Fudging The Evidence

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Fudging The Evidence

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?

TRANSPONDER wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:04 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:58 am
DrNoGods wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #81]

Surely the whole story is allegorical and not meant to be literal fact.

WAS THE FLOOD ACCOUNT MERE ALLEGORY?

Opinions differ on this question but in my opinon the biblical account is very much presented as a literal factual event. Rather than present Noah and his family in vague mystical terms, Noahs lineage and decendants are specifically listed. Although his location is not presented, the events are documented within a specific timeframe, logging months and years to that effect. The record includes where and in what mannet the vessel came aground and more importantly for Christians, Jesus refered to the account in speaking of prophecy involving future real word events, indicating he believed it an actual historical event.

The universiality flood myths can also be seen as indicative that there was indeed some kind of global event that impacted mankinds historical "memory".

CONCLUSION : As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe that the authour is not presenting allegory but rather was recording a real historical event.

RELATED POSTS

How does one determine what is or is not literal?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 95#p890395

Are Jehovah's Witnesses "biblical listeralists"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 28#p868428

Was the biblical flood story mere allegory?[this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1048372#p1048372
To learn more please go to other posts related to ...

THE FLOOD OF NOAH'S DAY , KILLING and ... BIBLICAL LITERALISM

And yet you try to pass off the guarantee uttered by Jesus that a prayer made with faith even as small as a mustard -seed (apparently the Disciples had less even than that) will enable one to relocate real -estate for land -reclamation as 'metaphor' (quote) and yet you want to present the Flood - nonsense as fact, with God faking the world up afterwards to look like it never happened (unless one denies the science). And you even seem to regard Job as factual and I'm pretty sure it's regarded more as a polemic poem.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Fudging The Evidence

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

I don't believe God hid the evidence for the flood. The evidence we have is probably all we that was ever there including but not exclusive to, the written record of its occurance as presented in the bible.

JW

For further reading please go to other posts related to...

LOGIC , EVIDENCE and ... FAITH
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

William wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm ... you want to present the Flood [...] as fact, with God faking the world up afterwards to look like it never happened ...
I am not sure (unless you are employing mind reading capacities)you are in a position to tell me what I "want", you can however challenge what I have written.

• At no point did I present the flood as fact, I expressed my belief it was a historical factually accurate account.
  • I have never said I think God was "faking the world up afterwards to look like it never happened" or that I believe he removed evidence of its occurance.

With the above clarified, please proceed.

JW

NOTE All posts I write represent my personal faith based beliefs as one of Jehovah's Witnesses
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

William wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?
I challenge you to present verifiable, scientifically peer reviewed proof God did any of the above.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

Savant

Post #5

Post by 1213 »

William wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:28 pm Q: Why did The Creator hide the evidence for The Flood while revealing the evidence for The Dinosaurs?
The evidence of the flood is not hidden. It is all over the world:
1. Modern continents, the result of collapsed and broken original continent.
2. Marine fossils on high mountain areas.
3. Oil and gas fields, the result of vast amount of drowned organic material.
4. Old coast lines on high areas.
5. Glaciers, the result of cooling that was caused by the flood (heavy rain that lasted many days.
6. Stories about great flood all over the world, in different nations.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/r.berg/geology.html

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

1213 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:20 pm
The evidence of the flood is not hidden. It is all over the world:
1. Modern continents, the result of collapsed and broken original continent.
3. Oil and gas fields, the result of vast amount of drowned organic material.
4. Old coast lines on high areas.
5. Glaciers, the result of cooling that was caused by the flood (heavy rain that lasted many days.
6. Stories about great flood all over the world, in different nations.

http://www.kolumbus.fi/r.berg/geology.html
Please - can you explain to us why;

should be considered to being evidence that The Flood [biblical] actually happened.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

William wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:29 pm ...

should be considered to being evidence that The Flood [biblical] actually happened.
It means those areas were at some point covered with water as the flood story suggests.

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:39 am
William wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:29 pm ...

It means those areas were at some point covered with water as the flood story suggests.
Is that all it could mean?

It could be that the flood stories were created in order to explain why those marine fossils ended up in mountain areas, because those who invented the stories could not imagine that said areas used to be at the bottom of the sea, which explains the 'at some point those areas were covered with water'.

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

Re: "Oil and gas fields, the result of vast amount of drowned organic material", that is very loose speculation.

We know that there was at least one extinction event [and we know there were dinosaurs because no god has hidden that from us] we also know that over millions of years where the sticky goo of biodegradation will naturally fall through the cracks [through gravity] and pool underground is far better evidence than speculating "a vast amount of drowned organic material did it."

What we know, we cannot 'unknow',

No matter what beliefs we use to attempt to shield us from that knowledge, not wanting to know what the evidence shows us, just to keep the static-beliefs we have invested in, is not the best way in which to pursue knowledge, or to show oneself as being 'knowledgeable'.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by PinSeeker »

William wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:51 pm No matter what beliefs we use to attempt to shield us from that knowledge, not wanting to know what the evidence shows us, just to keep the static-beliefs we have invested in, is not the best way in which to pursue knowledge, or to show oneself as being 'knowledgeable'.
Right back atcha, William.

Grace and peace to you.