Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

On women preachers

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Howdy y'all, how y'all doing?
I know I aint much sposed to here, but here we go...

It seems as if there's a thing there, where the womenfolk're to be hushed in church.

But what if I'm in church, and it didn't done burn down, and there's a male preacher there, apreaching and carrying on, only he either can't sale him the tale, or I can't me understand it.

But theres a woman there, who sets me right on the path, straight and true.

For debate:

Should women preachers be allowed to do em it from the pulpit?

I remind folks that in this section of the site, well how bout that :wave:
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

tam
Savant

Re: On women preachers

Post #31

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am
tam wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:16 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:41 pm
tam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:27 pm Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:24 am [Replying to tam in post #12]

Someone has to take the lead in the congregations, even though Christ is our Leader. Christ has delegated certain duties to the brothers who make up the programs and pay the bills and communicate with the Governing Body, etc. If someone were not delegated, there would be confusion and chaos in the congregations with everybody doing what they feel like doing, or not doing. It is said, "Let everything take place decently and by arrangement." (I Corinthians 14:40)
There's no electric bill in the Body of Christ. Christ is Himself the Light, and the water is FREE. (Rev 22:17; John 7:37)

There is no rent or mortgage, because the Body of Christ is not a building or a kingdom hall or a religion. Maintenance and upkeep is spiritual (just as worship of God is in spirit and in truth).

Christ is the Leader and the Teacher of His Church/His Body. Christ directs and teaches and disciplines and leads His Body (the individual members), Himself. Just as He sent Phillip to the Ethiopian. Just as He sent Paul to the Gentiles (taking Stephen's place, since Stephen was murdered with Paul's approval when Paul persecuted the church). Just as He sent Ananias to Paul. Just as He sent Peter to Cornelius. Christ places each member where He wants them to be in the Body, trains and disciplines them Himself, gives gifts of the spirit to each member as He knows is needed.

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Then what does this mean?

"Let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24,25, KJV)
This means that the author of Hebrews encouraged the Hebrews (the people he wrote to) to keep gathering (and/or to keep gathering people IN to themselves) even though some others had stopped doing that.

It doesn't mean anything more than that. If a brother and a sister come to my house (or me to theirs), we have gathered together (and we would do so in Christ).

Peace again to you.
According to my dictionary (Funk and Wagnalls), "assemble" has the meaning of "To bring or come together IN A CROWD." How does that harmonize with your idea of one or two meeting together?
I did not limit it to one or two people. Assembling or gathering together - that can refer to many or it can refer to a few.

Peace again to you.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #32

Post by onewithhim »

tam wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:18 pm Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:52 am
tam wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:16 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:41 pm
tam wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:27 pm Peace to you,
onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:24 am [Replying to tam in post #12]

Someone has to take the lead in the congregations, even though Christ is our Leader. Christ has delegated certain duties to the brothers who make up the programs and pay the bills and communicate with the Governing Body, etc. If someone were not delegated, there would be confusion and chaos in the congregations with everybody doing what they feel like doing, or not doing. It is said, "Let everything take place decently and by arrangement." (I Corinthians 14:40)
There's no electric bill in the Body of Christ. Christ is Himself the Light, and the water is FREE. (Rev 22:17; John 7:37)

There is no rent or mortgage, because the Body of Christ is not a building or a kingdom hall or a religion. Maintenance and upkeep is spiritual (just as worship of God is in spirit and in truth).

Christ is the Leader and the Teacher of His Church/His Body. Christ directs and teaches and disciplines and leads His Body (the individual members), Himself. Just as He sent Phillip to the Ethiopian. Just as He sent Paul to the Gentiles (taking Stephen's place, since Stephen was murdered with Paul's approval when Paul persecuted the church). Just as He sent Ananias to Paul. Just as He sent Peter to Cornelius. Christ places each member where He wants them to be in the Body, trains and disciplines them Himself, gives gifts of the spirit to each member as He knows is needed.

Peace again to you, and to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
Then what does this mean?

"Let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works: Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching." (Hebrews 10:24,25, KJV)
This means that the author of Hebrews encouraged the Hebrews (the people he wrote to) to keep gathering (and/or to keep gathering people IN to themselves) even though some others had stopped doing that.

It doesn't mean anything more than that. If a brother and a sister come to my house (or me to theirs), we have gathered together (and we would do so in Christ).

Peace again to you.
According to my dictionary (Funk and Wagnalls), "assemble" has the meaning of "To bring or come together IN A CROWD." How does that harmonize with your idea of one or two meeting together?
I did not limit it to one or two people. Assembling or gathering together - that can refer to many or it can refer to a few.

