2# Is death ... the end?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Psalm 73:23-25
Holman Christian Standard Bible
23 Yet I am always with You;
You hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with Your counsel,
and afterward You will take me up in glory.
25 Who do I have in heaven but You?
And I desire nothing on earth but You.
Psalm 73 is saying that God guides and then afterwards, after they die, they are taken up in glory to God?

Anyone want to disagree and explain how it really means the psalmist is stuck dead in a grave and tell me how glorious that is?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Candle
Student

Re: 2# Is death ... the end?

Post #21

Post by Candle »

Wootah wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:07 pm
Psalm 73:23-25
Holman Christian Standard Bible
23 Yet I am always with You;
You hold my right hand.
24 You guide me with Your counsel,
and afterward You will take me up in glory.
25 Who do I have in heaven but You?
And I desire nothing on earth but You.
Psalm 73 is saying that God guides and then afterwards, after they die, they are taken up in glory to God?

Anyone want to disagree and explain how it really means the psalmist is stuck dead in a grave and tell me how glorious that is?
"You guide me with Your counsel, and afterward You will take me up in glory," is not claiming that a person "goes to heaven when they die."

In fact, it does NOT say "after they die, they are taken up to heaven."

It only says afterward. Sometime after we die, we will be resurrected to face judgment.

Death as sleep:
Sleep.
Deuteronomy 31:16 And the Lord said unto Moses, Behold, thou shalt sleep with thy fathers; and this people will rise up, and go a whoring after the gods of the strangers of the land, whither they go to be among them, and will forsake me, and break my covenant which I have made with them.

2 Samuel 7:12 And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.

1 Kings 1:21 Otherwise it shall come to pass, when my lord the king shall sleep with his fathers, that I and my son Solomon shall be counted offenders.

1 Kings 2:10 So David slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David.

1 Kings 11:43 And Solomon slept with his fathers, and was buried in the city of David his father: and Rehoboam his son reigned in his stead.

1 Kings 14:20 And the days which Jeroboam reigned were two and twenty years: and he slept with his fathers, and Nadab his son reigned in his stead.

Here's a Psalm that challenges your interpretation.
Psalm 13:3 Consider and hear me, O Lord my God: lighten mine eyes, lest I sleep the sleep of death;

And Jesus challenges it:
Matthew 27:51-53 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent; And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

John 11:11-14 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

1 Corinthians 15:6 After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.

1 Corinthians 15:18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.

1 Corinthians 15:51-52 Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-17 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

1 Thessalonians 5:9-10 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.

2 Peter 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.

"For the living know that they will die, but the dead know nothing" (Ecclesiastes 9:5 RSV)

The "die and go to heaven" doctrine is Roman, not Biblical.

Wootah
Savant

Post #22

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to Candle in post #21]

When you sleep you aren't dead, your mind is very active. Do you have any other verses that support your ideas?

https://bible.org/question/soul-sleep%E ... ond-coming

https://bible.org/seriespage/what-death ... ver-christ

edit: We can all see death is the end and no one thinks someone that is dead is sleeping and then we read the Bible and it uses the word sleep. This means the Bible does not think death is the end but it is like a body in the dirt/bed and an active brain/soul. The Bible doesn't say they are dead until God resurrects them but uses the word sleep. However granted the main point of sleep is that they will wake up, the resurrection part, and not the brain activity while asleep.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Candle
Student

Post #23

Post by Candle »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:36 am [Replying to Candle in post #21]

When you sleep you aren't dead, your mind is very active. Do you have any other verses that support your ideas?

https://bible.org/question/soul-sleep%E ... ond-coming

https://bible.org/seriespage/what-death ... ver-christ

edit: We can all see death is the end and no one thinks someone that is dead is sleeping and then we read the Bible and it uses the word sleep. This means the Bible does not think death is the end but it is like a body in the dirt/bed and an active brain/soul. The Bible doesn't say they are dead until God resurrects them but uses the word sleep. However granted the main point of sleep is that they will wake up, the resurrection part, and not the brain activity while asleep.
Yeah. I've got 50 more verses that support the idea.

I cited more in my response than both Bible.org articles combined.

Yes. The Bible uses the word "sleep."

In never uses the phrase, "are in heaven."

onewithhim
Savant

Post #24

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]

There is nothing in that passage that would lead us to believe that when a person dies he is taken to heaven. Neither thing is mentioned. This Psalm is cross-referenced to Psalm 37:34, which shows the meaning of what we are discussing here: "Hope in Jehovah and follow his way, and he will exalt you to take possession of the earth. When the wicked are done away with, you will see it."