Christian Salvation?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

POI
Prodigy

Christian Salvation?

Post #1

Post by POI »

According to the Bible, what minimum qualifications are required for Christian Heavenly salvation?

- Does a stillborn baby receive a free pass?
- Do all deceased children receive a free pass, prior to the age of enlightenment?
- Is it mandatory to believe, worship, and also attempt to follow Hm; while still knowing you will fall short of perfection in your attempts?
- Is some sort of baptism a requirement for salvation?
- Can you lack conviction that God even exists, but still be selected by your judged upon works?
- Must you keep specific Commandments all the time?
- Does blasphemy of the Holy Spirit guarantee damnation, regardless of later repentance of this prior deemed offense (i.e.) the born again Christians might be screwed?
- Are earnest deathbed conversions, by way of belief and repent to the Christian God, enough?
- Must you love God more than you love anyone on earth?
- Can you be a devout believer/follower, but choose not to give away the majority of your wealth to ones more in need than you?
- Can you be saved if you practice monogamous homosexuality until death?
Last edited by POI on Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Christian Salvation?

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:22 am According to the Bible, what minimum qualifications are required for Christian Heavenly salvation?

1 Does a stillborn baby receive a free pass?
2 Do all deceased children receive a free pass, prior to the age of enlightenment?
3 Is it mandatory to believe, worship, and also attempt to follow Hm; while still knowing you will fall short of perfection in your attempts?
4 Is some sort of baptism a requirement for salvation?
5 Can you lack conviction that God even exists, but still be selected by your judged upon works?
6 Must you keep specific Commandments all the time?
7 Does blasphemy of the Holy Spirit guarantee damnation, regardless of later repentance of this prior deemed offense (i.e.) the born again Christians might be screwed?
8 Are earnest deathbed conversions, by way of belief and repent to the Christian God, enough?
9 Must you love God more than you love anyone on earth?
10 Can you be a devout believer/follower, but choose not to give away the majority of your wealth to ones more in need than you?
11 Can you be saved if you practice monogamous homosexuality until death?
From what I was always told and taught:
1 Yes (but really, what religion wants to be known as loving and condemning unborn babies so that's a no brainer)
2 Yes (see above reasoning)
3 Yes - no one is perfect
4 Yes and no (depends on the the teachings of the denomination)
5 Yes see reasoning from #3 here
6 Yes as best you can but ask forgiveness when you break one. Or two. Or ten
7 Yes though that never made much sense to me
8 Yes, which doesn't seem fair; Jeffery Dahmer is in (or will be going to, depending on your belief) heaven. Seems reasonable :?:
9 Yes, God is a jealous god (jealous of what? Seems he has self doubt and a complex. Maybe there are gods out there better than him? Or he's a weakling that can't compete with $?)
10 Yes, which is a good thing for those wealthy christians I suspect
11 No. God no! No gays in heaven! What's wrong with you thinking they're good enough to get into eternal bliss? Surely God cares about what you and another consenting adult does with your 'parts'. I guess love isn't always the right kind of love for God
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #3

Post by TRANSPONDER »

We know what this is about - politics ...or rather, Dogma PR. The dogma is that we are all sinners from birth. Logically, sinners before birth, if (as Dogma also claims) we are Persons before birth.

That means if we die without accepting Christ as our Lord and savior, we go to hell. That is the doctrine just as we have with animals - they don't go to heaven.

But people didn't like it that babies and the unborn got sent to Hell because of original sin and they would have no idea why. I suppose they juggled with trying to apply retrospective salvation with some mumbo -jumbo but it stank and the Church knew it did. So they had to invent some new Dogma, so as to not look bad.

I won't say more because frankly it puts me off my supper - the loathesomeness of the doctrine of Original Sin and the cynical hypocrisy of fiddling the Dogma so as to get around it.

POI
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by POI »

I'm really wondering what position the believers ascribe to, in relation to the OP?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #3]
That is the doctrine just as we have with animals - they don't go to heaven.
Any religion that believes this is worthless, IMO.
A deity would rather have a flawed creature like a human around it than a relatively perfect creature like dog, horse, bird or what-have-you?!?
But people didn't like it that babies and the unborn got sent to Hell because of original sin and they would have no idea why. I suppose they juggled with trying to apply retrospective salvation with some mumbo -jumbo but it stank and the Church knew it did. So they had to invent some new Dogma, so as to not look bad.
Pretty much. It wasn't perfect, but close enough to be believable to those they needed money from and wanted to control.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:22 am According to the Bible, what minimum qualifications are required for Christian Heavenly salvation?...
Firstly, by what I have understood salvation means that one is saved from the judgment that is death. If person does sin, according to the Bible, he deserves death.

