Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

#5 Jesus on Hell Matthew 25:31-46

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Verse 46 says they will go away to eternal punishment but the righteous to eternal life.

If 'go away to eternal punishment' means annihilation then why presume 'righteous to eternal life' means eternal life?

There are two eternal destinations, hell and heaven being expressed in verse 46.

Isn't it biased to say eternal punishment is not eternal but eternal life is eternal life?

According to those that believe in annihilation and that the Bible doesn't teach hell, why do they interpret the first half of verse 46 as non-literal and the second half as literally?
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: #5 Jesus on Hell Matthew 25:31-46

Post #71

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to Tcg in post #2]
Humans cannot see spirits, so the disciples evidently thought they were seeing an apparition or a vision. (Compare Mark 6:49, 50.) Jesus assured them that he was no apparition; they could see his body of flesh and could touch him, feeling the bones; he also ate in their presence. Similarly, in the past, angels had materialized in order to be seen by men; they had eaten, and some had even married and fathered children. (Gen. 6:4; 19:1-3) Following his resurrection, Jesus did not always appear in the same body of flesh (perhaps to reinforce in their minds the fact that he was then a spirit), and so he was not immediately recognized even by his close associates. (John 20:14, 15; 21:4-7) However, by his repeatedly appearing to them in materialized bodies and then saying and doing things that they would identify with the Jesus they knew, he strengthened their faith in the fact that he truly had been resurrected from the dead.

If the disciples had actually seen Jesus in the body that he now has in heaven, Paul would not later have referred to the glorified Christ as being “the exact representation of [God’s] very being,” because God is a Spirit and has never been in the flesh.—Heb. 1:3; compare 1 Timothy 6:16.

When reading the reports of Jesus’ postresurrection appearances, we are helped to understand them properly if we keep in mind 1 Peter 3:18 and 1 Corinthians 15:45
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101989262

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #72

Post by PinSeeker »

myth-one.com wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:11 pm If in your dead state of existence you know nothing, you might as well be annihilated.
A bit interesting that you say "might as well," but as I have said, "knowing nothing," in the context of Ecclesiastes 9 and of Ecclesiastes as a whole, does not woodenly mean "not being aware of anything" or "not having any knowledge," or "having no cognitive function whatsoever," but rather, no longer having any part in, experience of, or enjoyment of, this life, life under the sun.

The verb translated to "know" in English from the Hebrew in the Old Testament and the Greek in the New Testament very, very often (and Ecclesiastes 9:5 is certainly one of them) does not denote mere brain function, but experience and enjoyment and even love of, well, different things (depending on what specific passages under discussion at any point in time). In the case of Ecclesiastes 9:5, it is temporal life, life under the sun (as I have said many, many times now).

Too, it is not to be applied to the age to come, eternity, because the context of Ecclesiastes 9 and of Ecclesiastes from beginning to end restricts what is being said only to the present age/life, life under the sun.

Grace and peace to you.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #73

Post by Eloi »

[Replying to PinSeeker in post #2]
Ecclesiastes is not the only book in the Bible that speaks of the inertness and unconsciousness of the dead. That is a myth.

Psalm 146:4 His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
... 104:29 When you hide your face, they are disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by PinSeeker »

tam wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #64]

Feel free to ignore this post, but I will put it here just in case we can clear up any confusion, because I do not understand how you can continue to make the same point even when the support you provided for your point proved incorrect:

I said this:

And besides all of this, even Christ likened death to a sleep which one would need to be awakened from. Not a conscious awareness. A sleep.

You said this:

Regarding the physical body, yes. The actual person (and his or her conscious awareness) is... somewhere else,

I responded:

That makes no sense. Christ did not say that the flesh sleeps. He said "our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep". Lazarus, the actual person. Not his body, but he, himself.

You responded:

But the people He was speaking to (Mary and Martha, concerning Lazarus, and Jairus, concerning his daughter) could not make any distinction between the body and the self. To them, the physical was all there was. He was speaking to them in terms they could understand. Some did, like Paul, as stated above, but that was after Christ's resurrection.

