1 Corinthians 15:3-5, Can it be considered a Creed

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zerilos
Student

1 Corinthians 15:3-5, Can it be considered a Creed

Post #1

Post by Zerilos »

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.
It is often argued that these verses are evidence of an established statement of beliefs of the very early church; however, it doesn't read anything like any other creed we read elsewhere. Obviously, the "creed" who start following the "that" which follows the [a], as a creed wouldn't include a description of what Paul say he was told by others.

This creed contains scant amount of the theological declarations of what later was confirmed to be Christian orthodoxy. As a few examples, it doesn't include the following:
  • 1. The name of Jesus isn't mentioned. Odd as the authors of the creed would have known him by that name.
    2. There is no mention of Christ being a "God".
    3. There is no mention of the "Holy Spirit"
    4. The is no mention that the Christ ascended to heaven.
    5. While it may be inferred from the reference to "Scriptures"; there is, none-the-less, no mention of a God of any variety.
    6. No mention of the fact that Jesus was killed
    7. No mention of a bodily resurrection
I cannot see how the verses could possibly be considered a creed.

Miles
Savant

Re: 1 Corinthians 15:3-5, Can it be considered a Creed

Post #2

Post by Miles »

In as much as a creed, by definition, is simply

creed

/krēd/
noun: creed; plural noun: creeds

a system of Christian or other religious belief; a faith.
"people of many creeds and cultures" .
Source: Oxford Languages

OR

"A creed, also known as a confession of faith, symbol, or statement of faith, is a statement of the shared beliefs of (an often religious) community in a form structured by subjects summarizing core tenets."
Source: Wikipedia

just about any set of beliefs, regardless of their nature, can be deemed a creed, and certainly wouldn't need to abide by any of the seven criteria you cite.

Zerilos
Student

Post #3

Post by Zerilos »

Miles wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm . just about any set of beliefs, regardless of their nature, can be deemed a creed, and certainly wouldn't need to abide by any of the seven criteria you cite..
They weren't criteria as much as they were glaring omissions. This "creed" apparently assumed that his audience knew everything that was left out. However, given the significant disagreements that plagued the church up until the Nicaean Creed, it cannot be assumed that anything was accepted as canon in the 1st century. In fact, Paul spent much of his time explaining to his communities just how much they had gotten wrong since his last visit.

This is the reason, that I believe, it was not intended as an established creed of the church. So much is left out, that the creed could apply to a vast array of conflicting theologies.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Zerilos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:53 pm
Forgot to ask if they're actually considered to be a creed. If so, by whom?

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

3 For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance[a]: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that he appeared to Cephas, and then to the Twelve.
I think that can be called also a creed. But, obviously it has not much said. I think this would be better creed:

...there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

Zerilos
Student

Post #6

Post by Zerilos »

Miles wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:42 pm Forgot to ask if they're actually considered to be a creed. If so, by whom?

Many apologists. William Lane Craig for instance.

historia
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by historia »

Zerilos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:28 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:42 pm
Forgot to ask if they're actually considered to be a creed. If so, by whom?
Many apologists. William Lane Craig for instance.
But also critics of Christianity, like Richard Carrier. As well as numerous scholars, showing that this is a widely held conclusion.
They express a community's beliefs in a short, formulaic way. That's generally what we mean by a "creed."
Zerilos wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:17 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:48 pm
just about any set of beliefs, regardless of their nature, can be deemed a creed, and certainly wouldn't need to abide by any of the seven criteria you cite.
They weren't criteria as much as they were glaring omissions.
If they're not criteria, then their absence does not indicate that this is not a creed.

Which leaves me wondering what, exactly, is your argument here? That this creed is not identical to later creeds? Why should it be?