Moderator: Moderators

Revelations won
Sage

Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

Post #1

Post by Revelations won »

Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

If so by whom?

Who had the authority to close and strop revelations from God?

Approximately on what date did this occur?

Miles
Savant

Re: Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Revelations won wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:53 am Is the Cannon of Scripture Closed?

If so by whom?

Who had the authority to close and strop revelations from God?

Approximately on what date did this occur?
Aside from the "who did it" and "when," are you suggesting that god has more to reveal? Considering god's omniscience, and knowing what needed to be said to mankind for all time, don't you think he would have already said it? I mean, if there was more to be said why wait thousands of years to say it? Especially wait until now when so few people are Christians who would listen and take it to heart?

.............................. Image

Nah, God is finished with it all. The Cannon is closed.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Yes the bible Canon is presently closed.

We can conclude this because the Apostles authorised by Jesus to oversee the first century Christian congregation gave no indication of divine revelation beyond their lifetime. While the Hebrew canon* included promises of a future great Prophet, who would logically be subject to divine revelation (traditionally recorded in written form), the Christian greek scriptures contain no such opening. On the contrary, they contain warnings of a coming apostacy and curses upon unaurthorized additions.

*The Hebrew canon was closed many centuries before the Apostles lived; Christians were not adding to Hebrew the books of the Hebrew canon, they were creating their own

God does of course have the authority to reopen the bible canon at a future date but the "canon" or norm has been established. God assures us in scripture He will not do anything without firsg indicating his intentions. Thus unless claims of divine revelation are supported by prior scriptural indications and /or prophecy, harmonize completely with already existing canons and is accompanied by verifiable supernatural events as evident of divine approval, there is no reason to accept that he has.

To read more please go to other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , COMPILATION and ... AUTHORSHIP & TRANSMISSION
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to Revelations won in post #1]

The cannon is closed.

God can give any revelation He sees fit. However, to be part of the Christian Cannon a document must be written under apostolic authority. That is, written by an Apostle or under the authority of an Apostle.

One of the requirements to be an Apostle is to be sent by Jesus in the flesh.

Until Jesus returns in the flesh there can be no more true Apostles. Without an Apostle there can be no additional books of Scriptures.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:33 pm
However, to be part of the Christian Cannon a document must be written under apostolic authority. That is, written by an Apostle or under the authority of an Apostle.
The vast majority of the Christian Cannon was written before there were any apostles.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:44 pm
Nah, God is finished with it all. The Cannon is closed.
I suspect the Israelites thought the same thing and then came the Christians adding to their holy writ. The same is likely to happen when another group decides to coopt Christianity just as the Christians coopted Judaism.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

bjs1
Sage

Post #7

Post by bjs1 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:59 pm
However, to be part of the Christian Cannon a document must be written under apostolic authority. That is, written by an Apostle or under the authority of an Apostle.
The vast majority of the Christian Cannon was written before there were any apostles.

Tcg
What? You think that the majority of the Christian Cannon was written prior to 30 AD? That strikes me as highly unlikely.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:43 am
Tcg wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:59 pm

Tcg
What? You think that the majority of the Christian Cannon was written prior to 30 AD? That strikes me as highly unlikely.
What? You think that the Christian Cannon doesn't include the Old Testament? How many books are in the Bible you read?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

historia
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by historia »

I mean, if there was more to be said why wait thousands of years to say it? Especially wait until now when so few people are Christians who would listen and take it to heart?

I don't think that graph says what you think it says.

There are, after all, more people today who identify as Christian -- and they are more geographically dispersed, the point of the graph -- than at any other time in history.

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:57 am
I mean, if there was more to be said why wait thousands of years to say it? Especially wait until now when so few people are Christians who would listen and take it to heart?

I don't think that graph says what you think it says.

There are, after all, more people today who identify as Christian -- and they are more geographically dispersed, the point of the graph -- than at any other time in history.
If you're thinking the graph represents the distribution of all Christians, this couldn't be the case because as I read the percentages for 2100 they only add up to 50.5%.

18%
14%
9.5%
8%
1%
______
50.5%

Although. . . . . looking back at world religion stats it appears Christianity comprises less than 32% of the world's religions. Hmmmm?

................... Image . . . . . . Image

But what I really found interesting is that while Christianity is growing in numbers it's percentage of the world religions has been dramatically shrinking: SEE HERE (A cool animated graphic.)