Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #6: is Jesus your God and your brother at the same time?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #6: is Jesus your God and your brother at the same time?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

To all who believe Jesus is your God (as most religious leaders teach in Christendom): Can you answer this question, do you consider Jesus your brother at the same time?

John 20:17 Jesus said to her: “Stop clinging to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and say to them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father and to my God and your God.’”

Mattathias
Student

Re: Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #6: is Jesus your God and your brother at the same time?

Post #2

Post by Mattathias »

Strictly speaking, the question you ask in the OP isn’t applicable to me. (My God is the Father alone.) I see my God in the Messiah. I consider the Messiah to be my brother. I don’t consider God to be my brother.

I responded to your OP because I believe there are a couple of instances in scripture where the Messiah is called elohim / theos. My theological position is that the Messiah exercises a functional equality with God.
The hound of Jewish monotheism

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Re: Christendom's inconsistent beliefs #6: is Jesus your God and your brother at the same time?

Post #3

Post by Eloi »

Mattathias wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm Strictly speaking, the question you ask in the OP isn’t applicable to me. (My God is the Father alone.) I see my God in the Messiah. I consider the Messiah to be my brother. I don’t consider God to be my brother.

I responded to your OP because I believe there are a couple of instances in scripture where the Messiah is called elohim / theos. My theological position is that the Messiah exercises a functional equality with God.
Thank you for telling us about your theological position. It is interesting and I agree with some parts of what you post ... However, it is a position rarely seen in Christendom.

I am a Jehovah's Witness, and since there are many different groups of people who claim to be "Christians" and I do not want to contradict them if they think they are, I separate all the people who are led by the theologians from the religious schools around the world and their views so dissimilar to those of the Witnesses. As we also consider ourselves "Christians" and some of those groups say that we are not, I separate our Christianity from Christendom ... and so everyone in peace, with some exceptions ;) .

Can you tell us which religious group you identify with?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

Mattathias wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:48 pm Strictly speaking, the question you ask in the OP isn’t applicable to me. (My God is the Father alone.) I see my God in the Messiah. I consider the Messiah to be my brother. I don’t consider God to be my brother.

Yes, I wouldn't say God the Father is my brother, either. :)

Grace and peace to you.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:02 pm ...it is a position rarely seen in Christendom.
Interesting. Well, I must not be a part of your "Christendom," then. :)

Grace and peace to you.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Eloi »

Many people who are part of Christendom have isolated themselves from the teachings of their religious leaders and theologians ... They have learned many biblical truths from the well-argued explanations that Jehovah's Witnesses have been teaching all over the earth for more than a century.

They do not even personally identify with any religious group ... they are independent interpreters who study the Bible on their own and verify things they never heard before. Everyone who takes Bible courses with Jehovah's Witnesses learns many biblical teachings that they have never been taught before.

Mattathias
Student

Post #7

Post by Mattathias »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:02 pm Thank you for telling us about your theological position. It is interesting and I agree with some parts of what you post ... However, it is a position rarely seen in Christendom.

I am a Jehovah's Witness, and since there are many different groups of people who claim to be "Christians" and I do not want to contradict them if they think they are, I separate all the people who are led by the theologians from the religious schools around the world and their views so dissimilar to those of the Witnesses. As we also consider ourselves "Christians" and some of those groups say that we are not, I separate our Christianity from Christendom ... and so everyone in peace, with some exceptions ;) .

Can you tell us which religious group you identify with?
The religious group I identify with is the Church of God General Conference (McDonough, Georgia), also sometimes referred to as the Church of God Abrahamic Faith.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Eloi »

Mattathias wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pmThe religious group I identify with is the Church of God General Conference (McDonough, Georgia), also sometimes referred to as the Church of God Abrahamic Faith.
Thanks for sharing that info.

I'm not sure if I correctly understood your point of view on Jesus. Do you consider yourself a brother of Jesus, or do you consider him your "God"?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:37 pm
Mattathias wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:30 pmThe religious group I identify with is the Church of God General Conference (McDonough, Georgia), also sometimes referred to as the Church of God Abrahamic Faith.
Thanks for sharing that info. I'm not sure if I correctly understood your point of view on Jesus. Do you consider yourself a brother of Jesus, or do you consider him your "God"?
I can't exactly speak for Mattathias, but I'm... preeeeeeetty surrrrrrre... his answer is... yes. :) And being in Christ, then, the Father is... his (our)... father ~ uh, his (our) Father. :D

Grace and peace to you.

Mattathias
Student

Post #10

Post by Mattathias »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:37 pmThanks for sharing that info.

I'm not sure if I correctly understood your point of view on Jesus. Do you consider yourself a brother of Jesus, or do you consider him your "God"?
Thank you for offering me the opportunity to clarify.

I believe Jesus is a miraculously created human person (miraculously begotten by God and conceived in the womb of a virgin, Mary). I consider him to be my brother. My God is his God and no other. I’m a Jewish monotheist, a unitarian.