The Almighty and Fear

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The Almighty and Fear

Post #1

Post by William »

I was thinking earlier that Almighty - being two words made into one...All and Mighty;
Search "Almighty Meaning"
having complete power; omnipotent.

Such a being should easily be able to experience being frightened.

QFD: If an All Mighty Entity [AME] could frighten itself, how would it go about doing so?

For the arrows of the Almighty are within me, the poison whereof drinketh up my spirit: the terrors of God do set themselves in array against me. Job 6:4

onewithhim
Savant

Re: The Almighty and Fear

Post #11

Post by onewithhim »

theophile wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:58 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:36 pm [Replying to William in post #1]

Job had wrong ideas about Jehovah to some extent, and he was straightened out by Elihu (Job 32 through 37) and by Jehovah Himself (Job 38 through 41). Jehovah never wanted to punish people or have them possess a morbid fear of Him. Job's three false friends spoke to him as if Jehovah was very mean.

All Jehovah wants is for people to appreciate that He is the Creator and He wants only good to befall humans. He has said:

"...What is Jehovah requiring of you? Only to exercise justice, to cherish loyalty, and to walk in modesty with your God." (Micah 6:8)

This is a bit off topic, but I can't help myself. What "wrong ideas" did Job have about God and did Elihu correct? God even says at the end (verse 42:7) that Job spoke true of God compared to the three friends.

Also, don't God's speeches to Job come across as just a little bit mean? They can easily be read as trying to put the fear of God into him.

Curious how you reconcile these mysteries.
Job was wrong at first about Jehovah, as we can see from what he said to his wife during his suffering. He said, "Should we accept only what is good from the true God and not accept also what is bad?" (Job 2:10) He thought Jehovah was the one bringing on all of his suffering, but was willing to accept it. He didn't know at the time that it was Satan who was causing him so much misery. Also, he was bent on declaring himself righteous and neglected to vindicate God. "Elihu the son of Barachel the Buzite of the family of Ram had become very angry. His anger blazed against Job for trying to prove himself right rather than God." (Job 32:2)

Job did speak true of God compared with the three false friends. They had "declared God wicked." (Job 32:3) Job never did that, but he was more interested in proving himself righteous than in defending Jehovah.

Jehovah's speaking in a little bit mean manner is really according to how the reader is perceiving it. One might see that Jehovah spoke to Job in a kind way. His pronouncements might come across as mild and instructive rather than harsh. It depends on one's view of Jehovah.

William
Savant

Post #12

Post by William »

Can the mods please split this tread from post 8 onwards. :?:

Sheila D
Student

Post #13

Post by Sheila D »

Possibly the idea of being righteous and turning evil - becoming totally opposite of himself.

William
Savant

Post #14

Post by William »

QFD: If an All Mighty Entity [AME] could frighten itself, how would it go about doing so?
Sheila D wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:38 pm Possibly the idea of being righteous and turning evil - becoming totally opposite of himself.
But being almighty means there are no opposites in which to 'become'.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #15

Post by onewithhim »

Sheila D wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:38 pm Possibly the idea of being righteous and turning evil - becoming totally opposite of himself.
What post are you referring to?

Sheila D
Student

Post #16

Post by Sheila D »

[Replying to William in post #14]

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

God created all things _ that includes the thinking process - the thoughts that all have. Didn't he?

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=KJV

God created two trees - the tree of life and the tree of knowledge of Good and evil. Didn't he?

God says he's a jealous God and he has plenty of wrath - justifiable yes, but still a part of him. We are all a part of him.

Is God the one who determines what is evil and unrighteous and what is not - that in itself supports my statement - "if" he were to fear anything it could be a **possibility** he could fear becoming, the as you wrote, the opposite of himself.
But as scripture says there is no unrighteousness in him and his ways never change.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to Sheila D in post #16]

You still haven't answered the OPQ.
How would the biblical god frighten itself?

Sheila D
Student

Post #18

Post by Sheila D »

[Replying to William in post #17]

My reply did answer the question - just not in the way you were looking for. The thought of being a certain way and taking the action of doing that thought.
You are seeking a step-by-step process - which is impossible to give - so I ask a simpler question - how does man go about frightening himself? Answer that and you have your possible answer.

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

Sheila D wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:10 pm [Replying to William in post #17]

My reply did answer the question - just not in the way you were looking for.
No - your reply simply gave links to biblical script which conveyed nothing in answer to the OPQ.

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.
And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The thought of being a certain way and taking the action of doing that thought.
So how does an almighty being go about frightening itself?

You are seeking a step-by-step process - which is impossible to give -
Bullet points will suffice. Why do you think it is impossible to say how this might be accomplished?

Post#2 shows clearly that it is not impossible for someone to offer a way in which this could be accomplished
so I ask a simpler question - how does man go about frightening himself? Answer that and you have your possible answer.
We know how humans frighten themselves. They produce events which make that possible.
That is what post #2 is referring to.

Sheila D
Student

Post #20

Post by Sheila D »

We know how humans frighten themselves they produced events _ events like what?
Ok - I said the same applies to God - God created humans, he gave the humans the minds to think, to create, any thought frightening or not originated from him in his creation process.
And I use your reasoning and apply it to my initial answer. What can God create to frighten himself - the thought of becoming the opposite.

And I might add in my initial answer I use the word possible / possibility at the beginning of my statement.
Nice talkin to you _ if I didn't answer your question suitable to you - that is fine - I retract it - will delete it if possible.