What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #1

Post by William »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:06 am
William wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:19 am [Replying to Tcg in post #760]
In any case it wasn't some rebellion against God as some theists may be likely to presume.
IF they call themselves "Christian" THEN it is safe to say that they will presume exactly that.

All of them or just Some?
Q: All of them or just Some?

This is a question which appears to have no answer which can be agreed to.

QFD: Does that make the question itself, rhetorical?

Rhetorical = Along the lines of - "a question asked in order to create a dramatic effect or to make a point rather than to get an answer."

William
Savant

Re: What Makes a Christian a Christian - Does Anyone Know?

Post #31

Post by William »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:13 pm
William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:55 pmIf we can agree together then, that this is why wars exist, Christians are therefore contributing to warfare,
I'm not sure if I can agree on that. In order to not cause any wars, the second someone else claims, "I am the true Purple Knight, you are false, defy me and suffer," I would have to roll over and change my name just because they threaten force. I don't think I have to do that. As silly as it is, I think I can at least defend myself if I think I'm in the right.

And honestly if I tell the windbag no, it's my name, you draw your sword and I draw mine, he's going to walk away and continue calling himself the "real" Purple Knight.

Better still if he lets it be known he was a windbag from the outset and never really had a sword.

And this is usually what modern Christians do. They allow the split. Nobody uses any force. To be fair though, perhaps they ought to, since allowing every split has diluted the term to, as this thread has shown, the point of meaninglessness.
So with that, are you perhaps saying there is no point in entering conflict with Christians and their warring ways, even if they are the ones who draw their swords first, because it is their conflict not yours?
And there is nothing to their threats anyway...at least nothing but promise of their God dealing with you for not seeing it their way, in some future - apparently unpleasant - event yet to unfold for you?

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by Purple Knight »

William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:23 pmSo with that, are you perhaps saying there is no point in entering conflict with Christians and their warring ways, even if they are the ones who draw their swords first, because it is their conflict not yours?
I'm conflicted because if we simply allow every banner to be stolen, used by anyone who wants it for anything they want it for, then we lose meaningful use of language. I'm a potato if I want to be. Gonna stop me? Well now we've lost the use of the word potato.

However, even for the worst banner in existence - a swastika - there is more than one person who wants it, each projecting a little bit of his personal ideal onto it and scrumming furiously with others who are merely doing the same, and I can't really justify taking a side.

William
Savant

Post #33

Post by William »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:29 pm
William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:23 pmSo with that, are you perhaps saying there is no point in entering conflict with Christians and their warring ways, even if they are the ones who draw their swords first, because it is their conflict not yours?
I'm conflicted because if we simply allow every banner to be stolen, used by anyone who wants it for anything they want it for, then we lose meaningful use of language. I'm a potato if I want to be. Gonna stop me? Well now we've lost the use of the word potato.

However, even for the worst banner in existence - a swastika - there is more than one person who wants it, each projecting a little bit of his personal ideal onto it and scrumming furiously with others who are merely doing the same, and I can't really justify taking a side.
So which is it for you then? Continue with the conflict or cease with the conflict?

It seem to me as this thread is showing, that the word Christian or the expression "I am a Christian" is meaningless already, so we have lost the use of the word in any meaningful way, and perhaps the word never really had a meaning from the go-get - not a word with any standard application anyway.

At least the word 'potato' has practical application, because If I asked you to show me a potato, you probably could, easily enough.

tam
Savant

Post #34

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

I am confused by what you mean when you use the word 'warfare', William.

Are you referring to disagreement as part of that? Are you asking if Christ told His disciples that they are not permitted to defend their faith or to speak truth or bear witness to Him - if others disagree and/or argue against?

William
Savant

Post #35

Post by William »

tam wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 pm Peace to you,

Are you referring to disagreement as part of that? Are you asking if Christ told His disciples that they are not permitted to defend their faith or to speak truth or bear witness to Him - if others disagree and/or argue against?
Yes Tam. Any of those and all of those constitute warfare in the context I am using the word.

