Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

On women preachers

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Howdy y'all, how y'all doing?
I know I aint much sposed to here, but here we go...

It seems as if there's a thing there, where the womenfolk're to be hushed in church.

But what if I'm in church, and it didn't done burn down, and there's a male preacher there, apreaching and carrying on, only he either can't sale him the tale, or I can't me understand it.

But theres a woman there, who sets me right on the path, straight and true.

For debate:

Should women preachers be allowed to do em it from the pulpit?

I remind folks that in this section of the site, well how bout that :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: On women preachers

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

The scripture in question is not to be taken in the absolute ie it is not saying no woman may ever make any sound from her mouth inside a buliding holding a religious service: that interpretation is, in my opinion, absurd.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe it means that women are not to occupy a position of leadership in the christian community and not to be teach or preach within the christian congregation.

JW
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

WOMEN, PRAYER and ....WORSHIP
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 am The scripture in question is not to be taken in the absolute ie it is not saying no woman may ever make any sound from her mouth inside a buliding holding a religious service: that interpretation is, in my opinion, absurd.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe it means that women are not to occupy a position of leadership in the christian community and not to be teach or preach.
I get it, then, that women can utter.

My question remains...

What of a condition where a male preacher can't get the point across, such that I might understand, and become myself among the faithful, only he can't convince me?

But a woman is able to convince me to accept the whole Jesus and God thing?

I'm reminded here of u/Miss tam. I don't mean to put on her bad biblical stuff, or bad judgements, but she "speaks" to me. She convinces me that if there's a loving God, well how bout that.

Is there not anything that says if the male preacher can't convince me, it's okay for the female preacher to do it?

To me, it just seems odd that if God wants his message told, he'd not restrict or contain some of us to do it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:25 am
Jehovah's Witnesses believe it means that women are not to occupy a position of leadership in the christian community and not to be teach or preach within the christian congregation.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:42 am
What of a condition where a male preacher can't get the point across [...]he can't convince me? But a woman is able to convince me to accept the whole Jesus and God thing?
You are a non-believer and therefore you not a part of the Christian congregation; Pauls address was regarding teaching believers, not unbelivers like you. In short, we understand women can indeed be preachers and teachers of outsiders (like you) as they are ministers of the good news just like our men folk. They do not teach ----> WITHIN <---THE CONGREGATION /CHURCH.

You would be the equivalent of the man* on the bike ie a non-believer.

* NOTE : Our present policy is, whenever possible, not to conduct regular bible home studies with members of the opposite sex

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

FURTHER READING All True Christians Are Evangelizers
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2002002

RELATED POSTS
Do all Jehovah's Witnesses preach?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 24#p812724

Do Jehovahs Witness women preach publically?[this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1046417#p1046417
To learn more po to my other posts related to...

WOMEN , JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES and ...PUBLIC PREACHING

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

onewithhim
Savant

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]
Jehovah's Witnesses follow the scriptures closely, and the scriptures say that a woman is not to teach the congregation---as from the pulpit. See, please, I Timothy 2:11-14. In our congregations any brother teaching from the platform is just as knowledgeable as any other person there, otherwise he wouldn't be allowed to give a talk. I am a woman and it is fine with me that the men should take the lead.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #6

Post by OnceConvinced »

That scripture simply says they should not be allowed to teach. It says nothing anywhere in those scriptures that it applies only to churches or pulpits. You guys are adding in words that aren't there. Remember Christian churches back in those days weren't conducted in buildings with pulpits. Being a church teacher goes beyond just teaching fellow believers. Timothy was an evangelist, so would have also been involved in reaching unbelievers. The whole idea of the church was to reach unbelievers and convert them. Churches would have contained both believers and unbelievers.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by PinSeeker »

OnceConvinced wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:04 pm That scripture simply says they should not be allowed to teach. It says nothing anywhere in those scriptures that it applies only to churches or pulpits.
Well, right, to teach or to exercise authority. So we could apply it also to, say, remote Bible studies, for instance. Women are not supposed to teach or exercise authority over men in Bible-instruction settings, as this is outside of their role prescribed by God Himself.
OnceConvinced wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:04 pm Being a church teacher goes beyond just teaching fellow believers. Timothy was an evangelist, so would have also been involved in reaching unbelievers. The whole idea of the church was to reach unbelievers and convert them. Churches would have contained both believers and unbelievers.
Right, but what you say is beyond the point. Whether unbelievers are present or not in those Bible instruction settings is irrelevant to the point. Evangelism outside of church-oriented gatherings, whether remote or not, is outside the scope of what Timothy is saying in that passage.

Grace and peace to you.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #8

Post by OnceConvinced »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #7]

So do you consider it morally acceptable that women not be allowed to teach in churches?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

OnceConvinced wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:04 pm That scripture simply says they should not be allowed to teach. It says nothing anywhere in those scriptures that it applies only to churches or pulpits.
Jehovahs Witnesses take a wholistic approach to scripture, in other words we take the bible as a whole when considering how any one scripture should properly understood. For example we consider Pauls words at 1 Timothy in the light of his address on the same subject to the Corinthians for context.
1 CORINTHIANS 14: 34, 35

... let the women keep silent in the congregations, for it is not permitted for them to speak.+ Rather, let them be in subjection,+ as the Law also says. 35 If they want to learn something, let them ask their husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the congregation.
Allowing the bible to interpret itself in this way and applying critical thinking skills Jehovahs Witnesses can understand what the bible means even when specific words are not present in a particular passage.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

OnceConvinced wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:24 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #7]

So do you consider it morally acceptable that women not be allowed to teach in churches?
IS IT MORAL TO LIMIT CHRISTIAN LEADERSHIP TO MALE MEMBERS OF THE CHURCH?

Yes it is. MORALITY refers to principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour. Many today consider it "immoral", bad or wrong that certain responsibilities are prohibited to women but bible beliving Christians hold it is Almighty God that ultimately determines what is to be considered "right or wrong".
Jehovahs Witnesses believe that since the bible prohibits women from positions of congregational leadership, it is right and proper to act accordingly.
In short we hold it is totally acceptable and entirely moral that women not be allowed to teach in churches since this is Gods will at this time.

DOES THIS PROHIBITION DEVALUE WOMEN ?

No. Firstly congregational teaching is not a right it is a privilege extended to those God sees as most fitting for the role according to his good pleasure. Men, for example cannot concieve, carry and give birth to children; that privilege (arguably one of the greatest) has been is extended only to one sex. This is not a reflection on the value God holds men to but is simply how He has chosen to organise how physical families are organised. In a similar way, the congrgation is organised in a certain way, with each member having a role for the benefit of the whole.

Further, even though women do not teach during the public meetings, they do participate as well as also play a valuable role in the congrgation supporting and upbuilding both men and women, young and old. Last but by no means least, women are considered Ministers as they preach and teach the good news of the Kingdom publically, a privilege held out to all qualified members of the congregation.

JW