Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Is there a new heaven and a new earth coming?

Post #41

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 2:27 pm
onewithhim wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:08 pm
William wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:52 pm
onewithhim wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:43 pm [Replying to William in post #30]

We know it is literally SOON, in our time frame, because of Biblical chronology, as I have specifically mentioned in recent past. The immense image of Daniel chapter 2 show us where we are in the stream of time and that we will see the crushing of the image, as it were, and the institution of God's own government by Christ.

So you say.

But what do you give us as a way to support your predictions re "literally SOON"? A timeframe would be handy.

Something which can positively set you above suspicion re the advice to the beloved to believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

How would you suggest we 'try the spirit" in relation to your proclamation?

For example, by your being more specific than "literally SOON" say - in offering a month or year when this will happen, we can then ascertain whether you were true or false.
No one can ascertain the day or the hour, as Jesus indicated. He didn't even know that. But we can know the season.
So okay - Give us the season this will happen.

I have mentioned the scriptures to look up to show that we are in the season when Jesus will come back in Kingdom power. Daniel chapter 2 is the key, because it is easily understood. The dream of Nebuchadnezzar concerning the big tree had two parts, and besides the story of him living 7 years in the fields, the greater meaning leads us down to the year 1914 as when Jehovah's representative King will take power once again. This can be explained in detail if you are truly interested.
Why would something easily understood need explaining?
Why do Kindergarteners need a teacher to help them understand 2 + 2 = 4?

Nebuchadnezzar's other dream, of the immense image, is particularly poignant. All of the world powers that had an influence on God's people are mentioned in the verses of chapter 2. The first is stated---Babylon. Then the others we know by way of looking back in history. The one to rise after Babylon was Medo-Persia, and the next--the one of Copper--would be Greece, and the fourth kingdom would be Rome, because it did conquer Greece. Verses 41 through 43 describes the days we are living in now. The United States and Great Britain are descended from Rome, and those verses describe how these kingdoms are faring. "Partly strong and partly fragile," like iron mixed with clay. Whether or not you agree that the feet and toes stand for the Duo British-American world power, it seems to me that it is quite clear that the feet and toes picture the last kingdom to rule before the stone comes out of the mountain (God's Kingdom coming out of heaven). Indeed, it says there that "in the days of those kings, the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will never be destroyed....It will crush and put an end to all these kingdoms, and it alone will stand forever." (Daniel 2:44)

So placing all that into the perspective of now, you are saying that 'soon' The United States and Great Britain will crumble because of an event which [literally?] comes from the sky?

Obviously the script uses metaphorical imagery, so what do you think the metaphor of "the stone comes out of the mountain (God's Kingdom coming out of heaven)." means?

It means that the God of heaven will set up a kingdom that will crush and put an end to all these other man-made governments, and it will rule forever. (Daniel 2:44)
What of the other nations which also rule their various states?
ALL nations' governments will be destroyed.

I have encouraged people to go on Google and type in "Immense Image of Daniel 2." Many groups other than Jehovah's Witnesses apparently can see that the feet and toes of the image are specific to our day. Why don't you look it up?

William says: We can also see that these were 'specific to the day' of past humans who have since died not seeing anything like a stone from heaven crashing into the affairs of humankind.

Therefore your explanation does not account for why anyone should think your claim that this will happen "literally SOON" has any truth to it.

Hench why - those making predictions - are required to be tested in some way which allows the listener to ascertain whether they speak truth or not.

Nothing of the sort may ever happen.
OWH says:
Did you not see where we are in the stream of time according to the immense image of Daniel chapter 2? God is trying to tell us something, and it behooves us all to take the book of Daniel seriously.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #42

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Wootah wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:27 am
A New Heaven and a New Earth
Revelation 21 Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”[a] for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

5 He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”

6 He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7 Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children. 8 But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts, the idolaters and all liars—they will be consigned to the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death.”

More quotes taken from: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-s ... earth.html

Isaiah 65:17-19 - “See, I will create new heavens and a new earth. The former things will not be remembered, nor will they come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I will create, for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight and its people a joy. I will rejoice over Jerusalem and take delight in my people; the sound of weeping and of crying will be heard in it no more.”

