Christendom inconsistent beliefs #3: Christ never died?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Christendom inconsistent beliefs #3: Christ never died?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

Oddly enough, this is the belief of all of Christendom.

However, Jesus said just the opposite:

Rev. 1:17 When I saw him, I fell as dead at his feet.
And he laid his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last, 18 and the living one, and I became dead, but look! I am living forever and ever, and I have the keys of death and of the Grave.
... 2:8 “And to the angel of the congregation in Smyrʹna write: These are the things that he says, ‘the First and the Last,’ who became dead and came to life again ..."

If Jesus says that he "became dead" and "came to life again", why do theologians and religious leaders of Christendom say that he never died, and they say even that he "resurrected himself"? Isn't that a clear denial of Jesus' statements in this regard?

myth-one.com
Savant

Re: Christendom inconsistent beliefs #3: Christ never died?

Post #91

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:58 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #88]
But God is a Spirit, not just a "mind":
What is 'just a mind' that it is not a spirit? Both are immaterial.
Admittedly, I do not understand the spiritual world. The Bible states that spirits are immortal and can move as the wind. That's about it.

But there are spiritual "bodies", according to the scriptures.

God is a spirit. Satan is also a spirit. They both have immaterial "spiritual bodies."

But I don't reason from their "equality" in body type that they both have equal minds.

Both can make individual freedom of choice decisions.

But God cannot lie, while Satan can.

Their mindsets seem very different.

What affects our human minds is typically physical stimulations. Perhaps there are also non-physical stimulus, but I don't know how to prove or disprove that.

Death terminates our physical stimulations.

Definition of mind: the element of a person that enables them to be aware of the world and their experiences, to think, and to feel; the faculty of consciousness and thought.

So there is no possible need for our mind to survive our physical death as there are no longer and experiences to which we are aware of.

That is, all of our input devices no longer exist. We cannot taste, touch, feel, hunger, love, hate ... etc.

The dead know not anything. There are no longer any inputs to be experienced!

If our mind "lived on" after our death, it would be bored, bored, bored . . . . bored . . .. bored ....

We cannot understand the mind of God or other spiritual bodied beings, until we are born again of the Spirit as a spirit. We will then be members of the spiritual bodied Kingdom of God and understand the mysteries of the spiritual world.

William
Savant

Post #92

Post by William »

[Replying to myth-one.com in post #91]

The thing which convinced me that I wasn't just the physical body, was having OOBEs.
Once a person experiences that, theological beliefs re religious mythology which deny such a thing is possible, naturally have to become suspect.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #93

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:14 pm [Replying to myth-one.com in post #91]

The thing which convinced me that I wasn't just the physical body, was having OOBEs.
Once a person experiences that, theological beliefs re religious mythology which deny such a thing is possible, naturally have to become suspect.
Did these OOBEs (out of body experiences) occur while you were asleep, unconscious, or under the influence of some chemical or drug?

William
Savant

Post #94

Post by William »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:30 pm

Did these OOBEs (out of body experiences) occur while you were asleep, unconscious, or under the influence of some chemical or drug?
Why do you ask?

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #95

Post by myth-one.com »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:09 pm

Why do you ask?
If you were not in one of those states, what would your body be doing without "you" being in it?

It could fall or collapse and hurt itself without your mental control being available.

But if you were in one of those states, then that state could explain the out of body experiences.

William
Savant

Post #96

Post by William »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 pm

Do you have any evidence to support these assertions?
Why do you ask?
If you were not in one of those states, what would your body be doing without "you" being in it?

It could fall or collapse and hurt itself without your mental control being available.

But if you were in one of those states, then that state could explain the out of body experiences.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #97

Post by onewithhim »

myth-one.com wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:48 pm

Why do you ask?

I believe that the people who have these so-called OOBEs are indeed either under the influence of some drug, or are having a heck of a dream.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #98

Post by Eloi »

Those who believe that Jesus said he would resurrect himself rely on an inaccurate translation of the following passage:

John 10:17 This is why the Father loves me, because I surrender my life, so that I may receive it again. 18 No man takes it away from me, but I surrender it of my own initiative. I have authority to surrender it, and I have authority to receive it again. This commandment I received from my Father.”

In those words of Jesus (in the Greek text) there are two terms that decide the correct interpretation of the passage, so an inaccurate translation can make a person confused as to how to understand those words of Jesus. I point out those two words in bold.

The Greek verb λαμβάνω has two acceptable general meanings: to take and to receive (or diferent variants of any of them). Actually, both general meanings present the subject as a receiver of something, not as the performer of the action.

The Greek word ἐξουσία DOES NOT mean power, but authority.

Once the meanings of these two Greek words are understood, the text acquires a completely natural meaning: Jesus was authorized to let himself be killed without it being considered a guilty suicide, because he had received from his Father the instruction that this was what he should do, and he had been told that after he died he would receive life back.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #99

Post by Eloi »

if after his death Jesus was still alive in spirit (as he had been before he was born as a human)... what sense would his resurrection have?

Note that he does not consider death as LOSING THE BODY but as LOSING LIFE.

Rev. 2:8 “And to the angel of the congregation in Smyrʹna write: These are the things that he says, ‘the First and the Last,’ who became dead and came to life again ..."