Did Christ actually ascend into heaven?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Riaan
Student

Did Christ actually ascend into heaven?

Post #1

Post by Riaan »

No, he had to wait 40 days for thick enough mist to toll over the mountain, into which he then disappeared (Barbelo). It is actually recorded as such in Acts!

Miles
Savant

Re: Did Christ actually ascend into heaven?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Interesting that Jesus hung around for 40 days after having been crucified. I don't remember this being mentioned in church (Lutheran) at all.

Acts 1:1-11
1 Dear Theophilus,

The first book I wrote was about everything Jesus did and taught from the beginning 2 until the day he was carried up into heaven. Before he went, he talked to the apostles he had chosen. With the help of the Holy Spirit, he told them what they should do. 3 This was after his death, but he showed them that he was alive, proving it to them in many ways. The apostles saw Jesus many times during the 40 days after he was raised from death. He spoke to them about God’s kingdom. 4 One time when Jesus was eating with them, he told them not to leave Jerusalem. He said, “Wait here until you receive what the Father promised to send. Remember, I told you about it before. 5 John baptized people with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”
Jesus Is Carried Up Into Heaven

6 The apostles were all together. They asked Jesus, “Lord, is this the time for you to give the people of Israel their kingdom again?”

7 Jesus said to them, “The Father is the only one who has the authority to decide dates and times. They are not for you to know. 8 But the Holy Spirit will come on you and give you power. You will be my witnesses. You will tell people everywhere about me—in Jerusalem, in the rest of Judea, in Samaria, and in every part of the world.”

9 After Jesus said this, he was lifted up into the sky. While they were watching, he went into a cloud, and they could not see him. 10 They were staring into the sky where he had gone. Suddenly two men wearing white clothes were standing beside them. 11 They said, “Men from Galilee, why are you standing here looking into the sky? You saw Jesus carried away from you into heaven. He will come back in the same way you saw him go.”

What gives? Jesus is running around for 40 days after having been killed and no one else, particularly the Romans and angry Jews, ever caught on? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

As for the OP question "Did Christ actually ascend into heaven?" The Bible says he did.

Luke 24:50-51
50 Jesus led his followers out of Jerusalem almost to Bethany. He raised his hands and blessed his followers. 51 While he was blessing them, he was separated from them and carried into heaven.

Mattathias
Student

Post #3

Post by Mattathias »

Riaan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:43 am No, he had to wait 40 days for thick enough mist to toll over the mountain, into which he then disappeared (Barbelo). It is actually recorded as such in Acts!
Where do you see this description recorded in Acts?
The hound of Jewish monotheism

onewithhim
Savant

Post #4

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Riaan in post #1]
Yes, he waited 40 days, but not for a mist to descend through which he could escape to parts unknown. The scripture says plainly that he ascended.

"...While they were looking on, he was lifted up and a cloud caught him up from their sight. And as they were gazing into the sky while he was on his way, suddenly two men in white garments stood beside them and said: 'Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus who was taken up from you INTO THE SKY will come in the same manner as you have seen him going INTO THE SKY.'" (Acts 1:9-11)

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Checkpoint »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]
What gives? Jesus is running around for 40 days after having been killed and no one else, particularly the Romans and angry Jews, ever caught on? Sounds pretty fishy to me.

O:)

Pretty fishy?

Yes, it well maybe, to have someone report someone was "running around for 40 days after having been killed/crucified".

Something is missing, that's for sure.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Checkpoint »

Riaan wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:43 am No, he had to wait 40 days for thick enough mist to toll over the mountain, into which he then disappeared (Barbelo). It is actually recorded as such in Acts!
It is?

Please quote it, therefore, from Acts.