2 Peter 3:13 – “But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, where righteousness dwells.”

Revelation 21:1 – “Then I saw ‘a new heaven and a new earth,’ for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea.”

Isaiah 66:22 - “‘As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,’ declares the Lord, ‘so will your name and descendants endure.’”

The new heaven and earth, when there would be "no more death", would follow the millennium, so you might not want to hold your breath.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #43

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #42]

Indeed, everything will be made new......new governmental arrangement, and a new society of people, people who are righteously inclined and will support Jehovah as the rightful Sovereign of the universe. That is what a "new heaven and a new earth" means. This will, as you say, be completed after the Millennial reign of Christ when there will be no more death.

New heavens = new government (under Christ Jesus)
New earth = new society of righteous people

Concerning the actual planet => "He has established the earth on its foundations; It will not be moved from its place forever and ever." (Psalm 104:5)

"He made his sanctuary as enduring as the heavens, Like the earth that he has established forever." (Psalm 78:69)

"The earth remains forever." (Ecclesiastes 1:4)

"The meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace....The righteous will possess the earth, and they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:11,29)

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #44

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:44 pm [Replying to 2ndpillar2 in post #42]

Indeed, everything will be made new......new governmental arrangement, and a new society of people, people who are righteously inclined and will support Jehovah as the rightful Sovereign of the universe. That is what a "new heaven and a new earth" means. This will, as you say, be completed after the Millennial reign of Christ when there will be no more death.

Concerning the actual planet => "He has established the earth on its foundations; It will not be moved from its place forever and ever." (Psalm 104:5)

"He made his sanctuary as enduring as the heavens, Like the earth that he has established forever." (Psalm 78:69)

"The meek will possess the earth, and they will find exquisite delight in the abundance of peace....The righteous will possess the earth, and they will live forever on it." (Psalm 37:11,29)
The "LORD"/YHWY, the Lord God, will dwell within Israel, with "My servant David" as their king. (Ezekiel 37:24-28) with respect to the millennium, and as far as the post millennium status, there will be changes, as "I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea" (Revelation 21:1), and "the city (Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb." (Revelation 21:23). The millennium has David as their king/leader (Ezekiel 37:24 & Revelation 20:4 & Ezekiel 34:24), and it is not a new "heaven", and the righteous will rule with "Christ" (Revelation 20:4), and it will not be a new earth, for death will still remain a part of life, until after the millennium ends.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #45

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 am

The "LORD"/YHWY, the Lord God, will dwell within Israel, with "My servant David" as their king. (Ezekiel 37:24-28) with respect to the millennium, and as far as the post millennium status, there will be changes, as "I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the first heaven and first earth passed away, and there is no longer any sea" (Revelation 21:1), and "the city (Jerusalem) has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine upon it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb." (Revelation 21:23). The millennium has David as their king/leader (Ezekiel 37:24 & Revelation 20:4 & Ezekiel 34:24), and it is not a new "heaven", and the righteous will rule with "Christ" (Revelation 20:4), and it will not be a new earth, for death will still remain a part of life, until after the millennium ends.
I'm not sure what all it is that you are differing with me about, but YHWH, Jehovah, will always be "with" his people, just as he has been in the past, even thousands of years ago (Isaiah 30:20,21; Jeremiah 14:9; Psalm 78:60; I Corinthians 14:25). Obviously he doesn't need to be literally on the planet to be "with" or "among" his people.

"My Servant David" actually refers to Jesus Christ, who takes the throne that David once occupied when David was representing Jehovah on the throne in Jerusalem. (Luke 1:32,33) Now it is Jesus who represents Jehovah on the throne which is now in heaven, associated with "the New Jerusalem." (Galatians 4:26; Revelation 3:12)

The "new earth" is made up of righteous humans who will love their God and Creator and his Son. It does not wholly depend on no further death for the planet to have a new society of people. The planet will become a paradise soon after the beginning of Christ's Millennial Reign, and those that rebel will see their fate at the end of the thousand years. Death will not "remain a part of life" during those thousand years. Only after, and briefly.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #46

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:41 pm

I'm not sure what all it is that you are differing with me about, but YHWH, Jehovah, will always be "with" his people, just as he has been in the past, even thousands of years ago (Isaiah 30:20,21; Jeremiah 14:9; Psalm 78:60; I Corinthians 14:25). Obviously he doesn't need to be literally on the planet to be "with" or "among" his people.