It is this last response that you have admitted was incorrect.
What I admitted was incorrect was my statement that Jesus was speaking to Mary and Martha regarding Lazarus. I stand by the statement that to them (Mary, Martha, and Jairus), the physical was all there was, but that's really irrelevant because, as I corrected myself and agreed with you, He was speaking with the apostles. For them (the apostles), I stand by what I have said since, which is that they could not fully understand the distinction between body and self, even though they obviously understood the mere fact that there is a distinction between the two (because He told them). You and I understand that there is a distinction also, but we cannot fully understand it, either, the reason being we are not God... :)... and I would apply that to the apostles, because they were not God, either... :) We can understand it really only in the sense that God has said it is so. Certainly, at the very least, you would acknowledge that it is very possible to understand that something is, but not completely understand the thing itself. This is what David is acknowledging in Psalm 139 (v.6) and what Isaiah is saying poetically in chapter 55 (vv.8-9) of his prophecy. Even all of this is not really germane to the discussion that was going on (and still is), because my point was merely that the temporal, the physical, was and is all that any human being can truly understand because it is all we have experienced ~ known ~ to this point, and that's true even of the apostles at the time Jesus spoke to them. So my real point you missed I think ~ which I don't fault you for, and like I said is at least partially if not mostly my fault. Hopefully now is at least somewhat clearer to you. If it's not, we'll just have to leave it at that. I am (leaving it at that), anyway.
tam wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:14 pm So then there is (to date) no response to my last post above (in green).
Yes there has been... :) What you originally said "makes no sense" (in post 54) was in response to this exchange:

Tam: Christ likened death to a sleep which one would need to be awakened from. Not a conscious awareness. A sleep.
PinSeeker: Regarding the physical body, yes. The actual person (and his or her conscious awareness) is... somewhere else.

And you said that it made no sense because, as you said, "Christ did not say that the flesh sleeps. He said "our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep". Lazarus, the actual person. Not his body, but he, himself." So, a couple of things here, which I've said before, but hey, you say I haven't answered to this, but I will again:

1. This pushed me into making the point, which you have agreed with, that there is a distinction between the self and the body, my point being that He was not referring to both the self and the body, but the body alone. And back to the above exchange, I agree (if this is what you were actually saying) that the body is not consciously aware of anything; it cannot be if it is not inhabited by or animated with the self.

2. As I have said before (in post 59; this is a cut-and-paste), (w)hen Jesus says "our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep," He's really saying a couple of things, one that Lazarus is still our friend (he still exists), but that his body is "asleep," which is to say that "our friend Lazarus" (and Jairus's daughter) were not present and inhabiting/animating their bodies and that their actual selves were elsewhere. And yet again, we know this is true because Jesus told the thief crucified on His right would be with Him that day in paradise (Luke 23:43). And then when you asked about it again in the next post, I said (in post 61), as used here and elsewhere, this "sleep" regarding the body is a euphemism, really, to say that the self is not present and inhabiting/animating their bodies. The body "sleeps," or "has fallen asleep." Now, to add to this just a bit, we can for sure assume that the body of the thief on Jesus's right (and the one on His left) ~ both very much dead, "asleep"... not inhabited or animated by the self ~ was (were) surely taken down from the cross and buried, but, as Jesus is not a liar, of course, the thief on His right was surely with Him in paradise that very day. And to be with Him here in this verse does not mean (although it is certainly true) mere proximity to Him, but actual intimate fellowship with and pure enjoyment of Him and His presence, which is not possible without one's own presence and consciousness.

So, I absolutely did answer you last post above in green, multiple times now. And, it does make sense. It seems to me the reason you think it "doesn't make any sense" is really just a sort of coded "I disagree," because you fully acknowledge the distinction between the body and the self. But whether that's the case or not is really not a matter of concern to me. It is what it is. Even if meant in earnest, that it makes no sense is only a personal opinion (although certainly not of no value), and I get it.

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:52 pm [Replying to PinSeeker in post #2]
Ecclesiastes is not the only book in the Bible that speaks of the inertness and unconsciousness of the dead. That is a myth.
Regarding the physical body, I absolutely agree. Cases in point, the very verses you cited:

Psalm 146:4 ~ His spirit goes out, he returns to the ground; On that very day his thoughts perish.
Psalm 104:29 ~ When you hide your face, they are disturbed. If you take away their spirit, they die and return to the dust.

So it's not a myth, it's a difference in understanding. You think I'm wrong, and I think you're wrong. That's good enough, right? Ohhhhh... probably not.... :)

Grace and peace to you.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #76

Post by Eloi »

Even if there is a "distinction between body and self", everybody knows that this "self" or conciousness we have can be supported ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY on the physical body we were created with. There is not human thoughts without a human brain (Gen. 2:7).

Psal. 146:4 His spirit goes out, he goes back to his ground;
In that day his thoughts do perish.

A person with a damaged brain cannot be fully functional even while remaining alive ... much less a dead person whose brain is completely destroyed.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #77

Post by myth-one.com »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm Even if there is a "distinction between body and self", everybody knows that this "self" or conciousness we have can be supported ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY on the physical body we were created with. There is not human thoughts without a human brain (Gen. 2:7).

A person with a damaged brain cannot be fully functional even while remaining alive ... much less a dead person whose brain is completely destroyed.
Hi, Eloi.

