What did Christs sacrifice mean?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Confused
Site Supporter

What did Christs sacrifice mean?

Post #1

Post by Confused »

A doctor I work with recently told me that by refusing to acknowledge Christ as my lord and savior, I have condemned not only myself, but my children as well. He said this in the context that since my son has autism, he won't get better without help from christ and that medicine can only go so far. Funny to hear this from a neurosurgeon. My question is simple:

Did Christs crucifixion forgive mans sins? If so, does this not imply that the sins of the father will no longer be visited upon the son? There is no clear passage of this in the NT that I can find so I am fishing for opinions and obscure passages that either support this or oppose this.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: What did Christs sacrifice mean?

Post #11

Post by Confused »

topaz wrote:
Confused wrote: Please don't take offense to this comment, it isn't intended to be condescending, just very FORCEFUL: It would be a cold day in hell (should it exist) before I would allow any faith based religion to pray over my son again. Religion (christian/catholic) has done enough damage, i will never allow it to relate to my son again in regards to his Autism. If you had the ability to cure this child, despite the disbelief of the party who requested your prayer, then shame on you. How dare you claim you could heal an innocent child, then not because of his parents. You condemned that child. Shame, shame, shame on you.
In the first place, I am not a healer. I do not claim to have any ability to cure anyone but God does. It was out of kindness that I accede to someone’s prayer request … and he is not a child, you’re too presumptuous and judgmental.

Second, when I find the requester unable to accept my feedback, then I see no point to rock the boat further, to cause upset. The bible says all things should be done in faith. Where there is no faith, nothing happens. I made a decision based on this. You prejudge me harshly and you’re a very rude person.

Third, shame on me ? Why … b/c I didn’t do what you think I shd. I think the shame is on you for speaking this way. Aren’t you suppose to act civil around here ? Also, I didn’t offer to pray for your son. One bad experience is a lesson for life. It is better to pray for someone whom you can see, than for a stranger whose attitude projects trouble.

I mentioned demon-possession as a possible cause for autism as a sharing experience. I thought you might want to know this and explore a way to heal your son. Your attitude speaks for itself.

Have a good day.
As I stated initially, I had no intention to be disrespecful in my posting. I am not trying to judge you. But if you had the ablility to heal this person, and you didn't, in medicine, I would be charged with malpractice or involuntary manslaughter.

You are right, I am suppose to act civil. Unfortunately, of all the topics in the entire world you could have mentioned, you picked the one that hurt my son more than any medicine ever could. Imagine being 6 years old and told essentially, god has rejected you and left you to suffer with this illness, because that is the equivalent of what happened. I have explored dozens of ways to help my son. I discounted nothing. But this "faith healing" did harm, not good. You assume it was a one time bad experience, wrong. I was stupid enough to believe people when they said my lack of faith was the reason my son got sicker and that I was preventing them from curing him. Now, I am in medicine, so I am not an idiot. But I can only claim temporary insanity to allow these people to convice me of what you have claimed.

Once again, I apologize for the forcefullness and harsh tone I used in my post. It wasn't intended to be a personal attack per se.

So forgetting all that, how did your post relate to this thread? Did christs sacrifice mean the the sins of the father are no longer visited upon the son?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #12

Post by methylatedghosts »

Wow, I literally thought my computer had somehow jumped threads. I thought this was debating jesus's sacrifice thing, not demon possessions

So to take this back to the TS,

I don't take much notice of the bible, because I don't think it is an good source on all that much. Maybe a smidgen of history, but thats about it. So I'm not going to argue using bible passages.

I do believe that a man called Jesus existed at some point. I believe he was a son of god - but I also believe we ALL are so that automatically includes him, and makes him not-so-special.

Please note, the following are my beliefs. I just don't want to say "I believe" at every sentence... gets tedious.