"My Servant David" actually refers to Jesus Christ, who takes the throne that David once occupied when David was representing Jehovah on the throne in Jerusalem. (Luke 1:32,33) Now it is Jesus who represents Jehovah on the throne which is now in heaven, associated with "the New Jerusalem." (Galatians 4:26; Revelation 3:12)

The "new earth" is made up of righteous humans who will love their God and Creator and his Son. It does not wholly depend on no further death for the planet to have a new society of people. The planet will become a paradise soon after the beginning of Christ's Millennial Reign, and those that rebel will see their fate at the end of the thousand years. Death will not "remain a part of life" during those thousand years. Only after, and briefly
People in the millennium, other than those already risen from the dead, will all die. Those not thought of as accursed, will live past 100 years of age. (Isaiah 65:20) The "accursed" will not live to be 100 years of age.
As for "My people" (Ezekiel 37:27), it will be the "sanctified Israel" who will be the combined Judah (Jews), and Ephraim (the lost 10 tribes) (Ezekiel 37:19), who will be given a new heart and spirit (Ezekiel 36:27) and "walk in My statutes".
As for "Israel", they will only return to the LORD after two days (2000 years) (Hosea 5:15-6:3 & Hosea 3:5).
As for what is happening in heaven, well Yeshua is sitting at the right hand of God (Matthew 22:44), and not in God's chair. It is the LORD who will do the judgment, and it is king David who will be the king/shepherd. (Ezekiel 34:20-24). Your false Trinity concept is keeping you in the dark.
As for during the millennium, the "Word of God" will rule the nations with a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15), and any nation who does not "worship the king" by keeping the feast of Booths in Jerusalem, will be punished, in that they will have no rain, and therefore, no food. A circumstance where the term "paradise" for the afflicted, will not be a good description. (Zechariah 14:17).

onewithhim
Savant

Post #47

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:43 pm

The "new earth" is made up of righteous humans who will love their God and Creator and his Son. It does not wholly depend on no further death for the planet to have a new society of people. The planet will become a paradise soon after the beginning of Christ's Millennial Reign, and those that rebel will see their fate at the end of the thousand years. Death will not "remain a part of life" during those thousand years. Only after, and briefly
People in the millennium, other than those already risen from the dead, will all die.
Where do you get that idea from? Many wicked people will die at Armageddon, and then the rest of mankind will go on into the Millennial Reign. Those that were wicked will already have been destroyed. We have no reason to believe that Jesus will not immediately put into practice all of his merciful and advantageous-to-mankind's powers so that we can all start our way back to the perfection that humans had when God first created Adam. Returning to "flesh fresher than in youth" (Job 33:25) will be something we will see very soon after the beginning of Jesus' reign. No one need die, with the possible exception of someone who is resurrected from the dead and, after learning the truth about God, rejects it. The Millennium will be a wonderful time of life and happiness and joy.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #48

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:01 pm

People in the millennium, other than those already risen from the dead, will all die.
Where do you get that idea from? Many wicked people will die at Armageddon, and then the rest of mankind will go on into the Millennial Reign. Those that were wicked will already have been destroyed. We have no reason to believe that Jesus will not immediately put into practice all of his merciful and advantageous-to-mankind's powers so that we can all start our way back to the perfection that humans had when God first created Adam. Returning to "flesh fresher than in youth" (Job 33:25) will be something we will see very soon after the beginning of Jesus' reign. No one need die, with the possible exception of someone who is resurrected from the dead and, after learning the truth about God, rejects it. The Millennium will be a wonderful time of life and happiness and joy.
The "wicked", "those who commit lawlessness", are "cast into the furnace of fire", which would be the "great tribulation", "a place there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth". (Matthew 13:41) When people are "destroyed" they no longer "weep" nor do the gnash their teeth. Apparently, the greatest number of those tormented will be those with the "mark of the beast", which would be the Gentiles who follow the doctrines put in place by the Roman emperor Constantine, which would be the card carrying followers of the false prophet Paul (Revelation 14:10), who will drink from the cup of "His anger". Yeshua's powers, as king, will be to "smite", and rule the "nations"/Gentiles with a rod of iron (Revelation 19:15). Like as with Elijah, he will be able to stop the rain to nations which will not worship the king at the yearly feast of Booths (Zechariah 14:17). If you want to become "perfect" today, Yeshua told you all you had to do was keep the Commandments, and then sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor (Matthew 19:21), and follow me. The only people who are "resurrected from the dead" will be those who will rule with "Christ", which would exclude those with the mark of the beast, who will remain in their graves (Revelation 20:4). And as written in Jeremiah 31:30, "everyone will die for their own iniquities". People will die, just at an older age (Isaiah 65:20), unless they are considered "accursed".

