What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #1

Post by William »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."

Miles
Savant

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #51

Post by Miles »

Grunt0311 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm You cannot steal what you own. Sentencing to death for breaking God’s law is not murder it is justice administered. God destroyed evil which isn’t the same as destroying because you hate God.
What are you talking about: "God destroyed evil" ? God creates evil. He even said so himself.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Grunt0311
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Grunt0311 »

God destroyed those in S&G who committed abominable acts against nature.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #53

Post by onewithhim »

To answer the question, it's very simple: A true Christian listens to Christ and does what he tells us to do. He said:

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments." (John 14:15)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #54

Post by onewithhim »

William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:30 pm
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."
(Sorry---I posted something here that was meant for Miles.)
Last edited by onewithhim on Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #55

Post by onewithhim »

Miles wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm
Grunt0311 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:00 pm You cannot steal what you own. Sentencing to death for breaking God’s law is not murder it is justice administered. God destroyed evil which isn’t the same as destroying because you hate God.
What are you talking about: "God destroyed evil" ? God creates evil. He even said so himself.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

You are grossly misrepresenting Jehovah. He "creates evil" only in the sense that when people turn against him (e.g., worship other gods) he leaves them to their own devices (as he warned them he would) and the results of that are that the people find themselves on hard times, which they brought on themselves. Jehovah letting them be is the way that evil is "created" for them.

William
Savant

Post #56

Post by William »

[Replying to onewithhim in post #55]
You are grossly misrepresenting Jehovah. He "creates evil" only in the sense that when people turn against him (e.g., worship other gods) he leaves them to their own devices (as he warned them he would) and the results of that are that the people find themselves on hard times, which they brought on themselves. Jehovah letting them be is the way that evil is "created" for them.
I am not sure you are representing יהוה any better with your explanation because there are defined incidence where evil is created by יהוה - such as the curse placed upon Human Women in the Garden story, the flooding of the Earth in the Noah story, and the plagues of nature in the Freeing the slaves of Egypt story, just to name 3 incidents where יהוה creates evil, and which align perfectly enough with the claim "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

Seems to me that the addition of another entity with almost the same powers but working in opposition, is an extra unnecessary layer, given the evidence. A misrepresentation in itself.

Grunt0311
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by Grunt0311 »

Eve represented women who received the curse. Eve disobeyed God creating the “evil” consequences” when God flooded the earth it was in response to people living “evil”.The plaques were in response to pharaoh not releasing the Hebrews as God commanded.Every incident you will find in scripture of what you call “evil” on God’s part is God responding to and judging mankind’s evil doings. There are consequences for sinning and disobeying God.

Tcg
Savant

Post #58

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to William in post #1]

It's not complex. A Christian is one who follows what they believe to be the teachings of Jesus Christ. It matters not what they believe those teachings are given that no one can produce a verifiable and objective nature to comprehend what they are.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #59

Post by Purple Knight »

tam wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:09 pmThe phrase you use 'engaging in warfare' doesn't sit quite right to me. Something just seems off to me about that. Perhaps because it implies going out and looking for a fight, and not something that comes from love.
Reminds me of how, in a school, one kid can get pummeled and never raise a hand back, but his parents are called too and he gets the same talking-to as the kid who pummeled him, probably worse, because the parents of the bully hardly care what their kid does, whereas the parents of the victim take notice if the school says he did something wrong, because without discipline, he would be the bully.

Eventually it will come down to, "Well, what did you do to provoke him?"

Gotta take your side on this one.

Miles
Savant

Post #60

Post by Miles »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:39 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Fine, but I'll need chapters and verses substantiating your claims. What ya got?