Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Why not just Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Veridican »

Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels? Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history? :?:
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why not just Jesus?

Post #101

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Veridican wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:05 pm God to me is only what I see in Jesus Christ.
And how do know what is" in Jesus "? Is it not at least initially, by reading inspired scripture? Are not the gospels the writings of men that you believe? You believe the gospel writers as reporting divine truths but not the prophets some of whom spoke personally to God or Angels or the Great Prince himself?

I notice you did not address my earlier question ...
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:25 am ...do you view the writings of Moses, Daniel or any of the other PROPHETS as essentially differently from the writings of the Apostles and their associates?
  • Do you not think there is anything of DIVINE ORIGIN to learn about Jesus from the Hebrew scriptures?
Obviously in accepting the book of Revelation as Canon, you are accepting the post-resurrection activities of Christ, yet ...
  • are there not other books in existence such as the book of Acts that record Jesus words and actions after his death and resurrection?
  • By what criteria do you accept Revelations supposedly written by a gospel writer John but reject (as inspired) Acts written by another gospel writter LUKE ?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

cms

Post #102

Post by cms »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am You are aware, are you not, that Jesus didn't write a thing.
Yes. Every book that was ever written, was written by a human being.
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am
So, exactly what did Jesus keep?
The Word/Law of God: "Love others as yourself.", the Word by which we live and judge all things.

Miles
Savant

Post #103

Post by Miles »

cms wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:33 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am So, exactly what did Jesus keep?
The Word/Law of God: "Love others as yourself.", the Word by which we live and judge all things.
I assume this would also include god's other Word/laws, Word/laws such as: “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death" (Leviticus 20:13). So Jesus expects Christians to kill practicing gays, does he. Hmmmmm. . . . . . . . .

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #104

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm
cms wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:33 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:47 am So, exactly what did Jesus keep?
I assume this would also include god's other Word/laws, Word/laws such as: “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death" (Leviticus 20:13). So Jesus expects Christians to kill practicing gays, does he. Hmmmmm. . . . . . . . .

"Jesus" expects the lost either repent, turn from sin, produce good fruit, or be burned up (Matthew 3). The Gentile"Christians" are simply followers of the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" (Zechariah 11:17), Peter, and according to Matthew 7, are on the wide road to destruction, under the tutelage of the false prophets (Matthew 7:13-14) and will "fall" (Matthew 7:27). Those under the Greek/Gentile/nation gods (Daniel 10:20) will suffer the plagues of the nations (Revelations 18:4).

cms

Post #105

Post by cms »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm I assume this would also include god's other Word/laws, Word/laws such as: “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death" (Leviticus 20:13). So Jesus expects Christians to kill practicing gays, does he. Hmmmmm. . . . . . . . .
As I said before, there are errors in the Old Testament. Galatians 5:14 "All the Law is fulfilled in one word - Love your neighbor as yourself."
Does God expect Christians to kill practicing gays? My answer is definitely NOT.

Miles
Savant

Post #106

Post by Miles »

cms wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:26 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm I assume this would also include god's other Word/laws, Word/laws such as: “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death" (Leviticus 20:13). So Jesus expects Christians to kill practicing gays, does he. Hmmmmm. . . . . . . . .
As I said before, there are errors in the Old Testament. Galatians 5:14 "All the Law is fulfilled in one word - Love your neighbor as yourself."
Does God expect Christians to kill practicing gays? My answer is definitely NOT.
So just what criteria do you use in deciding whether or not something in the Bible is an error---I suspect it has to pass an "in accord with my theology" test. Yes?

cms

Post #107

Post by cms »

Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm So just what criteria do you use in deciding whether or not something in the Bible is an error---I suspect it has to pass an "in accord with my theology" test. Yes?
The one Word/Law of God: Love your neighbor as yourself. I like to ponder on what other people have to say. So, is there anything else? I may be missing something. What do you go by?

Miles
Savant

Post #108

Post by Miles »

cms wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:57 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:09 pm So just what criteria do you use in deciding whether or not something in the Bible is an error---I suspect it has to pass an "in accord with my theology" test. Yes?
The one Word/Law of God: Love your neighbor as yourself. I like to ponder on what other people have to say. So, is there anything else? I may be missing something. What do you go by?
The lack of convincing evidence for the existence of god.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #109

Post by Veridican »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 am The lack of convincing evidence for the existence of god.
Oh, there's all kinds of convincing evidence. Maybe you just don't want it. People love to see what they believe.
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

Miles
Savant

Post #110

Post by Miles »

Veridican wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:25 am
Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 am The lack of convincing evidence for the existence of god.
Oh, there's all kinds of convincing evidence.
Obviously convincing to you, and obviously not convincing to me.

Maybe you just don't want it.
And maybe you just need it.

People love to see what they believe.
And people love to believe whatever allays their fears.