Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

thomasdixon
Apprentice

There are 80 books in the King James Bible

Post #1

Post by thomasdixon »

Personally, I favor the KJV
The Old Testament is the original Hebrew Bible, the sacred scriptures of the Jewish faith, written at different times between about 1200 and 165 BC. The New Testament books were written by Christians in the first century AD.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions ... ible.shtml

Scholars in the first half of the 20th century came to the conclusion that the Yahwist was produced in the monarchic period, specifically at the court of Solomon, 10th century BC, and the Priestly work in the middle of the 5th century BC (the author was even identified as Ezra), but more recent thinking is that the Yahwist was written either just before or during the Babylonian exile of the 6th century BC, and the Priestly final edition was made late in the Exilic period or soon after
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Genesis

There are 80 books in the King James Bible; 39 in the Old Testament, 14 in the Apocrypha, and 27 in the New Testament.
The books in the KJV were written by different people at different times.
The books are not intended to follow a chronological order. You get out of each Book what there is independently from the rest.
At least that is my view of things.
How about you?
:D

Miles
Savant

Re: There are 80 books in the King James Bible

Post #11

Post by Miles »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:15 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:45 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Miles wrote: ERV
So I am not the one living now—it is Christ living in me. I still live in my body, but I live by faith in the Son of God. He is the one who loved me and gave himself to save me.
Saved you from what?
Ah . . . . I'm not speaking here, Paul is. Please read more carefully. Thank you.

Are you going to die
Yup. Just like everyone else.

have all your sins been forgiven, and been healed, and you have been able to stop going to the doctor?
Went to a doctor just yesterday. Diagnosed with a middle ear infection. Drat!

I think your faith is in the gospel of Grace/cross, the false gospel of the false prophet Paul.
I have no faith. An absurd concept only useful in soothing one's fears.

Yeshua's message was the message of the kingdom of God, in which is the day of the Lord, the judgment of God, whereas no man would have survived less God cut the time short. I think you are in for a rude awakening.
At this point I don't see your thoughts as meaning more than bupkis.

The guys that will rule during the millennium will be those who have had their heads cut off, and have not taken on the mark of the beast (Revelation 20:4).
WOW! REALLY? And I should care because _______________________________________________________ .

What was Paul saved from? Did he die? Did he suffer a pain in the side from Satan? Did he pay a price for being a sinner of sinners? What was he saved from? As for you dying, Paul said "we shall not all sleep/die. Was Paul lying, or just being a false prophet? Is there a chance you will not die? If Paul lies or makes a false prophecy once, what keeps him from lying again, and again? As for the "millennium, I don't think you have to worry. One has to survive the great tribulation to get there. Very few will survive, and I doubt if the mockers are among the standing. If the grid goes down from a simple solar flair, I doubt if you will make 2 weeks, and certainly not 90 days. If the "great earthquake" comes (Revelation 16:18), you can be sure that the "cities of the nations" will fall. California doesn't seem to be able to weather heat or rain, and the south is without power because of a little rain and wind, and New York is under a crisis from a simple cloud burst. No, I think the "many" are looking at dire consequences for their smugness.

Have a nice day.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #12

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to otseng in post #7]

You mentioned 'several' - are there particular ones which you consider constructive or thought-provoking?

Diagoras
Guru

Post #13

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to otseng in post #7]

Here's a pdf of the Book of Enoch with comprehensive notes. It's interesting (to me) that there is a Christian denomination (the Ethiopian Orthodox Church) which considers this Hebrew text written in the intertestamental period to be canon.

From here:
the Pew research Centre wrote:Ethiopia has a Christian history that dates to the fourth century <..> when a Christian traveler from Tyre named Frumentius <..> helped spread Christianity in the region.

