A question for JWs

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

A question for JWs

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

How many of you can answer, without reaching out to "leadership" whether using this symbol to represent yourself as a Christian is right or wrong?

Go on, be honest and just answer or must you first thumb through pages and pages of regulations to get the answer?

Sherlock Holmes

Re: A question for JWs

Post #2

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Why no replies yet?

Could it be that nobody wants to commit to answer in case they get disfellowshipped for saying something naughty?

Perhaps headquarters are taking a while to reply to emails?

historia
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by historia »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:39 pm
Why no replies yet?
You're unlikely to get a response to any question on this forum after just one day.

Most people here have lives outside of this board.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:36 pm How many of you can answer, without reaching out to "leadership" whether using this symbol to represent yourself as a Christian is right or wrong?
Why would it be wrong?I personally think that good works and love should be the "symbol" of Christians, but, that fish symbol is not bad in my opinion.

...By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:34-35

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

There is nothing wrong with symbols and logos as long as they are not used to as a part of ones worship.

I would have to do some research on the fish symbol, but if its origins were primarily associated with spritism or false worship it is not something Jehovah's Witnesses would use.

Please NOTE To the best of my knowledge the other posters that have thus far responded to you are NOT Jehovahs Witnesses. I point this out because these posters did not do so and their answers might cause confusion as to the beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses
JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

ps: There is a subforum dedicated to asking questions of a particular group HERE
viewforum.php?f=45
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:36 pm, edited 8 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #6

Post by myth-one.com »

1213 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:40 am
Sherlock Holmes wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:36 pm How many of you can answer, without reaching out to "leadership" whether using this symbol to represent yourself as a Christian is right or wrong?
Why would it be wrong?I personally think that good works and love should be the "symbol" of Christians, but, that fish symbol is not bad in my opinion.

...By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another."
John 13:34-35
I agree. We are to be "fishers of men":
Matthew 4:19 wrote:And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Personally, I believe a CROSS is the most recognized symbol of Christianity. But the fish is OK also.

Savant

Post #7

Post by 1213 »

myth-one.com wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:10 pm ...
Personally, I believe a CROSS is the most recognized symbol of Christianity. But the fish is OK also.
I think cross is ok, if it is because of this:

Whoever wants to come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Mark 8:34

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #8

Post by 2timothy316 »

Symbols was not what Jesus said would make his followers stand out.
“By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:35.
Love toward each other would identify Christ's followers, not a symbol.

Jehovah's Witnesses have used symbols less and less over the years due to these scriptures.
"God is a Spirit, and those worshipping him must worship with spirit and truth.” - John 4:24
"“Therefore, watch yourselves closely...that you may not act corruptly by making for yourselves any carved image having the form of any symbol." - Deut 4:15
“Flee from idolatry” 1Co 10:14

Even though we are not under the Mosaic Law the Bible says, “Keep strict watch that how you walk is not as unwise but as wise persons, buying out the opportune time for yourselves, because the days are wicked. On this account cease becoming unreasonable, but go on perceiving what the will of Jehovah is.”​—Ephesians 5:15-17.

Based on our perception of God's Word, we have determined that we should use no symbols in worship or even use them as an identifier. Even the symbol of a watchtower has been diminished in the past few decades. We used to put that on everything but now it's found primarily on the magazine it was made for. We do not wear buttons of it and the only some of the older Kingdom Halls and some newer major buildings have that symbol. We might be fond of that symbol but we don't plaster it everywhere like the fish or the cross. (put in on our cars, wear jewelry, etc)

onewithhim
Savant

Post #9

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to 2timothy316 in post #8]

I agree with JehovahsWitness and 2timothy, and we are all three Jehovah's Witnesses.