Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

God versus the Devil

Post #1

Post by Confused »

So the question for debate:

1) Do you believe in demonic possession?

2) Is there scripture to support the belief in possession or to refute the belief in demonic possession?

3) Is there a valid way to determine if a person is truly possessed or are they just bad people?

I am looking for originality here, not The Exorcist, nor the catholics interpretation of criteria and format for exorcism since they are privy only to a few select high ranking officials and cannot be held to scrutiny. I am especially interested in anything from the NT.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

ENIGMA
Sage

Re: God versus the Devil

Post #2

Post by ENIGMA »

Confused wrote:So the question for debate:

1) Do you believe in demonic possession?
Yes, but only until the mid-19th century when Satan sold the right to cause epilepsy and other mental conditions to "Evil Neurotransmitters, Inc.". that currently has the patent on all sorts of mental ailments as well as a good number of physical ones. Spiritual capitalism at work, folks!
2) Is there scripture to support the belief in possession or to refute the belief in demonic possession?
Jesus seemed to cast demons out of things a few times. according to scripture at least.
3) Is there a valid way to determine if a person is truly possessed or are they just bad people?
Simple, knock them out, open up their skull, yank their brain out, and check it for any abnormalities. Afterwards, just try to put everything back where you left it, and with any luck nobody will notice. Note that reassembly is likely to go a good bit quicker if the demons are, in fact, posessing said brain.
I am looking for originality here, not The Exorcist, nor the catholics interpretation of criteria and format for exorcism since they are privy only to a few select high ranking officials and cannot be held to scrutiny. I am especially interested in anything from the NT.
I aim to please. :whistle:
Gilt and Vetinari shared a look. It said: While I loathe you and all of your personal philosophy to a depth unplummable by any line, I will credit you at least with not being Crispin Horsefry [The big loud idiot in the room].

-Going Postal, Discworld