Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Why not just Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Veridican »

Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels? Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history? :?:
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

onewithhim
Savant

Re: Why not just Jesus?

Post #131

Post by onewithhim »

Veridican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:28 am SHOULD CHRISTIANS LIMIT THEIR CANON TO THE GOSPELS?

Certain groups and individuals reject much of the traditional bible canon and argue that Christians should only accept the gospels and the book of Revelation as being of Divine origin.
Uh, yeah, JW, that would be me and my Church. And we're the only ones who believe that way.
And just why would you leave out the Hebrew Scriptures, because Jesus quoted from them all the way through the Gospels?

cms

Post #132

Post by cms »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 pm Anyone that wants a complete picture of the ministry of Christ must recognise the value of the book of Acts, and since Jesus is "The Word" a true account of his words and actions must logically be included in Christian canon.
JW, John 21:25 " And there are also many other things which Jesus did ( and said, I'd assume) that if they should all be written down, even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."

We don't have the complete ministry of Christ. But, it's all summed up in one Word: Love others as yourself.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #133

Post by Veridican »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:00 pm
None of this addressed the point about whether the book of ACTS should be accepted as biblical canon. I made several points as to why, in my opinon, it should. If you wish to address M'y argument with biblical counterargument feel free.

JW
I think you're doing this just to irritate me, but nevertheless, as I said, I've already answered this question, and that's it. What I will do is cut and paste my previous response when you asked this three times ago:

(Personally, I believe the writer of Luke wrote his Gospel to refute the so-called "apostles." I think he wrote acts for the same reason. I think he wrote those to show just how far off base, for instance, Peter had strayed from the teachings Jesus gave during the Last Supper. When you compare what is going on in Acts with the Gospel of Luke, it is like reading the Gospel of Mark on a park bench at the Vatican Palace. You ask yourself: How in the hell did one come from the other?)

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #134

Post by Veridican »

onewithhim wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:20 pm And just why would you leave out the Hebrew Scriptures, because Jesus quoted from them all the way through the Gospels?
Jesus quoted them because those were the scriptures when he was on Earth. They spoke about him. Great. I have lots of copies of the Bible in lots of different translations. But, I only follow Jesus Christ. We are now in a new covenant with God. The only books we should canonize are the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. The rest is for historical reference and background information, or early Christian opinion, as in the letters of the New Testament.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #135

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:52 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:45 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:38 pm
cms wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:50 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 am The lack of convincing evidence for the existence of god.
Miles, I think everyone has a god-meaning an authority that you live by. For example, if someone told you to kill babies, would you do it? From your previous responses, I'd say that the authority (god) that you live by says no. There are obviously laws that control things in our world for example, the law of gravity. Is there a natural law ( God) that mankind is supposed to live by?
Prove it. Prove that there's "a god-meaning an authority that [ I ] live by." Heck! Simply prove there's any god at all. All I've seen are claims of his existence, and not a solitary piece of convincing evidence. Throw me a bone here: one solid, incontrovertible piece of evidence is all I ask

There are many gods. Most having to do with the worship of demons, the children of the heavenly watchers, who preach to eat the tree of the knowledge good and evil and determine between what is good and evil from their own twisted hearts. You can follow your false prophet, in the form of Marx, the false prophets Paul or Mohammad, but in the end, their authority rests with the state, whether the Muslim state, the Marxist state, or the Roman/Christian state, etc. In the current environment, the ruling authorities are leaning more in the godless Marxist realm, whereas the godless try and form the state into godless/lawless state, where in the end, they will all end in destruction. The proof is in the pudding. The more Progressive, lawless, godless, a state is, the closer they are to destruction, in terms of natural, or man-made events. The more Progressive, lawless, cities, such as Portland, Los Angelos, New York, the closer they are to collapse. On the other hand, one can repent and turn from lawlessness, and keep the Law given by God, and hope to "escape" the coming "destruction". When "destruction" comes, it is too late for the lawless to admit to their demented actions. The best they can hope and pray for is a quick end, but that is not assured (Revelation 9:6). I don't know what else I can tell you.
Yeah, I pretty much figured this would be too much to ask. Thanks anyway.