onewithhim
Savant

Post #49

Post by onewithhim »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

The "wicked", "those who commit lawlessness", are "cast into the furnace of fire", which would be the "great tribulation",
The wicked are destroyed at Armageddon, as I explained previously. Then there is a period of a thousand years before the Devil and those who side with him are destroyed. (Revelation 20:7) The Great Tribulation is a period of undetermined length which happens before Armageddon, Armageddon being the culmination of God's battle with the wicked and the destruction of wicked people from this system of things. It is after the thousand years that the Devil and his supporters are symbolically cast into the lake of fire---complete obliteration.

We are waiting for the Great Tribulation to begin, when the nations are saying that we have "peace and security." (I Thessalonians 5:3) You see, from that scripture alone we can see that Armageddon comes after the Great Tribulation. Examine Matthew 24 and you will be able to see the signs of when the Great Tribulation will start, and it's before the destruction of the wicked of this world we live in now. Please check out Bible facts on www.jw.org.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #50

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:19 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:14 am

The "wicked", "those who commit lawlessness", are "cast into the furnace of fire", which would be the "great tribulation",
The wicked are destroyed at Armageddon, as I explained previously. Then there is a period of a thousand years before the Devil and those who side with him are destroyed. (Revelation 20:7) The Great Tribulation is a period of undetermined length which happens before Armageddon, Armageddon being the culmination of God's battle with the wicked and the destruction of wicked people from this system of things. It is after the thousand years that the Devil and his supporters are symbolically cast into the lake of fire---complete obliteration.

We are waiting for the Great Tribulation to begin, when the nations are saying that we have "peace and security." (I Thessalonians 5:3) You see, from that scripture alone we can see that Armageddon comes after the Great Tribulation. Examine Matthew 24 and you will be able to see the signs of when the Great Tribulation will start, and it's before the destruction of the wicked of this world we live in now. Please check out Bible facts on www.jw.org.
We are now in what is called the "tribulation" (Matthew 24:4-14), when "false prophets will arise", along with famines, etc., in which many will die, which precedes the "great tribulation" (Matthew 24:14-29), which happens after the "kingdom" has been preached "for a witness to all nations", and "immediately" before the "stars fall from the sky" and the "sign of the son of man will appear in the sky" (Matthew 24:29-30) . "Armageddon"/Har-Magedon, is when the nations will be gathered together, and you have a "great earthquake", "every island fled away", the mountains were not found", "huge hailstones.. came down from heaven upon men", and the "cities of the nations fell" (Revelation 16:16-21). This will affect all men, and if the time was not shortened, no man would survive, but for the "elect" it was shortened. (Matthew 24:22) This would parallel Daniel 2:45, when the nations, from the head of gold, to the feet of iron and clay, will be crushed, and parallels Joel 3:1-2, whereas all the nations will "enter into judgment" in the valley of judgment (Jehoshaphat). While the nations/Gentiles will be "crushed", apparently they will have survivors, who will confess that "our fathers taught us lies" (Jeremiah 16:19).

As for the "devil/Satan/the dragon, etc., he will be tossed into the pit/abyss for 1000 years by an "angel coming down from heaven" (Revelation 20:1-4), at the beginning of the millennium, to be released for a "short time" after the millennium.

As for "peace and security", the politicians say you have to buy it, while they say mayhem is actually peaceful protest, leading to "peace and security", and yet many people believe them. It is best they repent now, and produce good fruit, or be cut off and thrown into the "fire" (Matthew 3:10). The "Word of God", would be from the Spirit of God. It is best one does not "reject" the "Word of God"/Spirit of Go, in favor of the word of the false prophets and their minions.