Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Why not just Jesus?

Post #1

Post by Veridican »

Do you ever wonder why, if we are Christians, we don't just follow the Gospels? Like, they would be our only canon of scripture, everything else would just be for historical reference, wisdom, or good advice, but we would be followers of Jesus ONLY. He would be our only teacher. Our canon then would be Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, and Revelation. Why has there never even been a cult, or church, or denomination like that in all of history? :?:
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Why not just Jesus?

Post #141

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:24 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:57 pm You opinion is "white noise" for me, it carries no weight whatsoever.
Then stop bugging me.
Lol... there is a skip button on most computers that enables people to slide past any POSTS they do not wish to read. There is also the "ignore" option on the top of each post , so there really isnt any reason to expose yourself to material you find annoying.

For my part I'm happy to read any bible based anwser you may have. I admit I have never heard of your religion and its rare to come across a one that is so specific as to their chosen bible canon. It's not rare to find people that reject the Apostle Paul but you can never, in my experience, get them to openly admit how many books they accept in their own bible canon. I don't know if that is because they haven't thought things through or they are simply loathe to admit their bible has 43 not 66 books in it.

Your openess is refreshing, even though as demonstrated, it is illogical, inconsistent and in conflict with the teachings if Christ. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to expose this. I hope you make other POSTS like this'in the future , as it is always interesting for me to respond to something new.

No offense intended, have a great day,

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
Should true Christians denegrade Hebrew scripture ?
viewtopic.php?p=1065096#p1065096

Should true Christians limit their canon to the gospels?
viewtopic.php?p=1065014#p1065014

What does it mean that the bible is "inspired of God"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 65#p867965

Who do bible writers claim gave them the words they penned?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 08#p840508

Is there is evidence that the apocryphal books were NOT originally recognized as part of the inspired Scriptures?
viewtopic.php?p=838822#p838822

How should we view Iraneus' and other early catalogues?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 84#p923384

Does the idea of a Great Apostacy negate the authenticity of the bible canon?
viewtopic.php?p=1045515#p1045515
To read more please go to other posts related to...

BIBLE CANON , BIBLICAL COMPILATION and ...THE APOCRYPHA
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #142

Post by Veridican »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm
Your openess is refreshing, even though as demonstrated, it is illogical, inconsistent and in conflict with the teachings if Christ.
Nonsense. It's logically necessary--for anyone saying they believe in, put their faith in, and follow Jesus Christ. And it can't be in conflict with the teachings of Christ. We follow ONLY the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. The problem is, you're too close-minded to consider it. For you, it's a sin to even consider it. So, we'll just have to let God sort it out in the end. But if I'm right, and you've been exposed to the truth and rejected it. You're going to have to answer for that.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to expose this. I hope you make other POSTS like this'in the future , as it is always interesting for me to respond to something new.

I do take offense. And you have been offensive. You expect so much respect for your religion that is unanimously criticized and rejected by every other church in Christendom, and then you come around and insult me. You change the Bible and then defend it to me. What have you done for Christ? WHO ARE YOU in the Kingdom?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #143

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:48 pm
I do take offense.
Well, that is a shame, still life goes on. I have found the exchange enlightening and hope it is not our last.

Try and have an excellent day nonetheless, :wave:

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #144

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Veridican wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:48 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:49 pm
Your openess is refreshing, even though as demonstrated, it is illogical, inconsistent and in conflict with the teachings if Christ.
Nonsense. It's logically necessary--for anyone saying they believe in, put their faith in, and follow Jesus Christ. And it can't be in conflict with the teachings of Christ. We follow ONLY the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. The problem is, you're too close-minded to consider it. For you, it's a sin to even consider it. So, we'll just have to let God sort it out in the end. But if I'm right, and you've been exposed to the truth and rejected it. You're going to have to answer for that.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to expose this. I hope you make other POSTS like this'in the future , as it is always interesting for me to respond to something new.

I do take offense. And you have been offensive. You expect so much respect for your religion that is unanimously criticized and rejected by every other church in Christendom, and then you come around and insult me. You change the Bible and then defend it to me. What have you done for Christ? WHO ARE YOU in the Kingdom?
And who are you "in the kingdom"? (Matthew 5:19). Not to be supportive of the JWs, but to be "criticized and rejected" is what happened to Yeshua. You are going to have to come up with a better debating point. And exactly "what have you done for Christ"? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It is unseemly.

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Post #145

Post by Veridican »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:55 pm
Well, that us a shame, still life goes on.
Yeah, see: You couldn't care less. And you're going to come and preach religion to me? You're going to tell ME about Jesus Christ. You need to go check yourself.

Miles
Savant

Post #146

Post by Miles »

cms wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:44 pm
Miles wrote: Prove it. Prove that there's "a god-meaning an authority that [ I ] live by." Heck! Simply prove there's any god at all. All I've seen are claims of his existence, and not a solitary piece of convincing evidence. Throw me a bone here: one solid, incontrovertible piece of evidence is all I ask
Miles, of course there are "gods". The fact that we've established a difference between right and wrong proves it. Where there's a law, rule, authority, etc. there's a lord, sovereign, ruler or "god". The question is, are we our own "gods" or is there a higher power by which we see and know the difference?
Curious: What is your definition of "god"?

More curious: Why would establishing a difference between right and wrong prove the existence of gods? Got a syllogism or something working for you?

onewithhim
Savant

Post #147

Post by onewithhim »

cms wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:48 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:15 pm Anyone that wants a complete picture of the ministry of Christ must recognise the value of the book of Acts, and since Jesus is "The Word" a true account of his words and actions must logically be included in Christian canon.
JW, John 21:25 " And there are also many other things which Jesus did ( and said, I'd assume) that if they should all be written down, even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."

We don't have the complete ministry of Christ. But, it's all summed up in one Word: Love others as yourself.
Yes, and don't forget the other thing Jesus said was the greatest commandment: "You must love Jehovah your God with your whole mind and your whole soul..." That was what Jesus named first of all.

Avoice
Guru

Post #148

Post by Avoice »

[Replying to cms in post #77]

The prophet is Joshua. Go read and it will tell you

otseng
Savant

Post #149

Post by otseng »

[Replying to Veridican in post #142]

[Replying to Veridican in post #133]

[Replying to Veridican in post #145]

:warning: Moderator Warning

Please refrain from making uncivil and personal remarks.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

otseng
Savant

Post #150

Post by otseng »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:00 pm People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. It is unseemly.
Moderator Comment

Please do not comment on others.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.