Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

On women preachers

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Howdy y'all, how y'all doing?
I know I aint much sposed to here, but here we go...

It seems as if there's a thing there, where the womenfolk're to be hushed in church.

But what if I'm in church, and it didn't done burn down, and there's a male preacher there, apreaching and carrying on, only he either can't sale him the tale, or I can't me understand it.

But theres a woman there, who sets me right on the path, straight and true.

For debate:

Should women preachers be allowed to do em it from the pulpit?

I remind folks that in this section of the site, well how bout that :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: On women preachers

Post #51

Post by PinSeeker »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 pm And I see "calamity" and "woe" as connoting evil.
We may think what God does ~ at least sometimes ~ is evil. Well, some of us, anyway. But that's only from our perspective, and means nothing, really. We don't like discomfort of any kind, do we? And likewise, we don't like the discomfort of others. But God can bless whoever He wants under any circumstance He wishes. Likewise, He can issue judgments and carry them out any way He wishes. As Creator and sovereign God, He is perfectly just in all He does.

Grace and peace to you, Miles.

Miles
Savant

Post #52

Post by Miles »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:10 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 pm And I see "calamity" and "woe" as connoting evil.
We may think what God does ~ at least sometimes ~ is evil. Well, some of us, anyway. But that's only from our perspective, and means nothing, really. We don't like discomfort of any kind, do we? And likewise, we don't like the discomfort of others. But God can bless whoever He wants under any circumstance He wishes. Likewise, He can issue judgments and carry them out any way He wishes. As Creator and sovereign God, He is perfectly just in all He does.

Grace and peace to you, Miles.
Then Isaiah 45:7 is just one of those cherries you don't pick. Understood.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by PinSeeker »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:05 pm Then Isaiah 45:7 is just one of those cherries you don't pick. Understood.
Nope. Sometimes love is (really, really, really) tough... and it may not look like love to us from our human perspective. The whole counsel of God is true 100% of the time. Opinion appreciated, though...

Grace and peace to you.

Miles
Savant

Post #54

Post by Miles »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:21 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:05 pm Then Isaiah 45:7 is just one of those cherries you don't pick. Understood.
Nope. Sometimes love is (really, really, really) tough... and it may not look like love to us from our human perspective.
Okay, but what does this have to do with god creating evil?

Isaiah 45:7
"I form the light, and create darkness; I make peace, and create evil; I am Jehovah, that doeth all these things."

The whole counsel of God is true 100% of the time.
Not sure what you mean by "true" here; that god actually gave such counsel, or that such counsel was correct, or . . . ?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by PinSeeker »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 pm Okay, but what does this have to do with god creating evil?
As has been said by others, you are misreading it, which can happen. If I say, someone is creating evils, that does not necessarily mean an evil is meant upon someone. And that is the context here. This is probably not quite as illustrative as it could be, but, for example, say a law goes into effect that has an adverse effect on your pocketbook. The congressmen and congresswomen who passed that law and the president who signed it did not have evil intentions toward you or anybody else. Right? Now, it might benefit some more than others, or benefit no one ~ and even cause at least some much hardship. But still, ideally speaking, they passed it with, overall, intentions of the good of all citizens. As I said, maybe not the best of examples, because God, unlike men and women, does not make mistakes. :)
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 pm
Not sure what you mean by "true" here; that god actually gave such counsel, or that such counsel was correct, or . . . ?
"The whole counsel of God" is another way of saying, "Bible," or "God's Word." In answer to your questions: Yes. :D

Grace and peace to you.

Miles
Savant

Post #56

Post by Miles »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:44 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 5:31 pm Okay, but what does this have to do with god creating evil?
As has been said by others, you are misreading it, which can happen. If I say, someone is creating evils, that does not necessarily mean an evil is meant upon someone. And that is the context here.
I haven't the faintest idea of what "evil is meant upon someone" means. Please clarify.

