and making darknesses, making peace, and forming evil; I am the Lord, doing all these things.

LEB

KJV

DRA
I form the light, and create darkness, I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord that do all these things.

BRG

DARBY
forming the light and creating darkness, making peace and creating evil: I, Jehovah, do all these things.

YLT
Forming light, and preparing darkness, Making peace, and preparing evil, I [am] Jehovah, doing all these things.'

AKJV

GNV

WBT (Webster's Bible Translation)

ERV (English Revised Version)

BST (Brenton Septuagint Translation)
I am he that prepared light, and formed darkness; who make peace, and create evil; I am the Lord God, that does all these things.

JPS (JPSTanakh 1917)

LEB (Lexham English Bible)

CPB (Cambridge Paragraph Bible)
I form the light, and tcreate darkness: I make peace, and ucreate evil: I the Lord do all these things.

AFV (A Faithful version )
I form the light and create darkness; I make peace and create evil. I the LORD do all these things.'

AB (Amplified Bible)
I form the light and create darkness, I make peace and I create evil ; I am the Lord, Who does all these things.

LDS (Latter Day Saints)
I form the alight, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

WR (Websters Revision)

HEB (Hebrew English Bible)
I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am the LORD, that doeth all these things. {P}

OUB (Orthodox Union Bible)
I form light and create darkness. I make peace and create evil. I am G-d, the One Who does all these things.

RV (Recovery Version)
He who forms the light and creates darkness, / He who makes peace and creates evil, / I am Jehovah who makes all these things.

JPSB) (Jewish Publication Society Bible)

I suspect it may be a case of "a god can do good and evil stuff and it is not sin because no law tells a god they cannot do whatever they want to do."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #49

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:32 pm

My point was.....that is what "evil" connotates in the verses---calamity or woe. It is not that God created evil to be loosed on all mankind. It would be evil, calamity, woe, dire difficulty, etc., imposed on the wicked for their horrendous deeds towards innocent people.

Miles
Savant

Post #50

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
My point was.....that is what "evil" connotates in the verses---calamity or woe.
And I see "calamity" and "woe" as connoting evil. ;)
It is not that God created evil to be loosed on all mankind. It would be evil, calamity, woe, dire difficulty, etc., imposed on the wicked for their horrendous deeds towards innocent people.
Nice thought, I guess. Got any chapter and verse supporting this notion?