Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Is Jesus "the God of gods"?

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

The Bible describes the Most High as "the God of gods."

Deut. 10:17 For Jehovah your God is the God of gods and the Lord of lords, the God great, mighty, and awe-inspiring, who treats none with partiality and does not accept a bribe. 18 He executes justice for the fatherless child and the widow and loves the foreign resident, giving him food and clothing.

The God of gods is not supposed to have someone he calls "God", because everyone else is below him, according to the logic of the title.

Dan. 2:46 Then King Neb·u·chad·nezʹzar fell down with his face to the ground before Daniel and paid homage to him. And he gave the order to offer a present and incense to him. 47 The king said to Daniel: “Truly your God is a God of gods and a Lord of kings and a Revealer of secrets, because you were able to reveal this secret.”

Did you know that Jesus mentions his God many times in Scripture?

For example, he said this from heaven more than 60 years after he was resurrected and taken up:

Rev. 3:12 “‘The one who conquers—I will make him a pillar in the temple of my God, and he will by no means go out from it anymore, and I will write upon him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the New Jerusalem that descends out of heaven from my God, and my own new name.

If Jesus has a God, could he be considered "the God of gods"?

Mattathias
Student

Re: Is Jesus "the God of gods"?

Post #2

Post by Mattathias »

To your point.

“1. The one God. (a) theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself made the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1 Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

There is only one who is truly God in the highest sense of the word. That one is the God of the fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, the God of Israel, and the God of Jesus Christ. That one is the Father. That one is YHWH.

Jesus Christ isn’t the God of gods. His God is.
The hound of Jewish monotheism

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by PinSeeker »

[Replying to Eloi in post #1]

My position, oft-stated previously, is that certainly, Jesus, as our representative before the Father and our Kinsman Redeemer, has a God, even God the Father. Certainly, being born of a woman (Mary), He Jesus was of ~ in the form of, 'morphe' ~ man. But He was also born of the Holy Spirit, Who "came upon" Mary ~ "the power of the Most High overshadowed Mary (Luke 1:35) ~ and thus of ~ in the form of, 'morphe') God. This is true now (after His crucifixion, resurrection and ascension) as well as then (before). This is what qualifies him to be our Mediator before the Father; He represents and is man (along with man) and God (along with the Father). Having said that (yet again), yes, the Son with the Father (and the Holy Spirit) is most certainly the God of gods.

I would ask this counter-question, if you will, really rhetorical in nature, because I'm going to answer it myself :) ~ Jesus, in Revelation 19, is the one sitting on white horse and called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on His head are many diadems, and He has a name written that no one knows but Himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which He is called is The Word of God (cf. John 1:1)... On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords. Jesus is the King of kings and Lord of lords. Well, the Father is a King and Lord, so, is the Son the Father's King and Lord and thus superior to the Father? Well no, He's not. He's one with the Father (John 10). He is in His Father, and the Father is in Him, just as He said (John 14). So, accordingly, the Son with the Father (and the Holy Spirit) is most certainly the King of kings and Lord of lords.

Grace and peace to all.

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Eloi »

Should Christians consider someone other than "the God of gods" as their God?

Rom. 3:29 Or is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also the God of people of the nations? Yes, also of people of the nations. 30 Since God is one, he will declare circumcised people righteous as a result of faith and uncircumcised people righteous by means of their faith. 31 Do we, then, abolish law by means of our faith? Not at all! On the contrary, we uphold law.

What God did Jewish-Christians speak of to Gentiles when they preached the good news of the kingdom to non-Jews?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by PinSeeker »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm Should Christians consider someone other than "the God of gods" as their God?
Of course not, but again, should Christians consider Jesus the King of kings and Lord of Lords and not the Father? Again, no.

Mattathias
Student

Post #6

Post by Mattathias »

Eloi wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:54 pm Should Christians consider someone other than "the God of gods" as their God?

Rom. 3:29 Or is he the God of the Jews only? Is he not also the God of people of the nations? Yes, also of people of the nations. 30 Since God is one, he will declare circumcised people righteous as a result of faith and uncircumcised people righteous by means of their faith. 31 Do we, then, abolish law by means of our faith? Not at all! On the contrary, we uphold law.

What God did Jewish-Christians speak of to Gentiles when they preached the good news of the kingdom to non-Jews?
They spoke of the God of the Jews when they spoke to Jews and to Gentiles. Put another way, they spoke of the God of Jesus, who is himself a Jew.

They spoke of their God - the God of Jesus, the God of the fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, the God of Israel. They spoke of the Father.

Jewish Christians formed the primitive church. Within a few hundred years, their understanding of God was no longer the majority view in Christianity.
The hound of Jewish monotheism