Under Probation

Nephilim

Post #1

Post by 2timothy316 »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:13 am
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:18 pm
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:04 pm
myth-one.com wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:53 pm
These "men of God" may have been descendants of the Godly line of Seth -- as they began to intermarry with the "daughters of men" (women from the ungodly family line of Cain).
Where is this in the Bible that Seth had some special power. Explain where you learned all of this?
I don't know that Seth had some special power.

The "men of God" were definitely not angels because angels do not take wives according to Jesus.

I read the explanation involving Seth and Cain in The International Version Full Life Study Bible.
Then why are the Nephilim described as mighty ones and giants? What made them so special to have such descriptions? When the Hebrews scouted Canaan, they said that Nephilim were there and that was considered to a 'bad report'. If the Nephilim were from a Godly line, shouldn't have that been a good report?
https://biblehub.com/genesis/6-4.htm
https://biblehub.com/numbers/13-33.htm

In verse 2 why did the 'sons of the True God' or a line of Seth, suddenly see the daughters of men beautiful and start taking wives after mankind started grow in number? How can there be descendants at all if they had never had wives before?
https://biblehub.com/genesis/6-2.htm

If these were Godly men, then why was only Noah and his family the only ones saved at the flood?

1 Peter 3:19,20 says, "And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water." Compare 2 Peter 2:4,5. "Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment. And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people."
Who are these disobedient angels that Peter is writing about and why are they punished along with ungodly people in Noah's day?

Also, while you're correct that Jesus said that angels do not have wives, could that rule exist because of what happened in Noah's day? Or that rule always existed but some angels were, as Peter said, "disobedient" to that rule?

What Biblical evidence is there that the Sons of the True God were from the line of Seth?
"Now when men started to grow in number on the surface of the ground and daughters were born to them, the sons of the true God began to notice that the daughters of men were beautiful. So they began taking as wives all whom they chose...The Nephʹi·lim were on the earth in those days and afterward. During that time the sons of the true God continued to have relations with the daughters of men, and these bore sons to them. They were the mighty ones of old times, the men of fame." Gen 6:1,2,4

Who were the Nephilim and who were the Sons of the True God that the Nephilim came from?

Savant

Re: Nephilim

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:40 am ...
Who were the Nephilim and who were the Sons of the True God that the Nephilim came from?
I have understood the sons of God means angels.

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1
I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7
Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

1213 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:02 pm

God presides in the great assembly. He judges among the gods.
Psalms 82:1
I said, "You are gods, All of you are sons of the Most High. Nevertheless you shall die like men, And fall like one of the rulers."
Psalms 82:6-7
Now it happened on the day when the sons of God came to present themselves before Yahweh, that Satan also came among them.
Job 1:6
This is what I have come to understand as well. Some though have said,
These "men of God" may have been descendants of the Godly line of Seth -- as they began to intermarry with the "daughters of men" (women from the ungodly family line of Cain).
Which is an interpretation I have not heard before.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Luke 20:36 presents a major problem for that conclusion:
"for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."
If sons of God are angels they would not be described as "equal to angels", they would simply be referred to as angels.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #5

Post by 2timothy316 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:12 pm
"for they cannot die anymore, because they are equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection."
If sons of God are angels they would not be described as "equal to angels", they would simply be referred to as angels.

Tcg
If they are not angels then perhaps you'd like to address the following....

Then why are the Nephilim described as mighty ones and giants? What made them so special to have such descriptions? When the Hebrews scouted Canaan, they said that Nephilim were there and that was considered to a 'bad report'. If the Nephilim were from a Godly line, shouldn't have that been a good report?
https://biblehub.com/genesis/6-4.htm
https://biblehub.com/numbers/13-33.htm

In verse 2 why did the 'sons of the True God' or a line of Seth, suddenly see the daughters of men beautiful and start taking wives after mankind started grow in number? How can there be descendants at all if they had never had wives before?
https://biblehub.com/genesis/6-2.htm

If these were Godly men, then why was only Noah and his family the only ones saved at the flood?

1 Peter 3:19,20 says, "And in this state he went and preached to the spirits in prison, who had formerly been disobedient when God was patiently waiting in Noah’s day, while the ark was being constructed, in which a few people, that is, eight souls, were carried safely through the water." Compare 2 Peter 2:4,5. "Certainly God did not refrain from punishing the angels who sinned, but threw them into Tarʹta·rus, putting them in chains of dense darkness to be reserved for judgment. And he did not refrain from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a flood upon a world of ungodly people."
Who are these disobedient angels that Peter is writing about and why are they punished along with ungodly people in Noah's day?

Also, while you're correct that Jesus said that angels do not have wives, could that rule exist because of what happened in Noah's day? Or that rule always existed but some angels were, as Peter said, "disobedient" to that rule?

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:12 pm ....
If sons of God are angels they would not be described as "equal to angels",...
I have understood "equal to angels and are sons of God, being sons of the resurrection" means people who have been saved, have been born anew as Jesus taught. Because they are "sons of the resurrection", they cannot die anymore. But it is not the same as the sons of God in the OT.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:11 pm ...
Which is an interpretation I have not heard before.
Difficult to see how that could be interpreted from the Bible.