This is probably not quite as illustrative as it could be, but, for example, say a law goes into effect that has an adverse effect on your pocketbook. The congressmen and congresswomen who passed that law and the president who signed it did not have evil intentions toward you or anybody else. Right?
I don't see what relevance this has to god's declaration that he creates evil, . . . . but as for your remark here, I have no knowledge as to what their intentions might be. They might be good. They might be benign. They might be self-serving. They might be evil. Image

Now, it might benefit some more than others, or benefit no one ~ and even cause at least some much hardship. But still, ideally speaking, they passed it with, overall, intentions of the good of all citizens. As I said, maybe not the best of examples, because God, unlike men and women, does not make mistakes. :)
Ah, but god does make mistakes.

Genesis 6:6
And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

1 Samuel 15:35
Samuel never saw Saul again before he died, but he grieved over Saul. However, the Lord regretted making Saul king over Israel.

Jeremiah 42:10
‘If you will just remain in this land, I’ll build you up and not pull you down. I’ll plant you and not uproot you, for I’m sorry about the disaster I’ve brought on you.

People don't repent, regret, or feel sorry for the right things they've done, but they do for the mistakes they've made.

quote=Miles post_id=1047954 time=1629840664 user_id=4854]
"The whole counsel of God" is another way of saying, "Bible," or "God's Word." In answer to your questions: Yes. :D
In which case I'm glad you agree that god does indeed make mistakes. :mrgreen:

onewithhim
Savant

Post #57

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
My point was.....that is what "evil" connotates in the verses---calamity or woe.
And I see "calamity" and "woe" as connoting evil. ;)
It is not that God created evil to be loosed on all mankind. It would be evil, calamity, woe, dire difficulty, etc., imposed on the wicked for their horrendous deeds towards innocent people.
Nice thought, I guess. Got any chapter and verse supporting this notion?

Only the plethora of verses that show Jehovah to be merciful and kind.

"I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea." (Isaiah 48:17, 18)

All people have to do is listen to Him and their lives would be blessed and happy. If they don't listen and they ignore Him, woe befalls them because of their own behavior.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by PinSeeker »

Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm I haven't the faintest idea of what "evil is meant upon someone" means.
You should, because that's what you're accusing God of.
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm Ah, but god does make mistakes.
Some people may think so, but no. Absolutely not. His thoughts and ways are not ours (Isaiah 55). And His knowledge is far higher than we can attain to (Psalm 139).
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm People don't repent, regret, or feel sorry for the right things they've done, but they do for the mistakes they've made.
Well, I mean there it is: God is not a "people." :) He's not a sinner, like people are, and not sinful in anything (everything) He does, as people are. So, a.) there is never any need for repentance on God's part because He is without sin, and b.) it follows closely that even His regret ~ unlike that of people ~ is sinless and absolutely holy.

Grace and peace to you.
Last edited by PinSeeker on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miles
Savant

Post #59

Post by Miles »

PinSeeker wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:08 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm I haven't the faintest idea of what "evil is meant upon someone" means.
You should, because that's what you're accusing God of.
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm Ah, but god does make mistakes.
Some people may think so, but no. Absolutely not. His thoughts and ways are now ours (Isaiah 55). And His knowledge is far higher than we can attain to (Psalm 139).
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:04 pm People don't repent, regret, or feel sorry for the right things they've done, but they do for the mistakes they've made.
Well, I mean there it is: God is not a "people." :) He's not a sinner, like people are, and not sinful in anything (everything) He does, as people are. So, a.) there is never any need for repentance on God's part because He is without sin, and b.) it follows closely that even His regret ~ unlike that of people ~ is sinless and absolutely holy.

Grace and peace to you.
Have a nice day.

Miles
Savant

Post #60

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:41 am
Miles wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:59 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:57 am
My point was.....that is what "evil" connotates in the verses---calamity or woe.
And I see "calamity" and "woe" as connoting evil. ;)
It is not that God created evil to be loosed on all mankind. It would be evil, calamity, woe, dire difficulty, etc., imposed on the wicked for their horrendous deeds towards innocent people.
Nice thought, I guess. Got any chapter and verse supporting this notion?

Only the plethora of verses that show Jehovah to be merciful and kind.
And what of those verses showing him to be a real #^$#&? Oh, I know, you just ignore them.