Resurrection

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Noose001
Apprentice

Resurrection

Post #1

Post by Noose001 »

Biblical Ressurection; The idea that dead believers' spirits immediately transit into living believers minds, why not? I.e. the dead believers resurrect immediately and indwell the living belivers here on earth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Resurrection

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

A kind of reincarnation/corporel possession? Sounds horrific to me, what happens to the real me once some dead person has taken control of my body?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Noose001 »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am A kind of reincarnation/corporel possession? Sounds horrific to me, what happens to the real me once some dead person has taken control of my body?
If the spirit Christ indwells you, do you cease to be you? It is the same thing, "christ cometh with 1000s of his saints"

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:09 am A kind of reincarnation/corporel possession? Sounds horrific to me, what happens to the real me once some dead person has taken control of my body?
Jehovah is kind enough to prevent you from remembering.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #5

Post by Noose001 »

The spirit of Elijah indwelled John, i wonder if John knew it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Noose001 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm The spirit of Elijah indwelled John, i wonder if John knew it.
If you are referring to this passage:
Luke 1:17 and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.
It does not teach that Elijah indwelled John, but rather that he would go "before him in the spirit and power of Elijah."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Noose001 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 am Biblical Ressurection; The idea that dead believers' spirits immediately transit into living believers minds, why not? I.e. the dead believers resurrect immediately and indwell the living belivers here on earth.
I wasn't aware that's where the spirit resided, in one's mind. If that's where it goes in a resurrection I assume it would go into that of an infant. No? Otherwise wouldn't it really mess with a child, whom I'm told already have their own spirit?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #8

Post by onewithhim »

Noose001 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm The spirit of Elijah indwelled John, i wonder if John knew it.
It wasn't Elijah's spirit body, like John with the spirit body of Elijah possessing him. No, Elijah's "spirit" was Elijah's mind-set and ways of thinking (his impelling mental inclination) that influenced John the Baptist. Humans do not have spirits within them that are conscious and go on living after the death of the person. The Bible does not say that anywhere. Can you show me exactly where you get that idea? When a person dies he is dead and is conscious of NOTHING. (Ecclesiastes 9:5) It is as if he was in a deep sleep from which he wakes up only when Jesus institutes the Resurrection "in the last day." (John 5:28; John 6:40,44; John 11:11)

Elijah was a man of much drive and force in his zealous service to God, and Elisha sought a two-part share in Elijah's spirit, or, impelling mental inclination, as his successor (2Kings2:9,15) John the Baptist demonstrated the same vigorous drive and energetic zeal that Elijah had shown, and this resulted in John's having a powerful effect on his listeners; hence he could be said to have gone forth "with Elijah's spirit and power." (Luke 1:17)

See page 1026 of Volume 2 of Insight on the Scriptures.

Checkpoint
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by Checkpoint »

Noose001 wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:44 am Biblical Ressurection; The idea that dead believers' spirits immediately transit into living believers minds, why not? I.e. the dead believers resurrect immediately and indwell the living belivers here on earth.
Why not?

Good question.

Because the idea is neither biblical nor resurrection.

Noose001
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by Noose001 »

Checkpoint wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:42 am

Why not?

Good question.

Because the idea is neither biblical nor resurrection.
Then you have no idea.