The First Disciples

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

The First Disciples

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

In reading Mathew 4, v18 - 22 it is clear that Peter, Andrew, James, John dropped everything and followed Jesus without hesitation.
What a thought! They must have got families, yet look how they responded to just those brief astoundingly powerful words. Their lives changed in that moment.

What can we learn and apply to our lives from this? For me it means do not hesitate, for when you hear the voice of Jesus, it is unmistakable. Our part is obedience and trust, even into the unknown future.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: The First Disciples

Post #2

Post by 2timothy316 »

For me, it's a reminder to cultivate faith. The first disciples were not born with faith. They didn't blindly follow the first person that said they were Jesus. They had to cultivate faith to know Jesus' voice when they heard it. So many of the Jews did not cultivate faith. Jesus makes mention of this in Luke 13:7. One must know who the proper person is to 'drop everything for'.

How does one know Jesus voice? Not by sound but by what is being taught.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am In reading Mathew 4, v18 - 22 it is clear that Peter, Andrew, James, John dropped everything and followed Jesus without hesitation.
What a thought! They must have got families, yet look how they responded to just those brief astoundingly powerful words. Their lives changed in that moment.

What can we learn and apply to our lives from this? For me it means do not hesitate, for when you hear the voice of Jesus, it is unmistakable. Our part is obedience and trust, even into the unknown future.
It was a much simpler life back then, and I doubt they had many responsibilities, so the risk was low.

Plus they probably had already seen or heard of Jesus prior to the point of their calling, and wouldn't have mind rolling around with the "rock star" that Jesus was. :D
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:56 am In reading Mathew 4, v18 - 22 it is clear that Peter, Andrew, James, John dropped everything and followed Jesus without hesitation.
What a thought! They must have got families,
Assuming the families you're talking about are those arising out of personal marriage, the only one among the four in the Bible who was married was Peter, so we can't say for certain that Andrew, James, or John were. Maybe yes, maybe no.

yet look how they responded to just those brief astoundingly powerful words.
What "astoundingly powerful words" were those, "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men”? Sorry, but I honestly don't see what's so powerful about them at all. All they signify is a change in objective; instead of netting fish they will net people. Image

Their lives changed in that moment.
How do you know? Is this written somewhere? My guess would be that their life would be different for sure, but not at the moment Jesus uttered those words.

As We_Are_Venom pointed out, "they probably had already seen or heard of Jesus prior to the point of their calling, and wouldn't have mind rolling around with the "rock star" that Jesus was." In fact, they may have been patiently waiting all day long for Jesus's order.

onewithhim
Savant

Post #5

Post by onewithhim »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]
As timothy said, it depends on what is being taught. Many religions claim to hear Jesus' voice, but do they actually walk in his footsteps? (I Peter 2:21) It is important to find a religion that closely follows Jesus' instructions.

Do they refuse to kill? (Matthew 5:44)
Do they stay out of politics? (John 17:14-16)
Do they honor and use God's personal name? (John 17:6,26)
Do they preach about God's own government? (Isaiah 9:6,7; Daniel 2:44; Matthew 6:9,10; Matthew 24:14)

These are some things that Jesus gave us instructions about, and it is up to us to listen to him and act accordingly.