Moderator: Moderators

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Traditional Misreading? #2: 2 Corinthians 5:8

Post #1

Post by Checkpoint »

A Traditional Misreading?
#2: 2 Corinthians 5:8
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
Another familiar verse, one readily used to support a traditional teaching.

So, I ask you, tell us, in your own words, what it has conveyed to you up to now.

You may also wish to answer one or more of these questions:

1. Why does Paul use the word "rather" in verse 8; what are the two alternatives hecompares(the first is in an earlier verse)?

2. What does Paul mean by "absent from the body"?

3. In verse 8, what does he mean by "present with the Lord"?

4. Is Paul saying we will be "present with the Lord" after we die, before Jesus comes back?

5. Is Paul also saying we will then, when "present with the Lord," have no body?

I now show verse 8 in its immediate context, Chapter 5.

1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: 3If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked. 4For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life. 5Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest of the Spirit.

6Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: 7(For we walk by faith, not by sight:)

8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
Last edited by Checkpoint on Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Traditional Misreading? \#2: 2 Corinthians 5:8

Post #11

Post by Checkpoint »

1213 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:39 am
Checkpoint wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:52 am A Traditional Misreading?
#2: 2 Corinthians 5:8
Another familiar verse, one readily used to support a traditional teaching.

So, I ask you, tell us, in your own words, what it has conveyed to you up to now.....
I have understood that means, Paul would rather all ready be with the Lord than to live this life.
Yes.

That is what verse 8, and the whole passage, is about.
This life, in this body, and the life to come, in our new body, with the Lord.

Noose001
Apprentice

Re: Traditional Misreading? #2: 2 Corinthians 5:8

Post #12

Post by Noose001 »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #10]

This is too much for me :?

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Re: Traditional Misreading? #2: 2 Corinthians 5:8

Post #13

Post by Checkpoint »

Noose001 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:08 pm Many people/christians misunderstood Paul and other apostles on this and all the other doctrines. Resurrection being one of the major doctrines, it is sad to see that many do not understand.

These are the key highlights:

1. Resurrection is spiritual and not bodily ( don't let the language confuse you).

2. Resurrection is immediate for believers. They actually transition and not sleep during this church era. Before the church era, believers slept, awaiting the church era, basically awaiting the death of Peter.

Jesus is full of life; means if he gives you life, death doesn't overcome you not for a second but one transitions 'in the blink of an eye'.

Many get confused with the language, 'last day', 'last trump'. Do not be confused.

3. The resurrected believers (spirits) indwell the living believers on earth where they judge but also guide with Christ. For the living believer, this is what it means 'christ cometh with 1000s of his saints' or the 'second coming'.

Very interesting topic.
Some topics can be very interesting, no doubt.

But what was the topic you chose to write about?

The church? Believers? The resurrection? Something else?

I think it was the resurrection. But I found what you said somewhat confusing. What was your main point?

Maybe you can discuss or explain verse 8 or the whole passage , and thus focus on what this thread is intended to be about.

Blessings.