Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://biblehub.com/luke/20-38.htm
37Even Moses demonstrates that the dead are raised, in the passage about the burning bush. For he calls the Lord ‘the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.’ 38 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living, for to Him all are alive.”
Are Abraham, Isaac and Jacob alive or dead right now?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Luke 20:38 - God is the God of the living not the dead

Post #91

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:39 pm ... .... for God the death of the righteous is only temporarily just like a nap.
myth-one.com wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:12 pm
From man's point of view Lazarus was dead.

From God's point of view, Lazarus was sleeping.

Isn't that what I said?
You guys know when you are sleeping you are alive right? From the sleepers point of view - they are alive.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #92

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:39 pm ... .... for God the death of the righteous is only temporarily just like a nap.

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:11 pm Isn't that what I said?
No. You limited your statement to only the righteous, and applied it to both possible deaths.

Correctly it should be --- for God, the first death of any human is only temporarily, just like a nap.
Wootah wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:58 am You guys know when you are sleeping you are alive right? From the sleeper's point of view - they are alive.
When a living human is sleeping, they are alive from all points of view.

But if they are said to be sleeping after their first death, they are dead from man's point of view, but sleeping from God's point of view.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #93

Post by JehovahsWitness »

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:05 am

No. You limited your statement to only the righteous, and applied it to both possible deaths.

Okay what I meant was "From man's point of view Lazarus was dead. From God's point of view, Lazarus was sleeping"

Consider my first comment replaced with the above.

Goodbye

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #94

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 am

Okay what I meant was "From man's point of view Lazarus was dead. From God's point of view, Lazarus was sleeping"

Goodbye
JW
Hello again.

In your first statement, you said "... .... for God the death of the righteous is only temporarily just like a nap."

To be correct, the first death of anyone is only temporary like a nap, and the second death of anyone is everlasting.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #95

myth-one.com wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:37 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 am

Goodbye
JW
Hello again.

In your first statement, you said "... .... for God the death of the righteous is only temporarily just like a nap."

To be correct, the first death of anyone is only temporary like a nap, and the second death of anyone is everlasting.

Did you not see, I said. ....Consider my first comment replaced with the above.

So please...Consider my first comment replaced with the above. namely ... "From man's point of view Lazarus was dead. From God's point of view, Lazarus was sleeping"

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

onewithhim
Savant

Post #96

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:03 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 pm [Replying to Wootah in post #1]

All of the old patriarchs are still dead. The Scripture you quoted says that, although they are dead, they are alive TO HIM. Jehovah remembers every detail about the dead people so that they are alive to him, in his memory. They are not literally alive. I remember that Jesus said that he will resurrect people "in the last day" (John 6:40,44), and this will include Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
That's pretty lame. If that is what God actually means. So when someone says that their dead parents are alive to them do you think they are alive? It is a white lie at best and God isn't a liar - right? At least tell me you don't think God is a liar.
Of course God isn't a liar, and I explained exactly what that scripture means. And if someone said to me that their parents are alive to them, I would not think they were literally alive.

Wootah
Savant

Post #97

Post by Wootah »

onewithhim wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 pm

All of the old patriarchs are still dead. The Scripture you quoted says that, although they are dead, they are alive TO HIM. Jehovah remembers every detail about the dead people so that they are alive to him, in his memory. They are not literally alive. I remember that Jesus said that he will resurrect people "in the last day" (John 6:40,44), and this will include Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
That's pretty lame. If that is what God actually means. So when someone says that their dead parents are alive to them do you think they are alive? It is a white lie at best and God isn't a liar - right? At least tell me you don't think God is a liar.
Of course God isn't a liar, and I explained exactly what that scripture means. And if someone said to me that their parents are alive to them, I would not think they were literally alive.
Of course, you are allowed to maintain double standards. It is the function of debate to reveal them.

Let's also add you know what God thinks. You think when God says they are alive that he means of course they are dead, *wink*, but alive to me in my mind *wink*.

The curse at the beginning was death, after Jesus' death and resurrection, Paul says of death, "oh death where is thy sting." and you are saying oh nah they are still dead. Maybe Jesus died and was resurrected in God's eyes? Good grief.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #98

Wootah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:55 am Paul says of death, "oh death where is thy sting." and you are saying oh nah they are still dead.
So what is your point? That all the people that have ceased all bodily functions, and whose physical bodies have decayed and returned to dust, are all actually, alive in another form? Is your point that nobody is actually dead in the sense of no longer existing ? Because Jehovahs Witnesses don't believe in the immortality of the soul.

JW

onewithhim
Savant

Post #99

Post by onewithhim »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:55 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 pm

Of course, you are allowed to maintain double standards. It is the function of debate to reveal them.

Let's also add you know what God thinks. You think when God says they are alive that he means of course they are dead, *wink*, but alive to me in my mind *wink*.

The curse at the beginning was death, after Jesus' death and resurrection, Paul says of death, "oh death where is thy sting." and you are saying oh nah they are still dead. Maybe Jesus died and was resurrected in God's eyes? Good grief.
So you are saying that people are not really dead? You have another definition of "death"? When someone dies they are not actually dead?

Wootah
Savant

Post #100

Post by Wootah »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 am
Wootah wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:55 am Paul says of death, "oh death where is thy sting." and you are saying oh nah they are still dead.
So what is your point? That all the people that have ceased all bodily functions, and whose physical bodies have decayed and returned to dust, are all actually, alive in another form? Is your point that nobody is actually dead in the sense of no longer existing ? Because Jehovahs Witnesses don't believe in the immortality of the soul.

JW
Hi JW - can you link me to that belief? I didn't know that you don't believe in the immortality of the soul. Incredible.