The Orthodox Church in Ethiopia is part of the “Oriental” branch of the tradition, in communion with five other Oriental Orthodox churches (Egypt, India, Armenia, Syria and Eritrea). One distinguishing factor of Ethiopian Orthodoxy is its usage of practices rooted in Judaism. For example, Orthodox Ethiopians observe the Jewish Sabbath, circumcise their sons at eight days old, and follow Jewish dietary laws. In addition, a text celebrated by Orthodox Ethiopians draws an historical connection to King Solomon of Israel, who is believed to have fathered a son with Queen Makeda of Ethiopia (the Queen of Sheba).
I've not studied the book beyond the most cursory glance through a few passages of interest, but it would certainly be interesting to match up some of the content against the more generally accepted (as canon) biblical books and compare different accounts of things like the Flood, angels, etc.

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by thomasdixon »

There is one thing you will find in common with them all; besides the events them selves you will find a moral theme that permeates them all.
You will find moral values in the KJV of the bible.
You will find moral values in the Torah.
You will find moral values in the Talmud.
You will find moral values in the Quran.
In my view of things, All religious faiths teach moral values.
(:-

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

thomasdixon wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:26 pm There is one thing you will find in common with them all; besides the events them selves you will find a moral theme that permeates them all.
You will find moral values in the KJV of the bible.
You will find moral values in the Torah.
You will find moral values in the Talmud.
You will find moral values in the Quran.
In my view of things, All religious faiths teach moral values.
(:-

I agree it does set up moral values. Moral values such as:

Owning other human beings is moral.

Leviticus 25:44-46
44 “About your men and women slaves: You may get men and women slaves from the other nations around you. 45 Also, you may get children as slaves if they come from the families of the foreigners living in your land. These child slaves will belong to you. 46 You may even pass these foreign slaves on to your children after you die so that they will belong to them. They will be your slaves forever. You may make slaves of these foreigners. But you must not be a cruel master over your own brothers, the Israelites.

Beating slaves as long as they don't die within a day or two is moral:

Exodus 21:20-21
20 “Anyone who beats their male or female slave with a rod must be punished if the slave dies as a direct result, 21 but they are not to be punished if the slave recovers after a day or two, since the slave is their property.

Killing practicing homosexuals is moral.

Leviticus 20:13
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Misogyny is moral

Leviticus 12:1-4
1 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Tell the Israelites:
“When a woman gives birth, she will be unclean, just as she is during her monthly time of bleeding. If the baby is a boy, the mother will be unclean for seven days. 3 The baby boy must be circumcised on the eighth day. 4 Because of the blood from childbirth, another 33 days must pass before she can touch anything that is holy. She must not enter the Holy Place until the time of her purification is finished.

AND

Ephesians 5:22
Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord.

Forcing a woman to marry her rapist is moral

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
28 If a man meets up with a young woman who is a virgin and not engaged, grabs her and has sex with her, and they are caught in the act, 29 the man who had sex with her must give fifty silver shekels to the young woman’s father. She will also become his wife because he has humiliated her. He is never allowed to divorce her.

Killing raped girls who don't call for help is moral

Deuteronomy 22:23-24
23 “A man might meet a virgin girl engaged to another man. He might have sexual relations with her. If this happens in the city, 24 you must bring them both out to the public place near the gate of that city, and you must kill them with stones. You must kill the man, because he used another man’s wife for sexual sin. And you must kill the girl, because she was in the city but did not call for help. You must remove this evil from your people.

And for some, in a very real sense cannibalism is moral

John 6:51-58
51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever. This bread is my body. I will give my body so that the people in the world can have life.”
52 Then the Jews began to argue among themselves. They said, “How can this man give us his body to eat?”
53 Jesus said, “Believe me when I say that you must eat the body of the Son of Man, and you must drink his blood. If you don’t do this, you have no real life. 54 Those who eat my body and drink my blood have eternal life. I will raise them up on the last day. 55 My body is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Those who eat my body and drink my blood live in me, and I live in them.
57 “The Father sent me. He lives, and I live because of him. So everyone who eats me will live because of me. 58 I am not like the bread that your ancestors ate. They ate that bread, but they still died. I am the bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats this bread will live forever.”

Revelations won
Sage

Post #16

Post by Revelations won »

Dear Miles,

You brought up several interesting points. I am curiously awaiting answers from prominent posters to see if any of them can give answers to your points? So far there appears to be a thundering silence.....

Best regards,

RW