Not just physical warfare.

tam
Savant

Post #36

Post by tam »

Peace again to you,
William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:53 pm
tam wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 pm Peace to you,

Yes Tam. Any of those and all of those constitute warfare in the context I am using the word.

Not just physical warfare.
Well... Christ did not defer to the Pharisees (or anyone else) if they were not speaking in truth, but instead He spoke the truth, regardless of whether others accepted or refrained, even if some might be offended by that truth. He did so out of love (for His Father, for others). And truth is important. How can one correct oneself - if need be - if one does not know what is true?

Christ also said that we would be hated, etc, on account of His name; and that we would have trouble in this world (but to take heart because He has overcome the world). We are not to curse, or to hate, or to strike (first OR in return), of course, but we can certainly bear witness to Christ, and to His word and teaching, expound the truth more accurately if able (as in the case with Priscilla and Aquila to Apollos, Acts 18).

Did you disagree with any of that, per se?

Peace again.

William
Savant

Post #37

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #36]
I am not sure why you are asking Tam.

Are you suggesting that somehow these are not acts of warfare?

Are they more like the acts of civilians caught up in a war that they did not create and have no part in?

Is it not the case that if someone is told to spread their religion as 'The Truth' that this act would naturally enough provoke those who hear to ask "why?"

And is it not also the case that you bring this into a debating situation [battleground] and expect to be battled on account of that?

Is it fair for someone to set themselves up this way with others, and when others react defensively, or ask for evidence to support the claim, to counter-claim that the action of defense is really a case of attacking that which 'is only trying to tell others what The Truth is' and claim on top of that, that the acts of defensiveness are acts of persecuting the 'teller of the truth'?

Does any of that dynamic ring true with you?

Did biblical Jesus ask his followers to TELL people the truth, or to SHOW people the truth?

Either way or even both, the point is, if the truth is not seen to be evidential in the witness of Christians, what else can one expect but warfare? It is not like the Christians are retreating.

Like I alluded to - warfare is not just a physical thing. There are all kinds of ways in which to fight, and it appears quite obvious to me that the Earth has been the ground in which such battles have been, and continue to be, fought.

Do you think that what I am saying is The Truth...not as in 'the whole/complete truth' but as something which is verifiable matter of fact and thus belongs with The Truth?

You see, I think you may not think that you are hereabout to fight, but The Truth is, you are hereabouts to fight.

Can you agree to that?

I certainly can, re why I am here - which is why I changed my avatar to suit.
One might claim that they do not LIKE the idea of having to argue their particular take on 'what is truth' but if one is active in a debating environment, one is participating in the war going on therein.

And to that point, stating one is here for the purpose of peace, is only going to attract poking swords and getting pushed around, so what "weapons" [defensive and attacking] do you use to deal with that?

Does The Christ speak of weapons his followers should carry?

If so, then yes, you are here for warfare.

Agreed?

tam
Savant

Post #38

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:20 pm [Replying to tam in post #36]
I am not sure why you are asking Tam.
Because of the question about what Christ said one could or should do as a Christian.

Are you suggesting that somehow these are not acts of warfare? Are they more like the acts of civilians caught up in a war that they did not create and have no part in?
I would not suggest that bearing witness to Christ, or speaking of what one has learned from Him, are acts of warfare. Unless one is forcing another person to accept or defer (or in the case of crusades and other events that forced people to convert). Granted, after a lengthy and/or heated discussion/disagreement, one can certainly feel as though one has been through battle, lol. So I have a sense of what you mean if that is all you mean by it.

I am reminded about a discussion I had (in person) with a dear JW lady (who I have known for many years). At the end of it, she said that she felt like she had just been through battle, and then she tried to take that comment back. But she said what she meant - she just didn't mean to say it aloud. But I understood. Because I had mentioned that I learned something we were speaking about from Christ, and she kept saying that I had learned it on my own (complimenting me with my personal studies, but also undermining that I could have heard and learned from Christ), and I had to keep correcting her 'correction' (no, I learned that from Christ), and that continued throughout the conversation, and I ALSO felt like I had been through a battle, lol.

