Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #5: Is the Father the head of Christ in heaven and yet Jesus is his equal?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #5: Is the Father the head of Christ in heaven and yet Jesus is his equal?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

That belief is obviously a contradiction. The Father of Jesus cannot be the "head" of him (as the Christ is of the Christian congregation) and at the same time be equal.

1 Cor. 11:3 But I want you to know that the head of every man is the Christ; in turn, the head of a woman is the man; in turn, the head of the Christ is God.

Jesus clearly taught, in many ways, that he was not equal to God, his Father:

a) knowledge:

Matt. 24:36 “Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father.

b) power

Acts 1:4 While he was meeting with them, he ordered them: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but keep waiting for what the Father has promised, about which you heard from me; 5 for John, indeed, baptized with water, but you will be baptized with holy spirit not many days after this.”
... 2:33 Therefore, because he was exalted to the right hand of God and received the promised holy spirit from the Father, he has poured out what you see and hear.

c) authority

Matt. 20:23 He said to them: “You will indeed drink my cup, but to sit down at my right hand and at my left is not mine to give, but it belongs to those for whom it has been prepared by my Father.”

In fact, he explicitly told them that the Father is greater than he:

John 14:25 “I have spoken these things to you while I am still with you. 26 But the helper, the holy spirit, which the Father will send in my name, that one will teach you all things and bring back to your minds all the things I told you. 27 I leave you peace; I give you my peace. I do not give it to you the way that the world gives it. Do not let your hearts be troubled nor let them shrink out of fear. 28 You heard that I said to you, ‘I am going away and I am coming back to you.’ If you loved me, you would rejoice that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I am. 29 So now I have told you before it occurs, so that you may believe when it does occur. 30 I will not speak with you much more, for the ruler of the world is coming, and he has no hold on me. 31 But for the world to know that I love the Father, I am doing just as the Father has commanded me to do. (...)

Why do the religious leaders of Christendom continue to teach their followers something so different from what Jesus taught?