The Standing of Book of Revelation

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

The Standing of Book of Revelation

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

Let me be clear: the Revelation is perhaps the most difficult book in the Bible, I think.
There are several reasons. The style of writing seems to be that of an epic poem that describes the course of Earth as a huge drama of heavenly proportions, ending with blissful Earth where all of humanity lives in harmony with each other and with the animals, with all of nature.

The Revelation also strikes me as a kind of clairvoyance, a view of the future. One expects a difficult future while also seeing, eventually, Heaven on Earth as the Prayer goes in the first book of the New Testament.
Full Definition of revelation
1a: an act of revealing or communicating divine truth
b: something that is revealed by God to humans
2a: an act of revealing to view or making known
b: something that is revealed
especially : an enlightening or astonishing disclosure
shocking revelations
c: a pleasant often enlightening surprise
her talent was a revelation
3capitalized : an apocalyptic writing addressed to early Christians of Asia Minor and included as a book in the New Testament
— called also Apocalypse
— see BIBLE TABLE
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revelation
Interpretation
Interpreters of Revelation normally fall into four groups:
* Preterists understand the book exclusively in terms of its first-century setting, claiming that most of its events have already taken place.
* Historicists take it as describing the long chain of events from Patmos to the end of history.
* Futurists place the book primarily in the end times.
* Idealists view it as symbolic pictures of such timeless truths as the victory of good over evil.
Fortunately, the fundamental truths of Revelation do not depend on adopting a particular point of view. They are available to anyone who will read the book for its overall message and resist the temptation to become overly enamored with the details.
- Bible Study Tools, https://www.biblestudytools.com/revelation/

I'm a Futurist, I guess, though I find we live in some kind of end times, bliss (or total destruction) in near future.

So, I would be cautious to give my heart to the view of God being evil based on a mere revelation that can even be said to an epic poem. I think it's more about wrapping up the New Testament and saying what huge importance it carries along with the Torah as people of Abraham given The Prayer, "come thy will on Earth as in Heaven". That's not in the heart of an evil God, I can tell you that.

Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Qfd:
- what is your view of the Revelation?
- do you agree of Revelation as a kind of clairvoyance?
- do you agree with Revelation as epic poem as style of writing?
- how much should we put into the Revelation?
- is the author of Revelation a disciple of Jesus? Maybe not? A scholar only?
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Veridican
Banned
Banned

Re: The Standing of Book of Revelation

Post #2

Post by Veridican »

Aetixintro wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:08 pm
Qfd:
It's not a poem. It's a prophecy. It has been unfolding since the first century. Granted, like an idealist, one can find timeless truths in it. The verses have a provincial meaning, but they also have a prophetic meaning for those who are living in the end times. We are in the end times. in 1993, we came to the end of the "Church Age." We are now in what I call the pre-tribulation era. This is the era where Veridicanism spreads.

I'm not trying to preach. I'm just stating what my view of Revelation is, which is what you asked for.

Right now, Revelation is the most important book a Veridican can have. I single out Veridican, because the Church Age is dead, so the classic Christians out there who are not becoming Veridicans are just spinning their wheels. They won't get the book of Revelation anyway. It's of no use to them now. Veridicans have already internalized the Gospels, so now is the time for them to turn their attention to the prophecy of Revelation. I have written a paper on the seven churches (the Church Age) and the advent of Veridicanism. You can read it here in .pdf.

The author of Revelation is utterly anonymous. If it is the same one who wrote the Gospel of John, it's still anonymous because the Gospel of John is anonymous. If it's some other John, we really know nothing about him, so he is still anonymous to us. And keep in mind, as my paper (and Rev. 3:1) initially points out, Revelation is not a letter to any actual church. Those actual first century churches at Ephesus, Smyrna, Thyatira, Sardis, Pergamum, Philadelphia, and Laodicea probably never heard of that John, and probably never saw a copy of Revelation.
All for Christ and only for Christ! :wave:

onewithhim
Savant

Re: The Standing of Book of Revelation

Post #3

Post by onewithhim »

Aetixintro wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:08 pm .
Let me be clear: the Revelation is perhaps the most difficult book in the Bible, I think.
There are several reasons. The style of writing seems to be that of an epic poem that describes the course of Earth as a huge drama of heavenly proportions, ending with blissful Earth where all of humanity lives in harmony with each other and with the animals, with all of nature.

The Revelation also strikes me as a kind of clairvoyance, a view of the future. One expects a difficult future while also seeing, eventually, Heaven on Earth as the Prayer goes in the first book of the New Testament.
Full Definition of revelation
1a: an act of revealing or communicating divine truth
b: something that is revealed by God to humans
2a: an act of revealing to view or making known
b: something that is revealed
especially : an enlightening or astonishing disclosure
shocking revelations
c: a pleasant often enlightening surprise
her talent was a revelation
3capitalized : an apocalyptic writing addressed to early Christians of Asia Minor and included as a book in the New Testament
— called also Apocalypse
— see BIBLE TABLE
- Merriam-Webster Dictionary, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revelation
Interpretation
Interpreters of Revelation normally fall into four groups:
* Preterists understand the book exclusively in terms of its first-century setting, claiming that most of its events have already taken place.
* Historicists take it as describing the long chain of events from Patmos to the end of history.
* Futurists place the book primarily in the end times.
* Idealists view it as symbolic pictures of such timeless truths as the victory of good over evil.
Fortunately, the fundamental truths of Revelation do not depend on adopting a particular point of view. They are available to anyone who will read the book for its overall message and resist the temptation to become overly enamored with the details.
- Bible Study Tools, https://www.biblestudytools.com/revelation/

I'm a Futurist, I guess, though I find we live in some kind of end times, bliss (or total destruction) in near future.

So, I would be cautious to give my heart to the view of God being evil based on a mere revelation that can even be said to an epic poem. I think it's more about wrapping up the New Testament and saying what huge importance it carries along with the Torah as people of Abraham given The Prayer, "come thy will on Earth as in Heaven". That's not in the heart of an evil God, I can tell you that.

Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Revelation

Qfd:
How could anybody think that God is evil? The book of Revelation was a message to us through John, an apostle and disciple of Jesus. It is so that we can get a grasp of what the last days will be like.

"A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his servants the things that must shortly take place [in the Lord's day; verse 10]....Happy is he who reads aloud and those who hear the words of this prophecy, and who observe the things written in it...." (Revelation 1:1,3)

John saw all of this in a vision. I don't really think you'd call it "clairvoyance." Anyway, it is important to read it and pray for understanding. It is almost all symbolic, and there are great truths expressed in that format. It indicates to us what will happen to the wicked, and how the disciples of Jesus and servants of God will come through the Great Tribulation and into the new system of things on this planet. It is truly good news.

"[God] will wipe out every tear from our eyes, and even death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things will pass away." (Revelation 21:4)