Jesus was crucified because people didn't like him and what he taught. Simple as that really. No divine purpose. As for sin, there is no such thing. God has no rules, we can do what we like, because it is part of our experience. You can choose who you want to be, without needing to fear a loving God. Jesus is just like Buddha, Krishna, Muhammad etc. These are all people who have become enlightened and know god - have become god. We can all become this, and all it takes is to live and experience. When you know you are god, you can do anything. Jesus knew this, therefore the healing the sick etc. We have no sin, because, if there was sin, God would already have it forgiven.
Last edited by methylatedghosts on Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ye are Gods

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Confused »

Can anyone one please tell me, what did the sacrifice of "Jesus Christ" stand for"? Did his sacrifice give all mankind a clean slate from birth? Where in the new testament does it say his death cleansed man from the original sin? Does this mean that God no longer holds man against the standards of his parents? What are the implications of this?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Goose

Post #14

Post by Goose »

Confused wrote:1. A doctor I work with recently told me that by refusing to acknowledge Christ as my lord and savior, I have condemned not only myself, but my children as well...

2. Did Christs crucifixion forgive mans sins?
1. That is a distortion of mainstream Christian belief. It's certainly not what I believe. Nor is it scripturally correct. How can your children be resonsible for your descisions?

2. No, not in the context of a blanket forgiveness for all. Only for those that have heard the Gospel and have chosen to believe in Christ as their saviour.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Confused »

Goose wrote:
Confused wrote:1. A doctor I work with recently told me that by refusing to acknowledge Christ as my lord and savior, I have condemned not only myself, but my children as well...

1. That is a distortion of mainstream Christian belief. It's certainly not what I believe. Nor is it scripturally correct. How can your children be resonsible for your descisions?

2. No, not in the context of a blanket forgiveness for all. Only for those that have heard the Gospel and have chosen to believe in Christ as their saviour.
Great. Now clarify for me again, how does this answer my question? What did his sacrifice mean???? And does this meaning include us no longer paying for the sins of our father????
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein

Goose

Post #16

Post by Goose »

Confused wrote:
Goose wrote:

Great. Now clarify for me again, how does this answer my question? 1. What did his sacrifice mean???? 2. And does this meaning include us no longer paying for the sins of our father????
Your question was:
Confused wrote: Did Christs crucifixion forgive mans sins? If so, does this not imply that the sins of the father will no longer be visited upon the son?
I thought I did answer this. But I'll take a stab. Here's how it was explained to me.

1. If we assume God is perfectly just, good, sinless, honorable etc. We will never live up to his standard. God sent his son Christ to bridge the gap so to speak between us and himself. To be a mediator if you will. So his sacrifice meant nothing if you choose to reject him. It means everything if you choose to accept him as your saviour.

2. I do not know of any scripture in the New Testament that says if you do not choose to accept Christ you have damned your children in that context. In other words it has nothing to with the sins of our fathers. It is entirely the individual's decision.

Confused
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Confused »

Goose wrote:
Confused wrote:
Goose wrote:

Great. Now clarify for me again, how does this answer my question? 1. What did his sacrifice mean???? 2. And does this meaning include us no longer paying for the sins of our father????
Your question was:
Confused wrote: Did Christs crucifixion forgive mans sins? If so, does this not imply that the sins of the father will no longer be visited upon the son?
I thought I did answer this. But I'll take a stab. Here's how it was explained to me.

1. If we assume God is perfectly just, good, sinless, honorable etc. We will never live up to his standard. God sent his son Christ to bridge the gap so to speak between us and himself. To be a mediator if you will. So his sacrifice meant nothing if you choose to reject him. It means everything if you choose to accept him as your saviour.

2. I do not know of any scripture in the New Testament that says if you do not choose to accept Christ you have damned your children in that context. In other words it has nothing to with the sins of our fathers. It is entirely the individual's decision.
Since it wasnt' addressed in the NT, should we assume the OT laws are still in effect for this subject? I refer to Exodus 20:4-6 You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow to them or worship them, for I, the Lord, your God, am a jealous God punishing the sins of the fathers to the third and fourth generations of those wo hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. This is how I could interpret this: my family never spoke of relgion in my house. The word God was only used in a negative connontation. His name was cursed by my parents and siblings alike (myself included). My grandfather was a devout man who followed God's word to the letter. So I can only assume this punishment for generations for my fathers sins was to begin with my generation and carry on for at least 3 more. Correct. DId Christs sacrifice absolve us of these sins/curses. Are we no longer to pay for the sins of our fathers?
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine

-Harvey Fierstein