Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://biblehub.com/luke/20-38.htm
37Even Moses demonstrates that the dead are raised, in the passage about the burning bush. For he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to Him all are alive.”
Are Abraham, Isaac and Jacob alive or dead right now?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead

Post #111

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:17 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:31 pm [Replying to Checkpoint in post #105]

Being in God's memory means that they are alive to him, in that he remembers every minute detail about the dead person. So it is AS IF they were alive to him.
Does he remember the wicked in the same way as the good?
I would say that no, he does not---if the person was truly wicked with no chance of changing. It is the non-evil people that he remembers, whether they happen to be non-Christian or faithful Christians. Many have not heard the truth and had the chance to decide that they want to have a relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. "There is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15)

Wootah
Savant

Post #112

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:23 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:31 pm [Replying to Checkpoint in post #105]

Being in God's memory means that they are alive to him, in that he remembers every minute detail about the dead person. So it is AS IF they were alive to him.
I would say that no, he does not---if the person was truly wicked with no chance of changing. It is the non-evil people that he remembers, whether they happen to be non-Christian or faithful Christians. Many have not heard the truth and had the chance to decide that they want to have a relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. "There is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous." (Acts 24:15)
Is your version of God not omniscient? He can forget?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #113

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:32 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 9:23 pm

Is your version of God not omniscient? He can forget?
No of course not. He chooses not to remember those that are thoroughly evil, who will not change. Those kind of people would just keep bringing misery onto people who want to do what is right and good.

"Evil men will be done away with, but those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; you will look at where they were, and they will not be there." (Psalm 37:9,10)

Wootah
Savant

Post #114

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am No of course not. He chooses not to remember those that are thoroughly evil, who will not change. Those kind of people would just keep bringing misery onto people who want to do what is right and good.

"Evil men will be done away with, but those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; you will look at where they were, and they will not be there." (Psalm 37:9,10)
Is Cain evil or was he saved? Did God forget Cain?

Do you really want to hold this position?

Do you and I remember Hitler but God doesn't?

Ok. I think you are saying God has them in their brain but does not remember them.

How do you know you arent in God's mind now?

Also, doesnt this view mean that there is part of God that is not holy?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #115

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:22 pm
onewithhim wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:49 am No of course not. He chooses not to remember those that are thoroughly evil, who will not change. Those kind of people would just keep bringing misery onto people who want to do what is right and good.

Is Cain evil or was he saved? Did God forget Cain?

Do you really want to hold this position?

Do you and I remember Hitler but God doesn't?

Ok. I think you are saying God has them in their brain but does not remember them.

How do you know you arent in God's mind now?

Also, doesnt this view mean that there is part of God that is not holy?
I stand by what I said above. Maybe you can reread it.

Wootah
Savant

Post #116

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #115]

I read it, it seems illogical so I want to ask more questions.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #117

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:51 pm [Replying to onewithhim in post #115]

May I ask why it would seem illogical when I quoted scriptures that show that there are wicked people whom God will destroy because they are irredeemably evil? Those types of individuals are not, as we say, in God's memory. Not that he cannot remember them, but he chooses not to because they are judged by him to be those that will not be good. Why is that illogical?

Wootah
Savant

Post #118

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:27 am

May I ask why it would seem illogical when I quoted scriptures that show that there are wicked people whom God will destroy because they are irredeemably evil? Those types of individuals are not, as we say, in God's memory. Not that he cannot remember them, but he chooses not to because they are judged by him to be those that will not be good. Why is that illogical?
Is Cain evil or was he saved? If Cain is evil and God forgot Cain (but we still know about Cain) then we are greater than God? Do you and I remember Hitler but God doesn't?

But you might be arguing that God has them in his mind but not in his memory.

How do you know you arent in God's mind now? How do you know this isn't all just your god dreaming?

Finally - Also, doesnt this view mean that there is part of God that is not holy? That you are arguing that God now has a part of him carrying the information of all sinners? Remember if God doesn't have any information about them then God is not omniscient.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #119

Post by onewithhim »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:27 am