Peace again to you.
I believe it refers to a crowd of people, and that would be spiritual brothers and sisters getting together on a regular basis, "decently and by arrangement." (I Corinthians 14:40, NWT) ..."Let all things be done decently and in order." (KJV) This advice is vital to the fruitful functioning of a large group of people, to gather together at a set time and place.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #33

Post by OnceConvinced »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:47 pm
OnceConvinced wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:10 pm
Many see limiting women in that way as wrong and bad behavior.
Well we are discussing biblical theology and that is not established by majority vote. Biblically there is nothing at all wrong or sexist about with how God has arranged the congregation. Thank you for sharing your personal opinion, if there is a religion where you are considered God, I'm sure its members would care what you think.

JW
And it appears to be your personal opinion that if it's endorsed in the bible it must therefore be moral. It can't possibly be considered sexist or wrong.

So anything, because it's in the bible and God deems it ok, it becomes moral, in your world view. So God could also endorse other horrible things such as owning another human being as property and, because he does so, then it must be considered moral. Oh wait... he DOES!

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

onewithhim
Savant

Post #34

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to OnceConvinced in post #34]

You misunderstand the whole thing about "slaves" and owning human beings. The situation is not like what we know happened with Black people in recent centuries. The term "slave" has a bad connotation because of their horrible treatment. It was not like that in Biblical times. Jehovah always made provisions for the "slave" to be treated fairly.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #35

Post by JehovahsWitness »

OnceConvinced wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:00 pm
Well we are discussing biblical theology and that is not established by majority vote. Biblically there is nothing at all wrong or sexist about with how God has arranged the congregation. Thank you for sharing your personal opinion, if there is a religion where you are considered God, I'm sure its members would care what you think.

JW
And it appears to be your personal opinion that if it's endorsed in the bible it must therefore be moral. It can't possibly be considered sexist or wrong.

My personal opinion is not the subject of debate and I see no mention of me as an individual in the OP. Your comment is irrelevant.

The fact is the bible presents YHWH (Jehovah) as the perfect standard of what is moral and just and at no time is he called sexist ; there is nothing sexist or prejudicial in the passage under discussion.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #36

Post by OnceConvinced »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:18 am [Replying to OnceConvinced in post #34]

You misunderstand the whole thing about "slaves" and owning human beings. The situation is not like what we know happened with Black people in recent centuries. The term "slave" has a bad connotation because of their horrible treatment. It was not like that in Biblical times. Jehovah always made provisions for the "slave" to be treated fairly.
Nope I don't misunderstand it. The bible makes it quite clear there is a difference between slavery and indentured servitude. Your arguments are only convincing to the choir. But this is not the thread for that discussion.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Miles
Savant

Post #37

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:18 am [Replying to OnceConvinced in post #34]

Exodus 21:20-21
“When a man strikes his slave, male or female, with a rod and the slave dies under his hand, he shall be avenged. But if the slave survives a day or two, he is not to be avenged, for the slave is his money.

Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with fear and trembling, with a sincere heart, as you would Christ,

Titus 2:9-10

Slaves are to be submissive to their own masters in everything;
they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

Exodus 21:2
When you buy a Hebrew slave, he shall serve six years, and in the seventh he shall go out free, for nothing.

However

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

And you think that god meant for slaves to be treated fairly. Yah, sure. :roll:

Besides, it isn't the treatment of slaves that's so abhorrent about Biblical slavery, but the fact that a "loving god" would condone owning another as property in the first place. How would you like to be owned . . . by me Image ? Take my word for it, you wouldn't.

Miles
Savant

Post #38

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:02 pm
OnceConvinced wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:00 pm

JW

My personal opinion is not the subject of debate and I see no mention of me as an individual in the OP. Your comment is irrelevant.

The fact is the bible presents YHWH (Jehovah) as the perfect standard of what is moral and just and at no time is he called sexist;* there is nothing sexist or prejudicial in the passage under discussion.
Thank god we have slavery and homophobia as perfect moral standards or we might think that owning people and killing practicing homosexuals was wrong, or even sinful.

*FYI etymology:
sexist (adj.)
1965, from sex (n.) on model of racist, coined by Pauline M. Leet, director of special programs at Franklin & Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, U.S.,
Source: Online Etymology Dictionary

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #39

Miles wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Thank god we have slavery and homophobia as perfect moral standards or we might think that owning people and killing practicing homosexuals was wrong, or even sinful.
Your thanks to whichever God you feel you (and whoever you believe you are refering to by"we") owe gratitude has been duly noted. If you have a coherent counterargument to present to my post feel free (preferably without sarcasm) if not, have a most wonderful day.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
# Does God violate his own moral standards?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 20#p840620

Is God SEXIST?
viewtopic.php?p=1040224#p1040224

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SLAVERY, HOMOPHOBIA and ... BIBLICAL KILLING

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #40

Miles wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:37 pmHow would you like to be owned . . . by me [...] Take my word for it, you wouldn't.

Why!? What would you do to your slaves? If you owned people, how would you treat them?

These are not rhetorical questions, I'm curious about how you personally feel you would treat someone under your ownership and why anyone should fear that treatment?

JW