But I am not that dear woman's enemy. I was not there to hurt her or attempt to injure her. I was there by invitation and out of love (for God, for His Son, for truth, for her and anyone else present).

Is it not the case that if someone is told to spread their religion as 'The Truth' that this act would naturally enough provoke those who hear to ask "why?"
With some, sure. There are all kinds of religions and people out there claiming to have the one true religion or claiming to speak truth, etc. I am not provoked into asking why. I don't wish to do battle with them either, but if they did come to me, I might engage in the hopes of sharing something of Christ, truth, with them.

And is it not also the case that you bring this into a debating situation [battleground] and expect to be battled on account of that?
I expect disagreement and argument (I expect those things from past experience and because Christ said to expect even worse, and I have been on other forums where there is some serious personal attacks and hate), but I am not enemy to any person on this forum. I came here to hopefully be able to expound the truth more accurately, to share as my Lord has taught me, to bear witness to Him and to the truth He teaches.

Obviously that is going to bring opposition, but that is not a reason to remain silent. Perhaps a reason to stop with a particular person, though.
Is it fair for someone to set themselves up this way with others, and when others react defensively, or ask for evidence to support the claim, to counter-claim that the action of defense is really a case of attacking that which 'is only trying to tell others what The Truth is' and claim on top of that, that the acts of defensiveness are acts of persecuting the 'teller of the truth'?
I have never suggested that someone asking for evidence means that they are attacking or persecuting the person making a claim.
Does any of that dynamic ring true with you?
I've seen it happen, but that is not something I think.
Did biblical Jesus ask his followers to TELL people the truth, or to SHOW people the truth?
Christ told us to be His witnesses. That can include telling and showing. But certainly He told us to follow the example He set, which includes TELLING people the truth (assuming we have received such from Him TO tell).

Either way or even both, the point is, if the truth is not seen to be evidential in the witness of Christians, what else can one expect but warfare? It is not like the Christians are retreating.
Can you describe what you think 'retreat' would look like from a Christian?

Like I alluded to - warfare is not just a physical thing. There are all kinds of ways in which to fight, and it appears quite obvious to me that the Earth has been the ground in which such battles have been, and continue to be, fought.

Do you think that what I am saying is The Truth...not as in 'the whole/complete truth' but as something which is verifiable matter of fact and thus belongs with The Truth?

You see, I think you may not think that you are hereabout to fight, but The Truth is, you are hereabouts to fight.

Can you agree to that?

I certainly can, re why I am here - which is why I changed my avatar to suit.
One might claim that they do not LIKE the idea of having to argue their particular take on 'what is truth' but if one is active in a debating environment, one is participating in the war going on therein.

And to that point, stating one is here for the purpose of peace, is only going to attract poking swords and getting pushed around, so what "weapons" [defensive and attacking] do you use to deal with that?

Not Christ (unless you are referring to the account with the sword and Peter, but Peter was rebuked by Christ for using that sword to strike and injure another person). But Paul did speak about armor (when he spoke about the kind of struggle we are involved in):

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14 Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.

Peace again to you.

William
Savant

Post #39

Post by William »

[Replying to tam in post #38]
Not Christ (unless you are referring to the account with the sword and Peter, but Peter was rebuked by Christ for using that sword to strike and injure another person). But Paul did speak about armor (when he spoke about the kind of struggle we are involved in):

Luke 22:32-38 - is that your Lord speaking or someone else?

Did Paul-who-was-Saul follow your Lord, or someone else?

Are we not using our words in the same way that weapons are used. Are we not fighting?

I am not so sure that you need to be concerned that you are involved in warfare Tam. I am unconvinced in your telling of it.

You and the JW you met, were indeed involved in warfare and a battle was indeed had.
Last edited by William on Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tam
Savant

Post #40

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
William wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:06 pm [Replying to tam in post #38]

Luke 22:32-38 - is that your Lord speaking or someone else?
That is the account I am referring to in brackets above.
Did Paul-who-was-Saul follow your Lord, or someone else?
He followed my Lord (I mean, after the road to Damascus experience).

Peace to you.