Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

#5 Jesus on Hell Matthew 25:31-46

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Verse 46 says they will go away to eternal punishment but the righteous to eternal life.

If 'go away to eternal punishment' means annihilation then why presume 'righteous to eternal life' means eternal life?

There are two eternal destinations, hell and heaven being expressed in verse 46.

Isn't it biased to say eternal punishment is not eternal but eternal life is eternal life?

According to those that believe in annihilation and that the Bible doesn't teach hell, why do they interpret the first half of verse 46 as non-literal and the second half as literally?
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: #5 Jesus on Hell Matthew 25:31-46

Post #2

Post by myth-one.com »

Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 pm https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
Verse 46 says they will go away to eternal punishment but the righteous to eternal life.

If 'go away to eternal punishment' means annihilation then why presume 'righteous to eternal life' means eternal life?

There are two eternal destinations, hell and heaven being expressed in verse 46.

Isn't it biased to say eternal punishment is not eternal but eternal life is eternal life?

rebuttals?
Verse 46 is not referring to heaven or hell. It is referring to everlasting life or everlasting death:
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him, should not perish (everlasting death), but have everlasting life (everlasting life). (John 3:16)
Eternal punishment is eternal.

The wages of sin is death.

And that death is everlasting!

They will never live again.

==================================================

To have these questions, you must believe in the immortal soul myth -- that all mankind is born with an immortal soul which cannot perish.

Here is the origin of that false belief:
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (Genesis 3:4)
This is a common false theology among Christians.

tam
Savant

Post #3

Post by tam »

Peace to you!
Wootah wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:29 pm

We can presume that eternal life means eternal life because eternal life is clearly stated.

Eternal punishment means eternal punishment. It is not stated here what that eternal punishment is.
No, that is not so. Eternal punishment and eternal life are being expressed.

Hell has not been stated. (neither has heaven for that matter)
I don't think anyone is stating that eternal punishment is not eternal. The objections people have made are as to what that punishment is.

For example, complete destruction (such as annihilation) is indeed eternal. There is no coming back from it. It is an eternal punishment.

Peace again to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #4

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #3]

But if eternal punishment = death how can you assume that eternal life = life?

You are saying punishment = death for the word punishment and keeping the word life = life because you like that.

It's simply inconsistent.
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #3]

You are saying punishment = death for the word punishment and keeping the word life = life because you like that.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]\

There are no destinations mentioned in verse 46, such as "hell and heaven".
No one says "eternal punishment is not eternal".

Isn't it therefore, biased reading that results in anyone claiming they do say that?

tam
Savant

Post #7

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:07 am [Replying to tam in post #3]

Because it is clearly stated as life. Eternal life =eternal life. Just as eternal punishment = eternal punishment. No inconsistencies in that.

Life does not require an explanation. Punishment, however, does require an explanation. The 'reward' is life. The punishment from the phrase 'eternal punishment' has not been defined in this parable. We can know it is death, though, because it is stated to be death in other places, such as in Revelation, regarding the second death (which is eternal).

No, I'm keeping the word 'life' because a) that does not require another explanation. Life = life. And because that is what Christ and His Father have promised.

But the word 'punishment' requires an explanation as to what that punishment is.

Peace again to you.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #8

Post by myth-one.com »

Wootah wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:06 am [Replying to myth-one.com in post #3]

I honestly do not understand your question.

=====================================================

The wages or punishment for sin is death.

Wootah" wrote:46 Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.

The punishment for sins is death.

So punishment = death.

Since death and punishment are equal, we can simply substitute death for punishment in verse 46 as follows:

Wootah" wrote:46 Then they will go away to eternal death, but the righteous to eternal life.

Isn't that logical?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by PinSeeker »

All these discussions inevitably, invariably come down to this:

Death, in the Bible, is a state of existence. To be dead in sin, as unbelievers are in this life, is a state of existence. And in eternity, when the age to come begins, unbelievers will go away from where true life (existence in the presence of the One Who is Life) can be experienced and enjoyed eternally to a place where where this true life cannot be enjoyed or experienced ~ and in that sense is most assuredly true death ~ but is certainly an eternal existence and experience.

Grace and peace to all.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #10

Post by myth-one.com »

PinSeeker wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:33 pm All these discussions inevitably, invariably come down to this:
Death, in the Bible, is a state of existence.
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing... (Ecclesiastes 9:5)
If in your dead state of existence you know nothing, you might as well be annihilated.