The 144,000 in JW theology

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

The 144,000 in JW theology

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

My understanding only 144,000 JWs go to heaven in total over the sum of human history.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/q ... to-heaven/

Is that correct?

There are 9 million JWs worldwide (rounded up).

https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... w-many-jw/

Will the vast majority of them not go to heaven and be annihilated? What happens to the JWs that don't make the 144, 000?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Re: The 144,000 in JW theology

Post #51

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm That is an interesting difference: in Christendom all think they are born again and adopted to be kings and priests ... we don't.
Yes, I know. That's unfortunate.
Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:22 pm We are not so conceited...
Well, we are (or should be anyway) quite filled with humility, amazed at the mercy and compassion we've been given, even though deserving quite the opposite.

The rest I could comment on but will just, you know, let go because of its... misguidedness.

Grace and peace to you, Eloi.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Eloi »

Oh, no ... it is realistic. We do not invent the rules 🤓.

Actually, when we understood the differences of both hopes, thousands of Jehovah's Witnesses were very happy, since living as spirits is not something in the heart of everyone ... There are so many wonderful things on earth to enjoy!!! That was what Jehovah created the earth for in the first place.

In Christendom you just fantazise a lot ... too much wishful thinking and do not even understand the biblical truths ... neither want to. To be teachers you must be students first 8-) (Matt. 28:19,20).

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #53

Post by myth-one.com »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:32 pm In Christendom you just fantazise a lot ... too much wishful thinking and do not even understand the biblical truths ... neither want to. To be teachers you must be students first 8-) (Matt. 28:19,20).
I agree. People who read or even "study" the scriptures, do not do so to discover biblical truths.

They read the scriptures seeking support for what they have been taught as the truth.

When they cannot find that support, they simply provide their own interpretation.

Long ago and far away, the final source of truth in this thread was the scriptures.

If the scripture stated that the wages of sin is death, then the wages of sin is death.
=======================================================

Now there are those that "agree" that the wages of sin is death, where death clearly means eternal existence in torment.

But when one asks them what the wages of sin is -- they say "death."

It is better for them to be "right", even at the expense of their religion.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #54

Post by Diagoras »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:44 pm People who read or even "study" the scriptures, do not do so to discover biblical truths.

They read the scriptures seeking support for what they have been taught as the truth.

When they cannot find that support, they simply provide their own interpretation.
There's certainly ample evidence for that view.

2timothy316 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:53 am The 144,000 is a number found nowhere else in the Bible other than Revelation. It refers to only one group of people. These things are true. I have read tons of subjects on the 144,000 number. Jehovah's Witnesses are the only ones that have made any sense of that number.
PinSeeker wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:59 am One thousand is a number used throughout the Bible to symbolize completeness/fullness. The number twelve, is, also, in the case of the tribes of Israel, and later the twelve disciples and the twelve apostles. <..> As for the 144,000 in Revelation 7, what should be seen is not a hard and fast number of 144,000, but rather 12 times 12 times 1000 <..>, which is also a number of completeness used in the Bible, actually a complete completeness ~ so a metaphor of reality, a complete, complete, completeness, which sounds repetitive and is and purposely so.
2timothy316 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:14 pm I'm not sure that the 1000 multiplier has some hidden meaning when it comes to the 144,000. The only thing that seems logical to me is that if these 144,000 are to be kings and priests over the earth as it says in Revelation 5:9, 10.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:28 pmJehovah's witnesses believe that in the case of the 144,000 mentioned in Revelation, it is to be taken literally. If that literal number also reminds us of completeness in a biblical sense, that just adds an interesting dimension to things.
PinSeeker wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:15 am Ah! The millennium. There are several different views/understandings of what that "thousand years" is, Eloi, you know that. I do not agree (although not a total disagreement) with the pre-tribulation, pre-millennialist group of which you are a part. I do not agree with the post-millennial view, either, although my understanding and theirs are a bit closer together. And I do not agree with the preterist camp, either, although, again, there are some things we would agree on. Yes, I believe the "thousand years" to be representative of the time in which God's people on earth are "troubled"...
PinSeeker wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:16 pm All Christians will reign with Christ in the new heaven and new earth, which will finally be one.
It might be interesting to hear from some Mormons, Skoptzists or Muslims on this numerical subject?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/144,000

