Are we in Hell Right Now?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Are we in Hell Right Now?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for Debate: Is this Hell? Do people in Hell know they're in Hell?

Miles
Savant

Re: Are we in Hell Right Now?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 pm Question for Debate: Is this Hell? Do people in Hell know they're in Hell?

They do. They do, because they lose all their clothes and their toes turn crispy.

................................................ Image

Last edited by Miles on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:56 pm Question for Debate: Is this Hell? Do people in Hell know they're in Hell?
Hell is supposedly some very unpleasant afterlife experience. Is this an afterlife? Obviously not. This is not hell unless you are referring to some metaphor for hell which isn't actually hell. In that case, sure, anything could be described as hell. However, not a real one of course.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #4

Post by Dimmesdale »

Pain versus misery perhaps?

Pain is here and now - OUCH!

Misery - that can be more of a slog, through the vagaries of time. More like boredom than anything else.

Perhaps we pick our own hells.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

There are probably as many descriptions of hell as people that believe i it. What do you mean by hell? If you mean are we dead ? And is our immortal soul being tortured in punishment for our sins while we were alive? No, I dont believe so. Mostly because I believe death is when one ceases to exist in any form and thus it would be impossible to cause a dead person any kind of pain or anguish.
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

BIBLE "HELL", THE CONDITION OF THE DEAD and ...HELLFIRE TORTURE DEBUNKED
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

By what i know, our body and soul are not yet destroyed, therefore I don’t think this is the hell.

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. …
Matt. 10:28

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:37 amThere are probably as many descriptions of hell as people that believe in it. What do you mean by hell? If you mean are we dead ? And is our immortal soul being tortured in punishment for our sins while we were alive? No, I don't believe so. Mostly because I believe death is when one ceases to exist in any form and thus it would be impossible to cause a dead person any kind of pain or anguish.
That's at least a good answer. I'm always glad when someone believes something because they think it's true and not because it brings them some sort of comfort, which must be the case if a religious person thinks it's possible to be atheist dead (annihilated).

In order to get the most broad stroke on Hell, specifically because of what you mention, would probably be something on the order of are we dead, are we those who failed, are we those who are being punished?

I'm not sure it would be simple physical pain. You'd get used to it. God would have to get creative to have a place of real, genuine, constant suffering. This is what bothers me about many cartoonish descriptions of Hell. Most of what they show wouldn't bother me if I knew I was already dead. One description in a silly Adult Swim show included people having their faces placed in toilets for others to urinate and defecate on. Yes, that's awful, but why is it awful? Because we can get a disease and we can die; that's why we get grossed out. If we're already dead what are the stakes? God would have to be far more creative than writers who can simply come up with something we think is horrible, and I would say this includes people who wrote that Hell was being burnt in fire. It strikes me that to really torture people, even if they're already dead and in soul form, they have to think they're not.

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
This is not hell (if by 'hell' you mean the world of the dead). People who are in "hell" are dead (often described as a sleep) and know nothing.

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing.

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, for in Sheol*, where you are going, there is no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom

*Sheol, meaning hades, meaning 'hell' - the world of the dead.

Peace again.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #9

Post by Diagoras »

tam wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 pmThis is not hell (if by 'hell' you mean the world of the dead). People who are in "hell" are dead (often described as a sleep) and know nothing.

For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing.

Whatever you find to do with your hands, do it with all your might, for in Sheol*, where you are going, there is no work or planning or knowledge or wisdom

*Sheol, meaning hades, meaning 'hell' - the world of the dead.
There's a much more detailed article here (with numerous biblical references):

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Sheol

The concept's changed markedly over time.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

tam wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:04 pmFor the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=19314

Boosh. Knowledge can't be known with certainty on this plane.