Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Paul - after his conversion

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Hi
I am new here.

My question is about Paul. I am reading John Pollock's biography which I regard as excellent.
He writes that it was three years after the dramatic blindness and conversion that Paul began preaching and ministering.
I wonder how he grew in his knowledge during those preparatory years?
The disciples welcomed him upon his return to Damascus but the apostles were much more wary for a while. Yet those who first heard him preach at the synagogue were amazed at his knowledge and the difference in him.

Forgive me if I have any of the facts incorrect, but this is as I understand matters. I know Paul was a great scholar anyway, but even so, from what sources would he have built his knowledge of Jesus whilst he was not in touch with Jesus' closest followers?

tam
Savant

Re: Paul - after his conversion

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you (and welcome!),
Rose2020 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:19 am Hi
I am new here.

My question is about Paul. I am reading John Pollock's biography which I regard as excellent.
He writes that it was three years after the dramatic blindness and conversion that Paul began preaching and ministering.
The disciples welcomed him upon his return to Damascus but the apostles were much more wary for a while. Yet those who first heard him preach at the synagogue were amazed at his knowledge and the difference in him.

Forgive me if I have any of the facts incorrect, but this is as I understand matters. I know Paul was a great scholar anyway, but even so, from what sources would he have built his knowledge of Jesus whilst he was not in touch with Jesus' closest followers?

Paul learned from Christ, the Word of God who lives and speaks and teaches (the Teacher) and calls His sheep by name (John 10:14-16, 27).

Some examples of Christ speaking (and the Spirit being mentioned in these examples is Christ, see 2 Corinth 3:18):

The Spirit told Philip, "Go to that chariot and stay near it." Acts 8:29

In Damascus, there was a disciple named Ananias. The Lord called to him in a vision, "Ananias!"

"Yes Lord," he answered.

The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying. In a vision he has seen a man named Ananias come and place his hands on him to restore his sight."
(Acts 9:10,11... and it continues)

There is Peter's vision telling him that he should eat foods that he considered unclean - teaching Peter about Gentiles - and then after his vision:

While Peter was still thinking about the vision, the Spirit said to him, "Simon, three men are looking for you. So get up and go downstairs. Do not hesitate to go with them, for I have sent them." (Acts 10: 9-20)

As well, the entire book of Revelation is from Christ to John.

Also, just a small correction, but Paul did start preaching immediately. He just didn't go up to consult with any of the apostles until after three years:

At that instant, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and his sight was restored. He got up and was baptized, and after taking some food, he regained his strength. And he spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. Saul promptly began to proclaim [Jesus] in the synagogues, declaring, “He is the Son of God.”… (Acts 9:20)

And from Galatians 1:

I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin. 12 I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from [Jesus] Christ.

13 For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it. 14 I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. 15 But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased 16 to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being. 17 I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.

18 Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother. 20 I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.

Peace again to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Thankyou, very helpful.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

Is there a ' like' button on here? I fear I do not know how to do things yet.

tam
Savant

Post #5

Post by tam »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:03 pm Is there a ' like' button on here? I fear I do not know how to do things yet.
It's the little thumbs up icon bottom right of each post.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

William
Savant

Post #6

Post by William »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:19 am Hi
I am new here.

It is very feasible that Paul got his instruction directly from the Christ - Not from a second-hand medium.

Perhaps this caused concern for those who walked beside/behind biblical Jesus when he was earthbound...for they had gotten their instruction in that manner and understandably thought that this the only way it could be done, and now that Jesus was gone - it was up to them to share the news of his having been here.

We also have to include the knowledge that - while the disciples had first hand experience, they still did not understand a lot of what it was that Jesus had said - so the question to also ask is "Where did they get their instruction and growth in knowledge, once Jesus had left the planet?"

If indeed the Apostles where for the Jew and Paul for the Gentile - How successful were the apostles in convincing the Jew in relation to how successful Paul was in convincing the Gentile?

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:26 pm
It is very feasible that Paul got his instruction directly from the Christ - Not from a second-hand medium.
Given that Jesus was dead by the time Saul/Paul got involved in the game, it is perfectly impossible that Saul/Paul got any instructions from a dead guy. It is much more likely that Saul/Paul saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship from a dwindling Judaism to the latest upstart religion. He couldn't be a star in the fading religion, but could convince gullible Christians he received messages from a dead failed reformer of the fading Judaism.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #8

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]
Given that Jesus was dead by the time Saul/Paul got involved in the game, it is perfectly impossible that Saul/Paul got any instructions from a dead guy.
Sure - of you want to argue outside the story-line.

However, what has been proven about death that one can claim it is impossible that the human personality does not survive it?
It is much more likely that Saul/Paul saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship from a dwindling Judaism to the latest upstart religion.
It is possible he fabricated the whole story, but unlikely. What he gave up otherwise would have been squandered for something he knew to be a lie.
His written approach to the conundrum tells a different story. Something profound and unexpected caused him to renounce his post and take up another - far less secure post. [in materialistic terms]
He couldn't be a star in the fading religion, but could convince gullible Christians he received messages from a dead failed reformer of the fading Judaism.
Opinionated embitterment is noted. Nothing of any consequence can be argued against such a position, that would be noticed as relevant by those who hold such distain for the idea of the Mind of Creation.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to tam in post #5]

Got it, thanks.

I find Paul endlessly fascinating, a most inspiring figure. So much of the New Testament is due to him.The extraordinary ground he covered, the pain he endured, ending with the death by beheading after being imprisoned in a dungeon. Reading his letters to the churches resonates truth and love.
I was just curious, imagining how he spent those initial years before returning to Damascus to preach and cause such a stir that his life was in imminent peril. I am just blown away at his courage and life. All of which absolutely sprang from the effect of Jesus Christ in him.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:02 am [Replying to tam in post #5]

Got it, thanks.

I find Paul endlessly fascinating, a most inspiring figure.
I agree, Paul is one of my favorite bible characters. While he was evidently the recipiant of divine revelation we cannot underestimate the input of the brothers in Damascus.

Anyway, I will share the reference page of my bible encylopedia under PAUL.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1200274364

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8