Fudging The Evidence

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Fudging The Evidence

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:04 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 am
DrNoGods wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #81]

Surely the whole story is allegorical and not meant to be literal fact.

WAS THE FLOOD ACCOUNT MERE ALLEGORY?

Opinions differ on this question but in my opinon the biblical account is very much presented as a literal factual event. Rather than present Noah and his family in vague mystical terms, Noahs lineage and decendants are specifically listed. Although his location is not presented, the events are documented within a specific timeframe, logging months and years to that effect. The record includes where and in what mannet the vessel came aground and more importantly for Christians, Jesus refered to the account in speaking of prophecy involving future real word events, indicating he believed it an actual historical event.

The universiality flood myths can also be seen as indicative that there was indeed some kind of global event that impacted mankinds historical "memory".

CONCLUSION : As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe that the authour is not presenting allegory but rather was recording a real historical event.

RELATED POSTS

How does one determine what is or is not literal?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p890395

Are Jehovah's Witnesses "biblical listeralists"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 28#p868428

Was the biblical flood story mere allegory?[this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1048372#p1048372
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY , KILLING and ... BIBLICAL LITERALISM

And yet you try to pass off the guarantee uttered by Jesus that a prayer made with faith even as small as a mustard -seed (apparently the Disciples had less even than that) will enable one to relocate real -estate for land -reclamation as 'metaphor' (quote) and yet you want to present the Flood - nonsense as fact, with God faking the world up afterwards to look like it never happened (unless one denies the science). And you even seem to regard Job as factual and I'm pretty sure it's regarded more as a polemic poem.

William
Savant

Re: Fudging The Evidence

Post #11

Post by William »

PinSeeker wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:20 pm
William wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 pm No matter what beliefs we use to attempt to shield us from that knowledge, not wanting to know what the evidence shows us, just to keep the static-beliefs we have invested in, is not the best way in which to pursue knowledge, or to show oneself as being 'knowledgeable'.
Right back atcha, William.

Grace and peace to you.
In The Flow of Increasing Knowledge, Pinseeker.

Curiosity and Intelligence to you...

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by PinSeeker »

William wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:44 pm Curiosity and Intelligence to you...
Again, right back atcha, my friend.

Grace and peace to you.

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #14

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

William wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:04 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 am
DrNoGods wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #81]

Surely the whole story is allegorical and not meant to be literal fact.

WAS THE FLOOD ACCOUNT MERE ALLEGORY?

Opinions differ on this question but in my opinon the biblical account is very much presented as a literal factual event. Rather than present Noah and his family in vague mystical terms, Noahs lineage and decendants are specifically listed. Although his location is not presented, the events are documented within a specific timeframe, logging months and years to that effect. The record includes where and in what mannet the vessel came aground and more importantly for Christians, Jesus refered to the account in speaking of prophecy involving future real word events, indicating he believed it an actual historical event.

The universiality flood myths can also be seen as indicative that there was indeed some kind of global event that impacted mankinds historical "memory".

CONCLUSION : As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe that the authour is not presenting allegory but rather was recording a real historical event.

RELATED POSTS

How does one determine what is or is not literal?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p890395

Are Jehovah's Witnesses "biblical listeralists"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 28#p868428

Was the biblical flood story mere allegory?[this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1048372#p1048372
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY , KILLING and ... BIBLICAL LITERALISM

And yet you try to pass off the guarantee uttered by Jesus that a prayer made with faith even as small as a mustard -seed (apparently the Disciples had less even than that) will enable one to relocate real -estate for land -reclamation as 'metaphor' (quote) and yet you want to present the Flood - nonsense as fact, with God faking the world up afterwards to look like it never happened (unless one denies the science). And you even seem to regard Job as factual and I'm pretty sure it's regarded more as a polemic poem.

The flood story is a part of most cultures, and evidence of floods permeates the geologic record. As for the effectiveness of "prayer", apparently, God does not listen to the prayers of the wicked/lawless, which would pretty much eliminate most prayers from reaching his notice. As for your prayers going unnoticed, I think the answer should be obvious.

William
Savant

Post #15

Post by William »

I see that the Christians contributing opinion to this thread, appear to be focused upon the flood part of the OPQ and ignore the dinosaur part altogether.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Eloi »

And again, as seems to be the custom with many, this topic begins with a false premise: that God hid evidence of the Flood. There is as much evidence of the Flood as evidence some scientists believe that they have about some kind of ice age and the melting of the ice. What is that but a flood? They just have to reinterpret the facts.

Or does anyone believe that God has to sign everything He does so that they can be sure that it was He who did it? Actually, he has signed many events and yet they do not pay the slightest attention to it. For example, the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah with fire and brimstone, or the destruction of the capital of the Babylonian empire, or the destruction of Jerusalem and its temple in AD 70 ...

Rom. 1:18 For God’s wrath is being revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who are suppressing the truth in an unrighteous way, 19 because what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them. 20 For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship, so that they are inexcusable. 21 For although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their senseless hearts became darkened. 22 Although claiming they were wise, they became foolish ...

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:22 pm There is as much evidence of the Flood as evidence some scientists believe that they have about some kind of ice age and the melting of the ice.
Then feel free to present this evidence of the Flood that you claim is so abundant.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]

You already have some in a past post (post #14).
What did you do with that info?

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

Eloi wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:32 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #2]

You already have some in a past post (post #14).
What did you do with that info?
I must have missed it. Feel free to present what you think that post provided as evidence of the Flood.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

POI
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm
William wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?
The evidence of the flood is not hidden. It is all over the world:
1. Modern continents, the result of collapsed and broken original continent.
2. Marine fossils on high mountain areas.
3. Oil and gas fields, the result of vast amount of drowned organic material.
4. Old coast lines on high areas.
5. Glaciers, the result of cooling that was caused by the flood (heavy rain that lasted many days.
6. Stories about great flood all over the world, in different nations.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/r.berg/geology.html
I have some honest questions for you, prior to offering rebuttal to such points. Have you even looked up any of the counter arguments to these given points? If so, why do these counter arguments fail for you?

If you have not looked up any of the counter arguments, for your given points, I additionally have to ask... Do you merely drawl your conclusions, for a literal flood, from pseudoscience?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."