Organizations

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Sherlock Holmes

Organizations

Post #1

Post by Sherlock Holmes »

Over many years I've developed the view that organizations (for example Watchtower, LDS, Charismatics and so on) are completely unnecessary and a source of confusion, sometimes even fear and misery, for people.

Each of these has some specific set of rules or beliefs that distinguish them from the others and one is expected to embrace and support those beliefs in order to remain (or at least be accepted as) a member.

I have nothing against consulting others, seeking opinions, discussing stuff with others but I am against the whole organization, member, rules, etc structure to Christianity.

My own understanding today is that Christ speaks to me, influences my spirit, as and when I read scripture or think about scripture or God in any way, I have no need for some intercessor.

If I do not understand something I pray on it, I either take steps to learn more or leave it in God's hands, leave it simply as "I don't understand", I am fine and I think God is fine with that.

One of the many problems with organizations like those listed, is that they set themselves up as those who do understand, they encourage individuals to consult them, listen to them when we should really rely on God primarily.

Representatives of these organizations typically try to avoid ever saying "I don't know" as if they'd appear weak to do so. They like to have answers to questions and it seems to me that sometimes having an answer is more important than admitting that they don't know.

I became close (during the 1980s) to the former WWCG, led by the late Herbert Armstrong, I found their literature thought provoking (I spent a lot if time in libraries back then, and contrasted WWCG with JWs and others) but never became a "member", because despite finding much sense in their literature I remained unconvinced about some of their rules, for example tithing, and this was one of the things stopping me from "joining".

Since Armstrong died (and the entire group fragmented with much fall out and misery for some) I've learned to rely primarily on God to guide me, the scripture being a written representation of Christ, able to impart knowledge and understanding, or at least provide the impetus for it, when I choose to consult it, to rely upon it.

Am I in a minority here? are very very few Christians decoupled from formal organizations or is my attitude regarded as heretical by some?

Candle
Student

Re: Organizations

Post #31

Post by Candle »

[Replying to Sherlock Holmes in post #1]

What you are saying makes perfect sense. The hierarchy of believers is meant to be congregational, not national or global.

Most organizations would fall into the category of "Nicolaitans." Nike is the goddess of victory. Laity is the common person. "Victory over the commoners" is a common outcome of organizational structure. Jesus hates that. (Revelation 2:6, 2:15)

The only guard against such is the Torah. If the teaching agrees with the Torah, it is sound. If it contradicts Torah, it is unsound. (Deuteronomy 13. Matthew 5:18-19)

Submitting to the authority of a teacher is wise. Submitting to a teacher who cannot be challenged is unwise.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Organizations

Post #32

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Candle wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:17 pm

...The hierarchy of believers is meant to be congregational, not national or global.
1 PETER 5: 9 ESV

Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8