Actually, the word "spirit" is not the most frequent translation used in Psalm 146:4. Out of 60 different translations of the scriptures used on BibleGateway.com, 15 use the word "spirit" and 35 use the word "breath". For example:
His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish. Psalm 146:4 (KJ21)
A similar ratio exist in Genesis 2:7:
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (Genesis 2:7)
Fourteen translations use the words "living soul." Twenty-four use the words "living being" or something equivalent.
Then the Lord God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being. (Genesis 2:7 NIV)
======================================================

The Hebrew word being translated different ways above is "nephesh."

Look at the use of "nephesh" in I Kings. The son of a widowed woman in the town of Zarephath fell sick and his breath left him:
And it came to pass after these things, that the son of the woman, the mistress of the house, fell sick; and his sickness was so sore, that there was no breath left in him. (I Kings 17:17)
Elijah prayed to God to let the child's nephesh (translated soul here) return to him, and his nephesh or breath did return, and he revived:
And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the Lord, and said, O Lord my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul (nephesh) come into him again. And the Lord heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul (nephesh) of the child came into him again, and he revived. (I Kings 17:21-22)
In verse 22, the word "Nephesh" is translated 22 times as "soul" and 28 times as "life" in the list of 60 different Bible translations.

===================================================

Anyways, just as a person without a destroyed brain cannot function, a person without the "breath of life" cannot function.

The breath of life is most likely oxygenated air. When we stop breathing, we die!

Here's how God put it:
For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity. All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. (Ecclesiastes 3:19-20)
The same Hebrew word nephesh was used to refer to all animals and man. One of many instances where it obviously referred to beasts is Genesis 2:19:
And whatsoever Adam called every living creature (nephesh), that was the name thereof. (Genesis 2:19)
If non-human air breathing creatures are not immortal, neither is man as described in the original Hebrew scriptures!

And if man is not immortal, no man will suffer anything eternally.

Thank you for your response. :D

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #78

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:56 pm Even if there is a "distinction between body and self", everybody knows that this "self" or conciousness we have can be supported ONLY AND EXCLUSIVELY on the physical body we were created with. There is not human thoughts without a human brain (Gen. 2:7).

Yes, they he know longer is in this world, and his thoughts are not, either. Thank you for your thoughts.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #79

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:34 am

Yes, he know longer is in this world, and his thoughts are not, either. Thank you for your thoughts.
The Bible indicates that there are two worlds, the physical or earthly world, and the spiritual or heavenly world.

Are you claiming that dead earthlings go to the other world?

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #80

Post by Eloi »

myth-one.com wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:53 am
PinSeeker wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:34 am

Yes, he know longer is in this world, and his thoughts are not, either. Thank you for your thoughts.
The Bible indicates that there are two worlds, the physical or earthly world, and the spiritual or heavenly world.

Are you claiming that dead earthlings go to the other world?
It seems so.

It is precisely because of this erroneous belief that people who are guided by the leaders of Christendom with their speculative theories about the "immortal soul" cannot understand God's promises about the future of the dead. What would a "resurrection" be for "souls" who are supposedly already enjoying pleasures in some heaven?

Obviously that was not what Paul was teaching. Notice how he regarded Christians as dead were it not for his expectation of later resurrection:

1 Cor. 15:12 Now if it is being preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how is it that some among you say there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 If, indeed, there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised up. 14 But if Christ has not been raised up, our preaching is certainly in vain, and your faith is also in vain. 15 Moreover, we are also found to be false witnesses of God, because we have given witness against God by saying that he raised up the Christ, whom he did not raise up if the dead are really not to be raised up. 16 For if the dead are not to be raised up, neither has Christ been raised up. 17 Further, if Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you remain in your sins. 18 Then also those who have fallen asleep in death in union with Christ have perished.

Paul says that if the dead were not raised, then they would have perished forever and all their effort to serve God until death would have been useless. It is clear that if any soul were to go out to enjoy heavenly pleasures after a righteous Christian died, Paul would not say such a thing. That same idea Jesus shared in this statement:

Luke 9:24 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake is the one who will save it.

The word LIFE there is literally SOUL in greek. Jesus is talking about "loosing the soul", not getting the soul moved to the heaven (Mat.10:39; 16:25; Mark 8:35).

Neither Jesus, nor Paul, nor any other Christian of the first century, and much less some Jewish servant of God from biblical times, believed in some conscious invisible entity that came out of the righteous people who die to go to live in heaven and enjoy pleasures next to God and angels. That would be impossible if a dead person is not given life again, either to live on earth with a human body in the future paradise, or to be resurrected with a body of spirit to go to reign and serve as a priest with Christ in the world where spirits live, and these are just some elected.

PD: I use Google Translator to translate from Spanish and doble check to be sure it does what it is intended to do. Sometimes it seems like a strange translation (not exactly the idea, or a word or expression I am not familiar with) , but I can't find another way ... I am an American citizen and live in the States for more than 15 years. I hope you can appreciate my efforts.