"Convincing evidence in the eye of the beholder". Not all have eyes to see or ears to hear.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #136

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm What I will do is cut and paste my previous response when you asked this three times ago:

(Personally, I believe the writer of Luke wrote his Gospel to refute the so-called "apostles." I think he wrote acts for the same reason. I think he wrote those to show just how far off base, for instance, Peter had strayed from the teachings Jesus gave during the Last Supper. When you compare what is going on in Acts with the Gospel of Luke, it is like reading the Gospel of Mark on a park bench at the Vatican Palace. You ask yourself: How in the hell did one come from the other?)
Was there a part of "biblical" you are having trouble understanding?

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:00 pmIf you wish to address my argument with biblical counterargument feel free.

You opinion is "white noise" for me, it carries no weight whatsoever. I skimmed over your response, saw there was no scrptural references and ignored it. (You seem to be insinuating that the is some kind of inconsistency between the gospels of Luke and the events of Acts but you provide nothing concrete) I was asking if you could provide scriptures, to justify rejecting Jesus actions therein as canon ?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #137

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:11 pm
onewithhim wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:20 pm And just why would you leave out the Hebrew Scriptures, because Jesus quoted from them all the way through the Gospels?
Jesus quoted them because those were the scriptures when he was on Earth. They spoke about him. Great. I have lots of copies of the Bible in lots of different translations. But, I only follow Jesus Christ. We are now in a new covenant with God. The only books we should canonize are the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. The rest is for historical reference and background information, or early Christian opinion, as in the letters of the New Testament.
The "letters of the New Testament" are mostly from the false prophet Paul (Matthew 7:13-23). The teachings of Yeshua were the bringing to light the meaning of the Law and the Prophets, in the form of preaching the kingdom to come. The kingdom is most distinctly written about in Ezekiel 37, whereas the house of Judah, will be combined with the house of Ephraim, to reform the house of Israel, under the kingship of "My servant David", on the land given to Jacob, and to keep all of "My statutes". Matthew 13 describes the process leading to that kingdom, where the tares, the lawless/wicked, are allowed to reign until the "end of the age" (Matthew 13:30), whereupon they will be gathered and burned. Your "letters" would be described in Matthew 13 as the seed/message of the "enemy"/"devil".

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #138

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:07 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:00 pm
None of this addressed the point about whether the book of ACTS should be accepted as biblical canon. I made several points as to why, in my opinon, it should. If you wish to address M'y argument with biblical counterargument feel free.

JW
I think you're doing this just to irritate me, but nevertheless, as I said, I've already answered this question, and that's it. What I will do is cut and paste my previous response when you asked this three times ago:

No one knows who this "Luke" guy is, except that in Luke 1:1-3, he says he just cited stories from unnamed sources. As for Acts, the same is true, and rumor is that this unknown Luke guy might have actually written Acts. You have a non-witness refute actual witnesses. That and 5 dollars will generally get you a cup of coffee.

cms

Post #139

Post by cms »

Miles wrote: Prove it. Prove that there's "a god-meaning an authority that [ I ] live by." Heck! Simply prove there's any god at all. All I've seen are claims of his existence, and not a solitary piece of convincing evidence. Throw me a bone here: one solid, incontrovertible piece of evidence is all I ask
Miles, of course there are "gods". The fact that we've established a difference between right and wrong proves it. Where there's a law, rule, authority, etc. there's a lord, sovereign, ruler or "god". The question is, are we our own "gods" or is there a higher power by which we see and know the difference?

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #140

Post by Veridican »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm You opinion is "white noise" for me, it carries no weight whatsoever.
Then stop bugging me.