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

No one can do anything to make something undone. Only way out from the judgment that would come because of sin, is that God forgives the sin. And God offers that freely. Nothing required. However, Bible also tells eternal life is for righteous and righteous is basically the opposite of sinful. So, if you have sin, you can have it forgiven, but to get the eternal life, you should become righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

…He who does righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has been sinning from the beginning. To this end the Son of God was revealed, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whoever is born of God doesn't commit sin, because his seed remains in him; and he can't sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are revealed, and the children of the devil. Whoever doesn't do righteousness is not of God, neither is he who doesn't love his brother.
1 John 3:7-10

As Bible tells, eternal life is a gift for righteous. That I think is the reason why Jesus said after he forgave:

"Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

If person is not righteous, there must happen change in person so that he becomes righteous. And that is why I believe Jesus said:

…"Most assuredly, I tell you, unless one is born anew, he can't see the Kingdom of God." Nicodemus said to him, "How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb, and be born?" Jesus answered, "Most assuredly I tell you, unless one is born of water and spirit, he can't enter into the Kingdom of God! That which is born of the flesh is flesh. That which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Don't marvel that I said to you, 'You must be born anew.'
John 3:3-7

That change can happen by the words Jesus declared. They can make person to be born anew as a righteous person.

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

However, I believe person who has not yet heard of Jesus can be counted righteous by this:

…as many as have sinned without law will also perish without the law. As many as have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. For it isn't the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law will be justified (for when Gentiles who don't have the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience testifying with them, and their thoughts among themselves accusing or else excusing them) in the day when God will judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ.
Romans 2:12-16

So, salvation means sins are forgiven. It gives a new start, but after that, if you continue in sin, the new start was not useful, because you have earned a new wage of sin. Forgiveness is not useful, if one continues in sin. Forgiveness is useful only if person also rejects sin and doesn’t continue in it.

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:11 pm However, I believe person who has not yet heard of Jesus can be counted righteous
Wouldn't it then be most logical not to proselytize the Word of God to anyone? Think about it... Many go on mission trips to spread the Word of Jesus. If you were to leave some remote nations completely unaware and oblivious to Jesus, then based upon your account, they all go to Heaven. Alternatively, if missionaries go there, and introduce Christianity to them, many may now go to hell. Why? Some will not believe what has been presented. Some will not follow. And all will still sin. Seems like a very poor business model to me. How about you?

Or how about if you want the best for your own child? According to your belief, if you wish to guarantee your child's salvation, seems as though it would be much more altruistic to dispatch your child at birth. This way, they are guaranteed to be chosen by God. Right? Sure, you have now committed a killing, for which you could plea with God it was not a murder, but instead an act of altruism... Moving forward, you can then ask for earnest forgiveness either way, and then become 'righteous' there-after. But wait? See below......
1213 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:11 pmSo, salvation means sins are forgiven. It gives a new start, but after that, if you continue in sin, the new start was not useful, because you have earned a new wage of sin. Forgiveness is not useful, if one continues in sin. Forgiveness is useful only if person also rejects sin and doesn’t continue in it.
But wait, even the Bible states everyone sins, no matter what.

Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one

Care to redefine what it means to be "righteous"?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Post by JehovahsWitness »

POI wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:22 am According to the Bible, what minimum qualifications are required for Christian Heavenly salvation?
To be a spirit begotten, born again Christian.

JOHN 3:5 - Berean Literal Bible

Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless anyone be born of water and of the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the kingdom of God.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

FURTHER READING What is God's Kingdom?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... s-kingdom/

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , BORN AGAIN and ... THE 144, 000
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

POI
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:33 am
To be a spirit begotten, born again Christian.

JOHN 3:5 - Berean Literal Bible

Jesus answered, "Truly, truly, I say to you, unless anyone be born of water and of the Spirit, he is not able to enter into the kingdom of God.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

FURTHER READING What is God's Kingdom?
https://www.jw.org/en/publications/book ... s-kingdom/

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE MILLENIUM
Sounds like you are asserting that one must be 'born again and baptized properly"? Can you please elaborate a bit, as I'm sure many Christians might give differing answers here. In your words, what does the provided passage mean exactly?

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:46 pm ... Many go on mission trips to spread the Word of Jesus. If you were to leave some remote nations completely unaware and oblivious to Jesus, then based upon your account, they all go to Heaven...
I didn't mean that all unaware people are righteous. I meant, it may be that there are people that can be counted righteous. If so, I think they would gladly receive the good news.
POI wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:46 pmOr how about if you want the best for your own child? According to your belief, if you wish to guarantee your child's salvation, seems as though it would be much more altruistic to dispatch your child at birth. This way, they are guaranteed to be chosen by God. Right? Sure, you have now committed a killing, for which you could plea with God it was not a murder, but instead an act of altruism... Moving forward, you can then ask for earnest forgiveness either way, and then become 'righteous' there-after. But wait? See below......
How would killing the child make sure he is righteous? It could be that the child then would not have chance to become righteous.
POI wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:46 pm...But wait, even the Bible states everyone sins, no matter what.

Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins

As it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one

Care to redefine what it means to be "righteous"?
Bible tells about righteous:

But the righteous will live by faith. If he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him.
Hebrews 10:38

Righteous person is faithful/loyal to God. And if person remains loyal to God, he lives. That is why I think sin is to reject God, or to be separated from God. i believe there are people that are righteous, loyal to God. Still, even righteous person may make mistakes, but if he doesn't reject God, he has no sin.

For a righteous man falls seven times, and rises up again; But the wicked are overthrown by calamity.
Pro. 24:16