Not to exclude anyone who follows Judaism, of course. They seem to be a bit more flexible and inclusive when it comes to the afterlife (in any of its supposed forms):

https://reformjudaism.org/beliefs-pract ... -afterlife

Get ready for your heaven to look a little different from what you expect – is what I’m getting at. I don’t see any one ‘side’ having definitive answers here.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #55

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:02 pm I don’t see any one ‘side’ having definitive answers here.
Fair enough; of course that means you are in no position to say definitively which interpretation is true, including your own (if you have one). I cannot therefore see how you can imply that Jehovahs Witnesses are in error.

I am convinced what Jehovahs Witnesses believe is true because only they (in my personal opinion) have a clear understanding of why people go to heaven. Once the reason becomes clear, the understanding of the number becomes clear. Nobody else has been able to explain to me, in a clear, simple and biblically sound way "what people called to heaven to do?" which is why imho the only way their "everbody goes to heaven" position is tenable.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE MILLENIUM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #56

Post by myth-one.com »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 pm I am convinced what Jehovahs Witnesses believe is true because only they (in my personal opinion) have a clear understanding of why people go to heaven. Once the reason becomes clear, the understanding of the number becomes clear. Nobody else has been able to explain to me, in a clear, simple and biblically sound way "what people called to heaven to do?"
Where do the scriptures state that people go to heaven?

The scriptures state that flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God.
And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God;... (I Corinthians 15:49-50)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #57

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:31 pm

The scriptures state that flesh and blood cannot inherit the Kingdom of God.
And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God;... (I Corinthians 15:49-50)
Did I say "flesh and blood" people inherit the kingdom ?

RELATED POSTS

Is the promise of heavenly life held out to some people a bible teaching?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 52#p901552
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 75#p901575 (onewithhim)

What did Jesus mean when he refered to "his Father's house"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 89#p969189
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Diogenes
Guru

Post #58

Post by Diogenes »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:20 pm I am convinced what Jehovahs Witnesses believe is true because only they (in my personal opinion) have a clear understanding of why people go to heaven. Once the reason becomes clear, the understanding of the number becomes clear. Nobody else has been able to explain to me, in a clear, simple and biblically sound way "what people called to heaven to do?" which is why imho the only way their "everbody goes to heaven" position is tenable.
What is your Biblical basis for believing the JW position is accurate, that only 'THEY' have a clear understanding of "what people called to heaven to." I'm not sure what you meant by that. What is your understanding of which people are called to heaven? Or why? Or did you mean "What they are to do there?" Perhaps my English is deficient, but I did not understand what you meant to say, let alone your support for it.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #59

Diogenes wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm
What is your Biblical basis for believing the JW position is accurate, that only 'THEY' have a clear understanding of "what people called to heaven to." I'm not sure what you meant by that.
Emphasis MINE

If you dont know what I mean, why are you asking for a biblical basis for what I mean?

To clarify, I mean that when Jehovahs Witnesses explained to me how they understood the scriptures, I was (and remain) personally convinced that their explanation was biblically accurate.

I dont need to show any scriptures to prove I really had the above experience.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #60

Diogenes wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:41 pm What is your understanding of which people are called to heaven?
"Which people", as in "who"? Are you asking me "Who are called to heaven"?

WHO GO TO HEAVEN?

Biblically only "born again" (spirit anointed) baptised Christians are called to heaven. ie only those chosen by God and invited by Christ have that privelege. Revelation indicates the 12 faithful Apostles were the first to receive such an invitation and scriptures indicate the invitation subsequently went out to all first century Christians thereafter (Rev 21:14 , 1 Pet 2:9). Biblically, only God and Jesus can name them all.

JW

RELATED POSTS

How many of the 144,000 are presently left to be selected?
viewtopic.php?p=1021864#p1021864
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HEAVEN , THE 144, 000 and ... THE MILLENIUM
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.