Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

thomasdixon
Apprentice

There are 80 books in the King James Bible

Post #1

Post by thomasdixon »

Personally, I favor the KJV
The Old Testament is the original Hebrew Bible, the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, written at different times between about 1200 and 165 BC. The New Testament books were written by Christians in the first century AD.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ible.shtml

Scholars in the first half of the 20th century came to the conclusion that the Yahwist was produced in the monarchic period, specifically at the court of Solomon, 10th century BC, and the Priestly work in the middle of the 5th century BC (the author was even identified as Ezra), but more recent thinking is that the Yahwist was written either just before or during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC, and the Priestly final edition was made late in the Exilic period or soon after
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Genesis

There are 80 books in the King James Bible; 39 in the Old Testament, 14 in the Apocrypha, and 27 in the New Testament.
The books in the KJV were written by different people at different times.
The books are not intended to follow a chronological order. You get out of each Book what there is independently from the rest.
At least that is my view of things.
How about you?
:D

Miles
Savant

Re: There are 80 books in the King James Bible

Post #2

Post by Miles »

My favorite Bible is the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV). As a whole it's far easier to comprehend than any of the others, including the KJV.

Galatians 2:20
(Paul speaking)

KJV
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

ERV
So I am not the one living now—it is Christ living in me. I still live in my body, but I live by faith in the Son of God. He is the one who loved me and gave himself to save me.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

To the OP:
  • All King James Bibles published before 1666 included the Apocrypha, but they properly denote them as not part of the Biblical Canon and therefore not equal to Scripture proper.
  • The books of all Bibles were written by different people at different times, but they all line up perfectly, and this is but one of the things that speaks to the Bible's veracity.
  • Not all the books together are intended to follow a chronological order, but there are histories and genealogies and narratives that are most assuredly in chronological order, and all the books can be placed in a chronological order according to when they were written.
  • You do not get out of each Book only what there is independently from the rest -- unless you just decide to do that, which is not advisable.
Miles wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm My favorite Bible is the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV). As a whole it's far easier to comprehend than any of the others, including the KJV.
Yes, I like the ESV (English Standard Version) and the NASB (New American Standard Bible). The King James Version (KJV) is not wrong, but the antiquated language makes it hard to get correct understandings in places. Which is why there's a New King James Version (NKJV), but even that is not a big improvement.

Grace and peace.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

thomasdixon wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:38 pm ...
How about you?
I think KJV and WEB are more accurate than most. ERV is probably the least accurate.

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

I like all translations. I collect Bible translations and have over 100 translations now. Each has their own strength and weaknesses and people should not just rely on a single translation.

It's unfortunate evangelical Christians don't even read the deuterocanonical books. Sure, they are not canonical books. But does that stop people from reading any book in general?

Diagoras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to otseng in post #5]

Any interest in pseudepigrapha? Admittedly, outside of a museum you'd have to rely on internet translations of sometimes dubious provenance, but there are numerous very interesting historical and religious perspectives there. I've recently learned about the existence of the Gnostic text, 'Pistis Sophia', for example, and that's certainly something that many Christians wouldn't be familiar with, as this Brittania article about the Apocrypha states:

Brittania wrote:Heretical movements such as Gnosticism and Montanism spawned a great body of New Testament pseudepigrapha. The existence of such purported scriptures lent great impetus to the process of canonization in the young and orthodox Christian Church.

Source: https://www.britannica.com/topic/apocrypha

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:29 pm Any interest in pseudepigrapha?
Yes, I would be. For UBA, I've created the DEUTC Bible that contains several. If there are collections of PDF files, I might even create a separate repo for it.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #8

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 2:41 pm .

My favorite Bible is the Easy-to-Read Version (ERV). As a whole it's far easier to comprehend than any of the others, including the KJV.

Galatians 2:20
(Paul speaking)

KJV
I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

ERV
So I am not the one living now—it is Christ living in me. I still live in my body, but I live by faith in the Son of God. He is the one who loved me and gave himself to save me.

Saved you from what? Are you going to die (Jeremiah 31:30), have all your sins been forgiven, and been healed, and you have been able to stop going to the doctor? I think your faith is in the gospel of Grace/cross, the false gospel of the false prophet Paul. Yeshua's message was the message of the kingdom of God, in which is the day of the Lord, the judgment of God, whereas no man would have survived less God cut the time short. I think you are in for a rude awakening. The guys that will rule during the millennium will be those who have had their heads cut off, and have not taken on the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4). The ruling doctrine of the "Christian" church, based on the Roman church, is the false doctrine of the Trinity, an ancient pagan belief, which is a mark laid down by the Roman emperor Constantine, the beast with two horns like a lamb.

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Miles wrote: ERV
Saved you from what?
Ah . . . . I'm not speaking here, Paul is. Please read more carefully. Thank you.

Are you going to die
Yup. Just like everyone else.

have all your sins been forgiven, and been healed, and you have been able to stop going to the doctor?
Went to a doctor just yesterday. Diagnosed with a middle ear infection. Drat!

I think your faith is in the gospel of Grace/cross, the false gospel of the false prophet Paul.
I have no faith. An absurd concept only useful in soothing one's fears.

Yeshua's message was the message of the kingdom of God, in which is the day of the Lord, the judgment of God, whereas no man would have survived less God cut the time short. I think you are in for a rude awakening.
At this point I don't see your thoughts as meaning more than bupkis.

The guys that will rule during the millennium will be those who have had their heads cut off, and have not taken on the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4).
WOW! REALLY? And I should care because _______________________________________________________ .

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #10

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:45 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Miles wrote: ERV
Saved you from what?
Ah . . . . I'm not speaking here, Paul is. Please read more carefully. Thank you.

Are you going to die
Yup. Just like everyone else.

have all your sins been forgiven, and been healed, and you have been able to stop going to the doctor?
Went to a doctor just yesterday. Diagnosed with a middle ear infection. Drat!

I think your faith is in the gospel of Grace/cross, the false gospel of the false prophet Paul.
I have no faith. An absurd concept only useful in soothing one's fears.

Yeshua's message was the message of the kingdom of God, in which is the day of the Lord, the judgment of God, whereas no man would have survived less God cut the time short. I think you are in for a rude awakening.
At this point I don't see your thoughts as meaning more than bupkis.

The guys that will rule during the millennium will be those who have had their heads cut off, and have not taken on the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4).
WOW! REALLY? And I should care because _______________________________________________________ .

What was Paul saved from? Did he die? Did he suffer a pain in the side from Satan? Did he pay a price for being a sinner of sinners? What was he saved from? As for you dying, Paul said "we shall not all sleep/die. Was Paul lying, or just being a false prophet? Is there a chance you will not die? If Paul lies or makes a false prophecy once, what keeps him from lying again, and again? As for the "millennium, I don't think you have to worry. One has to survive the great tribulation to get there. Very few will survive, and I doubt if the mockers are among the standing. If the grid goes down from a simple solar flair, I doubt if you will make 2 weeks, and certainly not 90 days. If the "great earthquake" comes (Revelation 16:18), you can be sure that the "cities of the nations" will fall. California doesn't seem to be able to weather heat or rain, and the south is without power because of a little rain and wind, and New York is under a crisis from a simple cloud burst. No, I think the "many" are looking at dire consequences for their smugness.